Aldeer.com

Sweet Potato Haul... Green Field Gardening

Posted By: treemydog

Sweet Potato Haul... Green Field Gardening - 09/11/18 06:22 PM

My pop used to grow them years ago, but this is the first time I've tried them. Planted in mid May (dry in mid-late April) from slips that I got from Brett Haynes from Cullman. They turned out awesome for greenfield gardening... and I still have 25-30 vines to dig. Hopefully I can get this many again next weekend when I finish digging them.

Pics to follow.
Posted By: Reno

Re: Sweet Potato Haul... Green Field Gardening - 09/11/18 06:26 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: Sweet Potato Haul... Green Field Gardening - 09/11/18 07:47 PM

sweet......tater
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Sweet Potato Haul... Green Field Gardening - 09/12/18 12:03 AM

Sweet tater fries!
Posted By: Hunting-231

Re: Sweet Potato Haul... Green Field Gardening - 09/12/18 12:42 AM

I love baked sweet potatoes.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Sweet Potato Haul... Green Field Gardening - 09/15/18 10:03 PM

Wow. there's some good uns on that tail gate. Deer love those things. I'm surprised they haven't dug em up and eaten them.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Sweet Potato Haul... Green Field Gardening - 09/16/18 12:51 PM

I scattered a sack of sweet potatoes in an area that we had set up as a feed station after the season last year and they laid there till they rotted. There were a couple of pictures of possums and coons nibbling on them, but the deer didn't eat them for some reason.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Sweet Potato Haul... Green Field Gardening - 09/16/18 04:19 PM

I use to have a chicken grower that raised sweet potatoes. I could get his culls, really, really cheap. I brought some home and piled them up over on the edge of a field. It took the deer quite a while to try them, but once they did they were gone quickly.
Posted By: Maggie123

Re: Sweet Potato Haul... Green Field Gardening - 09/17/18 08:34 PM

Love me some sweet taters!! Last time I grew them in one of my raised beds, the ants became problematic. I still got a good harvest but the ants got their fair share too.
Posted By: treemydog

Re: Sweet Potato Haul... Green Field Gardening - 09/18/18 02:04 PM

I was very pleased how they turned out. Had just enough rain at the right time to make a few good ones. I use Milorganite to keep the deer out of the garden and it works. I have a little more to dig, hopefully, I'll get this many more from the vines that are left.
Posted By: hoggin

Re: Sweet Potato Haul... Green Field Gardening - 12/02/18 02:16 PM

I used to buy culls by the trailer load in Cullman to feed deer,9-10 ton divided in 12 locations would disappear quickly
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Sweet Potato Haul... Green Field Gardening - 12/08/18 02:39 AM

Malathion
© 2024 ALDEER.COM