Aldeer.com

Blossom end rot

Posted By: turkey_killer

Blossom end rot - 05/27/18 12:45 PM

[Linked Image]upload photos

Started noticing it on some of my tomatoes. I had hoped putting all those egg shells around them when I planted them would prevent this. Guess they didn't break down fast enough
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Blossom end rot - 05/27/18 01:22 PM

Get some liquid lime or liquid blossom end rot treatment, it will take a little while to get in the plant, but there isn't a choice.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Blossom end rot - 05/27/18 01:25 PM

I've tried egg shells in the past without success. side dress em with lime or spray em like timbercruiser said.
Posted By: MS_Hunter

Re: Blossom end rot - 05/27/18 11:02 PM

I have had the same thing. Been putting the epsom salt to them like crazy. I'm either going to kill them or take care of the blossom rot, one way or the other.

Re: Blossom end rot - 05/27/18 11:10 PM

I've used epsom salts with success

Re: Blossom end rot - 05/28/18 01:45 AM

https://www.burpee.com/gardening-supplies/vegetable-fertilizers/organic-garden-lime-prod022801.html

I ordered 5 packs of this today. It's 75% off. Reviews say it works for BLossom end rot.

Also, bought something called tomato tone (I think) at Walmart and put that and more crushed egg shells around the plants. Got a big rain after I put all that out there. Tried picking all the badvlooking ones off. Hopefully, it won't happen to all of them

Does the epsom salt seem to be working for you or is it too soon to tell?
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Blossom end rot - 05/28/18 01:51 PM

LIME.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Blossom end rot - 05/28/18 02:28 PM

Heavily lime your garden this fall.

Some blossom end rot is unavoidable due to weather during pollination but all plants need calcium.

You can also put powdered milk around the plants.

Re: Blossom end rot - 05/28/18 05:12 PM

Have some lime on the way. Probably a dumb question, but are there any vegetables that I don't need to put lime around?
Posted By: Ru2hunt

Re: Blossom end rot - 05/29/18 12:18 PM

I have always raised a very large garden and usually set out a hundred tomatoes if not way more! I always dealt with blossom end rot and would usually throw a wheel barrow load away while picking ....until I had an old truck farmer give me some advice! He told me to get a bag of "basic slag" and put a handful under my plants when i plant them! I cant speak for anyone else but it has absolutely worked for me! I have been doing this for probably ten years and I bet i have not thrown a bucket full away since then! I do the same thing under my pepper plants also.

Re: Blossom end rot - 05/29/18 02:30 PM

and you will need to relime after all this rain.....
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Blossom end rot - 05/29/18 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by turkey_killer
Have some lime on the way. Probably a dumb question, but are there any vegetables that I don't need to put lime around?

No. Don't lime blueberry bushes, but those aren't vegetables anyway. LOL
© 2024 ALDEER.COM