Aldeer.com

Blue bird boxes

Posted By: countryjwh

Blue bird boxes - 03/16/18 02:02 AM

[Linked Image]

Numbers five and six this afternoon. I know I’m a little late but maybe some will take up residence. Some needed replacing and I just fenced in 6 acres last year so had some wood post that needed a bird house on them. Guess we will see if they are liked. Sometimes you think they are perfect but they don’t touch hem.
Posted By: trailertrash

Re: Blue bird boxes - 03/16/18 12:49 PM

I have eggs in a few of mine but they seem to not get started all at once so you might be ok with getting them out late. Good luck and good work!
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Blue bird boxes - 03/16/18 01:04 PM

I know they like the house facing south and they don't like to be crowded. On my doors I drill a 3/16" hole from the side thru into the door and put a couple of small nails to hold it closed, makes it easier to open. I also leave a 3/4" gap at the top of the sides for ventilation and put a wider top on it to keep it dry.

Re: Blue bird boxes - 03/16/18 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
I know they like the house facing south and they don't like to be crowded. On my doors I drill a 3/16" hole from the side thru into the door and put a couple of small nails to hold it closed, makes it easier to open. I also leave a 3/4" gap at the top of the sides for ventilation and put a wider top on it to keep it dry.

on the ventilation, I drill 1/4 inch holes along the top.. just how i've always done it.
the doors are held with a screw on the bottom to open. the sides are drilled and only tight to the door to allow it to swivel. the bottom that holds the door shut can be unscrewed with your fingers. I drilled it out with a drill bit and made it to where it barely holds.

facing south... I did not realize that. I will change them around to the south..
Posted By: biglmbass

Re: Blue bird boxes - 03/16/18 06:22 PM

Had someone at work selling these a few weeks ago for $8 each. I thought was a great deal, but passed on them thinking I'd rather make 'em myself if I ever get around to it. Regardless, I thought the aluminum roof was a nice touch.

[Linked Image]

Re: Blue bird boxes - 03/16/18 06:30 PM

Hmmm. Good idea. I think I have a few pieces of tin hanging around.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Blue bird boxes - 03/16/18 06:49 PM

I like a deeper box also, sometimes a dang owl will reach in to grab the birds. Hate to be negative, but just what I have used. I'm going to try and find some cypress to build a few. I have some cedar, but havn't ever used it for bird boxes.
Posted By: jacannon

Re: Blue bird boxes - 03/16/18 08:57 PM

I built 10 out of cedar about 8 years ago. They are looking a little rough.I can get cypress in Evergreen .
Posted By: Maggie123

Re: Blue bird boxes - 03/16/18 10:48 PM

Old vehicle tags make great tops!! We have refurbished several through the years with a tag top!!
Posted By: antlerhunter

Re: Blue bird boxes - 03/25/18 10:04 PM

I have a ton of bluebirds at my place. Only problem is that they love to look at themselves in my vehicle mirrors. Looks like I have spit marshmallow cream all over my doors and I wash it off about every 2-3 days.
Posted By: AlabamaHuntress

Re: Blue bird boxes - 03/26/18 02:47 PM

smile
© 2024 ALDEER.COM