Aldeer.com

chestnut trees

Posted By: BhamFred

chestnut trees - 10/09/18 11:23 PM

my chestnut trees right in front of the house are dropping chestnuts. Jap persimmons right next to them are loaded and ripening.
Posted By: trailertrash

Re: chestnut trees - 10/10/18 12:26 AM

I'm going to plant a few JP's this winter I believe. Anything I should know Fred? Where can I find them for sale?
Posted By: DEADorALIVE

Re: chestnut trees - 10/10/18 12:44 AM

I have 1 young Fuyu Persimmon tree in the orchard, and room for 3 or 4 more. The one tree I have up there put on a dozen fine looking fruits this year, and I was eager for them to ripen so I could at least see what they taste like before committing to any more up there.
We intermittently pasture 'Huntress's horse up there so he can mow and fertilize, but a couple weeks ago, he decided that all the persimmons were ripe enough to suit him and ate them off the tree...so now I have to wait for it to make again next year to see what they taste like.
...and the horse is banned from the orchard, I mow it myself, now.

Re: chestnut trees - 10/10/18 01:54 AM

I think I got the Japs from Walmart, same as chestnuts...from Chestnut hill nursery. I've got three grafted American Persimmon trees potted in back yard to put out this winter.

if you get american persimmon trees be sure to get female grafted trees so you will actually get fruit on them!!!!
Posted By: HHSyelper

Re: chestnut trees - 10/10/18 06:56 PM

BhamFred, you wouldn't by chance have a few chestnuts that a guy could try and plant. I would love to see if I could grow some from nuts.

Re: chestnut trees - 10/10/18 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by HHSyelper
BhamFred, you wouldn't by chance have a few chestnuts that a guy could try and plant. I would love to see if I could grow some from nuts.

I ought to be able to save you some, I'll get back to you
Posted By: ParrotHead89

Re: chestnut trees - 10/11/18 12:51 PM

I grew 20 from seed last spring. Very easy to do.

Re: chestnut trees - 10/12/18 06:30 PM

Thank, I appreciate it.
Posted By: .308

Re: chestnut trees - 10/16/18 09:17 AM

I love eating chestnuts but I'm not sure which variety is the best, I know some taste better than others.

Re: chestnut trees - 10/16/18 06:15 PM

Parrot, did you just stick them in a pot out side or did you start them some other way? I'm excited about trying to grow some, if BhamFred has some to spare.
Posted By: Strictlybow

Re: chestnut trees - 10/18/18 04:52 PM

Put them in a pot outside and protect it from squirrels.

I picked a bunch up off the ground from my trees last week. My chestnuts are way out producing the sawtooths that I planted all at same time. I have some 2 year old chestnut trees ready to plant this winter.

If Bfred doesn’t have any let me know and I’ll shoot you a couple.
Posted By: Uokman2014

Re: chestnut trees - 10/19/18 01:41 PM

What kind of Chestnut trees are you guys growing? Do they have wicked thorns on the seed pods? I've got on on my property that has thorned seed pods that will flatten the tires on my mower! The nuts don't last long once the deer find them though...
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: chestnut trees - 10/19/18 11:12 PM

Deer will eat every one of them. Deer crap all over the place under ours right now.id love to see how they get the chesnuts out of that burr.

Re: chestnut trees - 10/25/18 05:05 PM

You have to store them in the Fridge during the winter,

Re: chestnut trees - 10/25/18 05:06 PM

I then started them inside about March in a South facing window.

Re: chestnut trees - 10/26/18 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by HHSyelper

I got all I could beat the deer to!!!, got em in a baggie in the fridge. I'll save you some.
Posted By: Teacher One

Re: chestnut trees - 10/29/18 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by BhamFred
my chestnut trees right in front of the house are dropping chestnuts.

Troy, do your chestnut trees have a seed pod that is covered with stickers. My father had some planted years ago and you couldn't walk or cut the grass around them for the stickers on the fruit. I cut them down because the kids would step on them and I had to dig the stickers out of their feet. They were terrible. I just couldn't see a deer eating the nut because of the stickers.

B

Re: chestnut trees - 10/30/18 12:11 AM

thats the ones I have. The seed pods will fall to the ground and then open on their own and spill the seeds(nuts). The deer don't open them.
Posted By: Tigger85

Re: chestnut trees - 10/30/18 02:09 AM

Most that I've seen this year didn't fill out
© 2024 ALDEER.COM