Aldeer.com

Chickens eating eggs.

Posted By: Slim1026

Chickens eating eggs. - 03/22/18 11:52 PM

I'm new to chickens. Bought a coop and got 3 RIRs at a flea market. Have one hen that eats the eggs. Has anyone else had that problem? And what do I need to do?
Posted By: countryjwh

Re: Chickens eating eggs. - 03/23/18 01:15 AM

You like to eat chicken?
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Chickens eating eggs. - 03/23/18 01:26 AM

I have always heard that they are wanting calcium, maybe a small sack of crushed oyster shells would help.
Posted By: Joe4majors

Re: Chickens eating eggs. - 03/23/18 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by countryjwh
You like to eat chicken?

Literally LOLed at that one...

Re: Chickens eating eggs. - 03/23/18 11:58 AM

Fried chicken was my first thought, but the kids ain't having it.
Posted By: Runningdeer

Re: Chickens eating eggs. - 03/23/18 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
I have always heard that they are wanting calcium, maybe a small sack of crushed oyster shells would help.

^^^^^
This
Posted By: Maggie123

Re: Chickens eating eggs. - 03/23/18 06:44 PM

Eggsactly...they need some calcium. My chickens free range all the time, except at night, and I still occasioinally give them a sack of crushed oyster shell.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Chickens eating eggs. - 03/23/18 09:45 PM

I remember feedind them oyster shells years ago when we had and egg farm.

Re: Chickens eating eggs. - 03/23/18 09:54 PM

I've given them oyster shell crumbles, but they don't seem interested. Google says it's about protein, but I'd rather have y'alls experience. Losing almost half my eggs, so I may just start over with a new flock.
Posted By: Maggie123

Re: Chickens eating eggs. - 03/23/18 10:40 PM

Try some meal worms and suet blocks first. I supplement those and oyster shell regularly. In addition, I give my girls old fashion plain oats. They love oats!.
Posted By: turkey_killer

Re: Chickens eating eggs. - 03/26/18 01:27 AM

Or you could feed them crushed egg shells. If none of this works, figure out which hen is doing it and cull her.
Posted By: AlabamaHuntress

Re: Chickens eating eggs. - 03/26/18 02:50 PM

You can try a diet change and added supplements as mentioned but I've never been able to break one from it once they start. Chicken and dumplings are great smile

Re: Chickens eating eggs. - 03/30/18 06:09 PM

Thanks for the advice. I ended up mixing the oyster shell in with their feed, instead of feeding it separate. I also put wooden eggs in the nesting boxes. And about every other day my kids take them a handful of treats. Mealworms, oats, raisins, peanuts, bird seed. Knock on wood, but it's been 4 days and no busted eggs. Production is up too! Each hen is giving us an egg a day now.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Chickens eating eggs. - 03/31/18 01:26 AM

Golf balls. That broke mine from eating eggs.
Posted By: 300gr

Re: Chickens eating eggs. - 04/06/18 09:29 PM

As mentioned oyster shell crumbles
Posted By: DEADorALIVE

Re: Chickens eating eggs. - 04/07/18 07:11 AM

I feed my hens laying pellets. It's balanced, so no supplementation is necessary. That said, I do occasionally give them treats...meal worms, horn worms from the garden, etc. On of their favorites is fresh yard clippings when we mow, or picked clover from the downhill side of their run. The only broken eggs we usually get are every once in a while, one gets broken against the marble eggs in the nest boxes...probably less than one a month.
Posted By: jacannon

Re: Chickens eating eggs. - 04/07/18 01:31 PM

They love crickets.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Chickens eating eggs. - 04/07/18 04:25 PM

You aren't going to break one from eating eggs. Eggs are one of the most nutrient dense foods on earth. Once they get a taste for them, stretch their necks and cook them.

Re: Chickens eating eggs. - 04/08/18 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by FurFlyin
You aren't going to break one from eating eggs. Eggs are one of the most nutrient dense foods on earth. Once they get a taste for them, stretch their necks and cook them.

I'm all about that, but got the kids that think they are pets. Biggest problem is, the culprit is also the favorite. I'm gonna keep supplementing best I can. The wife checks the boxes every few hours. If we can get a few eggs from her, and she doesn't start eating the other eggs, I guess we'll deal with it for now.
Posted By: Stob

Re: Chickens eating eggs. - 04/09/18 12:00 AM

I've had layers in the past. May have them again.
Let me say that eggs at the market are relatively cheap.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM