Aldeer.com

Can't get a pepper to germinate

Posted By: turkey_killer

Can't get a pepper to germinate - 03/13/18 12:57 PM

I'm starting some seeds indoors. Most everything has started coming up. For some reason I can't get a pepper to germinate. I've tried 4 different varieties and they're all new packets. Maybe the soil temp is not as high as it needs to be. They are all in our sunroom. Have any of you had problems germinating peppers?
Posted By: noeyeddeer

Re: Can't get a pepper to germinate - 03/13/18 06:36 PM

Have you tried getting a wet paper towel and wring it out until its just damp, then lay seeds on one half and fold the paper towel over on it. You can put that in a ziploc (and seal it) and in your sunroom and that may help. I've had good luck using that method with peppers and other seeds as well. Just make sure to open the ziploc every day or 2 to give it fresh air.

Re: Can't get a pepper to germinate - 03/13/18 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by noeyeddeer
Have you tried getting a wet paper towel and wring it out until its just damp, then lay seeds on one half and fold the paper towel over on it. You can put that in a ziploc (and seal it) and in your sunroom and that may help. I've had good luck using that method with peppers and other seeds as well. Just make sure to open the ziploc every day or 2 to give it fresh air.

I saw that method online also. I think I'll give it a shot. Thanks
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: Can't get a pepper to germinate - 03/13/18 11:34 PM

It's directly related to the low soil temps. You need a seedling heat mat and a thermostat to control it for best results.

Or just wait until it's 90 out to start them

Re: Can't get a pepper to germinate - 03/14/18 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by dirkdaddy
It's directly related to the low soil temps. You need a seedling heat mat and a thermostat to control it for best results.

Or just wait until it's 90 out to start them

Good deal. Thanks
Posted By: Luke Stepp

Re: Can't get a pepper to germinate - 03/14/18 04:45 AM

Peppers just take longer. I start mine two weeks ahead of my tomatoes. Give it time, and add a heating pad under the starting tray. They're also slow to grow. Next year start them on New Year's Day and you'll be in good shape.
Posted By: Maggie123

Re: Can't get a pepper to germinate - 03/14/18 03:42 PM

My pepper seed were the last to come up too. All started inside. Just not warm enough. Good luck with it!
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Can't get a pepper to germinate - 03/14/18 03:54 PM

On hard seeds like Okra my uncle use to put the seed in a jar with some very warm water and it would sprout overnight, then he would gently dry them and plant. You could see the little plant forming.
Posted By: Lonster

Re: Can't get a pepper to germinate - 03/21/18 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
On hard seeds like Okra my uncle use to put the seed in a jar with some very warm water and it would sprout overnight, then he would gently dry them and plant. You could see the little plant forming.

Someone told me that you can put them In Clorox for a couple of hours and get good results.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Can't get a pepper to germinate - 03/21/18 09:24 PM

heating pad under the tray
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: Can't get a pepper to germinate - 03/22/18 04:09 PM

I forgot to mention that in a pinch you can put your flat or tray with the sown peppers on top of your fridge to get some warmth. Just make sure they are planted in small containers so the little bit of heat given off by the fridge makes it to the seeds.

I would not soak anything in Clorox. But pre soaking seeds in tap water for 12 hours or so like okra can help germination, but isn't necessary.
Posted By: Bucky205

Re: Can't get a pepper to germinate - 03/29/18 04:16 PM

Peppers need a soil temp between 70 and 95 degrees to germinate. They don't need direct sunlight. Check the floor next to your refrigerator for a warm spot, it is usually next to where the compressor is inside the cabinet, Mine keeps the floor in that area at about 82 degrees which is great for getting seeds started.
Posted By: AlabamaHuntress

Re: Can't get a pepper to germinate - 03/29/18 09:48 PM

I always soak my pepper seeds overnight before planting. Usually when I have a planting question I ask zzzfog for advice.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM