Aldeer.com

What kind of mater's are y'all planting?

Posted By: 300gr

What kind of mater's are y'all planting? - 05/06/18 02:04 AM

I've got cherry tomatoes,Atkinson,better boy,parks Whopper and celebrity planted.104 total.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: What kind of mater's are y'all planting? - 05/06/18 02:51 AM

10% red cherry 100, yellow cherrys, and a couple three others9I change every year)
90% better boys(60 plants)
Posted By: Luke Stepp

Re: What kind of mater's are y'all planting? - 05/06/18 03:24 AM

Mostly Better Boys, celebrities, marion, early girl and Paul Robeson. I have some oddball heirlooms as well.
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: What kind of mater's are y'all planting? - 05/06/18 03:25 AM

I bought yellow tomato plant and a purple one to see what they'll look like. A few better boys and cherry tomato plants as usual.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: What kind of mater's are y'all planting? - 05/06/18 08:29 PM

Better boy, whoppers and purple cherokee so far. But I don’t have but 7 plants out and will put 7 moreout in about 2-3 weeks and some more out in about the same time frame.
Posted By: turkey_killer

Re: What kind of mater's are y'all planting? - 05/06/18 09:29 PM

I planted beefsteak
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: What kind of mater's are y'all planting? - 05/06/18 10:44 PM

Big boy's
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: What kind of mater's are y'all planting? - 05/06/18 11:06 PM

Celebrity, atkinson, mountain fresh, marglobe. 36 of each
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: What kind of mater's are y'all planting? - 05/07/18 01:14 AM

3 better boys and a golden cherry the guy that gave it to me called a little blonde girl.
Posted By: blade

Re: What kind of mater's are y'all planting? - 05/07/18 01:28 AM

All heirlooms, 1884, aftershock, Amish paste, Anna banana, big zac, Black Ethiopian, cuostralee, green giant, Paul Robeson, tatis wedding.
Posted By: hgmike

Re: What kind of mater's are y'all planting? - 05/07/18 01:54 AM

12 better boys and 4 big boys.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: What kind of mater's are y'all planting? - 05/07/18 02:12 AM

Probably get 3 or 4 Beefsteak and a few Bush plants.

Re: What kind of mater's are y'all planting? - 05/07/18 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by blade
All heirlooms, 1884, aftershock, Amish paste, Anna banana, big zac, Black Ethiopian, cuostralee, green giant, Paul Robeson, tatis wedding.

My heirlooms quit producing in the heat and get the blight. I always plant them and hope for a few off each plant, but the hybrids are much sturdier for the humidity and heat down here. You might want to pick up a few hybrids just as a backup. FYI - Paul Robeson has been one of the hardiest heirlooms I've planted.
Posted By: Maggie123

Re: What kind of mater's are y'all planting? - 05/07/18 07:21 PM

Better Boy, Bonnie Original, and the remainder are all hybrids: Honey Bunch, Shimmer, Black Pearl, Golden Mama, Orange Wallington, Atlas, Damsel, Porterhouse and Razzle Dazzle. 23 plants in all.

Re: What kind of mater's are y'all planting? - 05/08/18 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Luke Stepp

My heirlooms quit producing in the heat and get the blight. I always plant them and hope for a few off each plant, but the hybrids are much sturdier for the humidity and heat down here. You might want to pick up a few hybrids just as a backup. FYI - Paul Robeson has been one of the hardiest heirlooms I've planted.

I pretty much plant these varieties every year. The black varieties are by far my favorites. Occasionally I’ll have a plant that doesn’t produce. Typically tho I have good luck with them. Most heirloom tomatoes won’t pollinate with temps over 95 degrees. If you can keep them alive and healthy tho, sometimes they will start back as the temps drop.

Re: What kind of mater's are y'all planting? - 05/08/18 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Luke Stepp

I pretty much plant these varieties every year. The black varieties are by far my favorites. Occasionally I’ll have a plant that doesn’t produce. Typically tho I have good luck with them. Most heirloom tomatoes won’t pollinate with temps over 95 degrees. If you can keep them alive and healthy tho, sometimes they will start back as the temps drop.

Agree. I tried some different purples/blacks last year and didn't have much luck.
Posted By: Maggie123

Re: What kind of mater's are y'all planting? - 05/09/18 08:52 PM

I have found lots of heirloom varieties are determinate and try not to have too many of them because your yield is limited. Not sure how you decide on variety but that’s a part of my choices.

Determinates stop growing when fruit sets on the top bud. All the tomatoes from the plant ripen at approximately the same time (usually over period of 1- 2 weeks). ... Indeterminate tomatoes will grow and produce fruit until killed by frost.

Posted By: Papagator

Re: What kind of mater's are y'all planting? - 05/18/18 05:51 PM

Cherokee purple, Atkinson, homestead and better boys
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: What kind of mater's are y'all planting? - 05/18/18 05:59 PM

heirlooms plants are fun to play with but for mater production it's Better Boys for me.

Re: What kind of mater's are y'all planting? - 05/19/18 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by BhamFred
heirlooms plants are fun to play with but for mater production it's Better Boys for me.

I love the heirlooms to eat.
Posted By: Todd1700

Re: What kind of mater's are y'all planting? - 05/25/18 01:27 AM

Big Beef, Better Boy, Cherokee Purple, German Queen, and Parks Whopper Improved.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM