Aldeer.com

Cow had twins...rejecting one

Posted By: turkey_killer

Cow had twins...rejecting one - 04/22/18 03:34 AM

I have a cow that had twins today. She keeps head butting one of them any time it's close to her. I tried rubbing the afterbirth on the calf to see if that would help. She still isn't accepting it. She favors the other calf and seems to be very motherly toward it. This is her second and third calf. Last time she had one, I put 2 additional calves on her by putting her in a head catch and letting the orphan calves nurse. I've put her rejected calf on her twice this evening by putting the mom in a head catch. I guess I'll keep doing this until he is too big and persistent for her to keep away.

I read online about a product called O NO MO (short for orphan no more) that you put on the calf to get the mom to accept it. People seem to like it a lot and say it works great. Have any of you had experience with this product?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

image hosting free
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Cow had twins...rejecting one - 04/22/18 05:14 AM

Poor little feller
Posted By: Mason85

Re: Cow had twins...rejecting one - 04/22/18 03:34 PM

If it's a beef type mother then bottle that twin for a week and take it to the nearest sale barn. You will be money ahead to let her raise 1 good calf and get your $100+ out of the bottle twin. Rarely can/will they raise good twins but it does happen. Good luck

Re: Cow had twins...rejecting one - 04/22/18 03:44 PM

She is part jersey I think. Bought her from a guy the bought trailer loads of calves and I raised her on goats milk. She has a huge bag so I don't think supply will be an issue. I am thinking about selling him though. Here are some pics of her a few days before she had them and right after having them.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MS_Hunter

Re: Cow had twins...rejecting one - 04/22/18 04:30 PM

I know absolutely nothing about raising cows but that seems weird that she would reject 1 of them.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Cow had twins...rejecting one - 04/22/18 04:43 PM

deer do it pretty commonly. And those abandonded fawns don't usually do well with human help. Sometimes there is a reason momma kicked em to the curb.
Posted By: MS_Hunter

Re: Cow had twins...rejecting one - 04/22/18 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by BhamFred
deer do it pretty commonly. And those abandonded fawns don't usually do well with human help. Sometimes there is a reason momma kicked em to the curb.

Makes sense
Posted By: DEADorALIVE

Re: Cow had twins...rejecting one - 04/26/18 05:00 PM

TK, how's that calf doing?
Posted By: inatree

Re: Cow had twins...rejecting one - 04/27/18 12:17 AM

My granddaddy would spray the cows nose with hairspray when they rejected one. He said it did something with the scent .
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: Cow had twins...rejecting one - 04/27/18 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by inatree
My granddaddy would spray the cows nose with hairspray when they rejected one. He said it did something with the scent .

Lol I bet it did
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Cow had twins...rejecting one - 04/27/18 01:41 AM

I've seen them not take a twin. Just remember, if one calf is a bull and one calf is a heifer, the heifer will be sterile. They are known as a Free-martin. Don't try to raise her as a replacement heifer.

Yes, the cow definitely has Jersey in her. She could easily handle two calves.

I rubbed peanut butter all over the back of a calf once to get the mother to take it. I honestly can't remember if it worked or not.

Re: Cow had twins...rejecting one - 04/28/18 09:49 AM

The calf is doing good. I'm still having to go out there so it can eat though. Someone told me to try vanilla on the calf. Sounds about like the peanut butter idea. May give one of those a try. They are both bull calves. Never heard about using hairspray for it, but I guess anything to disrupt the scent may work.
Posted By: deerfeeder89

Re: Cow had twins...rejecting one - 04/29/18 04:35 PM

If your puting her in a head catch and letting the calf nurse she'll will eventually take the calf after it gets scent from her milk through it like you did with the nurse calves you mentioned before. The vanilla, peanut butter, honey, syrup on the calf is all the same it just mask the calfs scent.

Re: Cow had twins...rejecting one - 05/09/18 02:53 PM

[Linked Image]

Both of them are growing good. She hasn't totally accepted the other one, but I think the situation is getting better. I saw it sneaking a drink while the other calf was nursing. The mom is getting skinny looking even though she is getting all kinds of extras.
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: Cow had twins...rejecting one - 05/09/18 04:58 PM

Good deal
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Cow had twins...rejecting one - 05/10/18 02:51 AM

Those are cute little buggers.
Posted By: deerfeeder89

Re: Cow had twins...rejecting one - 05/26/18 03:09 AM

Those two calves look just like the heifer my jersey/Angus cross had
[Linked Image]
© 2024 ALDEER.COM