Aldeer.com

Fig time

Posted By: FurFlyin

Fig time - 07/29/18 11:20 PM

I love figs. They're one of those things that make summer bearable. Just now getting the first big crop of ripe ones.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Fig time - 07/29/18 11:31 PM

I was up at a friends house the other day and he said for me to get all I wanted. I walked over to the bush and his chickens, mocking birds and June bugs had ruined every ripe one on the tree.
Posted By: Turkeyboy

Re: Fig time - 07/30/18 01:09 AM

Put up 13 pints and frozen 3 gallons so far.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Fig time - 07/30/18 02:37 AM

Mine are coming in ones and twos, and I'm having to beat the birds to them. The ones I get are tasty.

Re: Fig time - 07/30/18 01:38 PM

Turkeyboy, what do you fix with the frozen ones?
Posted By: blade

Re: Fig time - 07/30/18 07:10 PM

We had a bumper crop. Ours are full blown by first of July. Trick question, fruit or vegetable or neither? Also, have you ever seen a fig tree sprouting up from a fallen fig?
Posted By: paulfish4570

Re: Fig time - 07/30/18 07:42 PM

mine ain't ripe yet, but i have a bunch of 'em on my only tree/shrub ...
Posted By: Maggie123

Re: Fig time - 07/30/18 10:09 PM

Just like paulfish4570...mine ain't ready yet but my young bush is loaded!!! Cannot wait for them to ripen!!! So far, the chickens have not bothered them.
Posted By: BamaGrad85

Re: Fig time - 07/31/18 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Maggie123
Just like paulfish4570...mine ain't ready yet but my young bush is loaded!!! Cannot wait for them to ripen!!! So far, the chickens have not bothered them.

Same here in my neck of the woods. 2 of my 4 bushes are loaded. They're green but keeping an eye on them.
Posted By: Out back

Re: Fig time - 08/31/18 03:17 AM

I been picking mine through August.
I think the first ones were ripe in late July.
Still got plenty of green ones coming out too..
I got a gallon size zip bag full this evening.
Posted By: DEADorALIVE

Re: Fig time - 08/31/18 05:19 AM

My three trees are still very young...I've been picking 1 or 2 ripe ones a day for the past week. I need to go check the check the tree next door, though...it was loaded, last time I look, just not ripe yet.

Re: Fig time - 09/03/18 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Out back

If yours are anything like mine, that last crop of green ones won't be worth a crap when they get ripe.

Re: Fig time - 09/04/18 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by FurFlyin

If yours are anything like mine, that last crop of green ones won't be worth a crap when they get ripe.

You are right. The last ones aren’t edible. I wonder why?

Re: Fig time - 09/04/18 12:25 PM

My mom and one of my aunts can make fig preserves, right up to the last fig of the season, and it all tastes fantastic. I'm not sure what their secret is, but I'll keep picking the figs til the very last one.

Re: Fig time - 09/04/18 10:44 PM

My mom and one of my aunts can make fig preserves, right up to the last fig of the season, and it all tastes fantastic. I'm not sure what their secret is, but I'll keep picking the figs til the very last one.

The secret is the sugar haha. Even in preserves we can tell the difference in the last batch of ours. Much different texture. Ours are brown turkey figs.

Re: Fig time - 09/04/18 10:46 PM

By the way, none of y’all played along with my fig trivia above. Someone chime in.

Re: Fig time - 09/05/18 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by blade
By the way, none of y’all played along with my fig trivia above. Someone chime in.

My aunt says it about the amount of fruit on the tree.
More figs ripen faster and sweeter. When you get down to the last of the unripened figs, they are much slower and not as sweet. Something to do with the gasses released by the ripening process.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM