Aldeer.com

Canning/Pickling recipe's

Posted By: BamaGrad85

Canning/Pickling recipe's - 08/06/17 09:13 AM

Which is better for pickling, white or apple cider vinegar? I have a bunch of banana peppers and jalpeno to do something with this year.
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Canning/Pickling recipe's - 08/06/17 09:40 AM

I'll be honest I just buy wickles and stick my fresh japs in there after I eat the pickles
Posted By: Maggie123

Re: Canning/Pickling recipe's - 08/06/17 02:51 PM

WHITE - half vinegar and half water. Don't make the mistake of using all vinegar.
Posted By: MS_Hunter

Re: Canning/Pickling recipe's - 08/09/17 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: BamaGrad85
Which is better for pickling, white or apple cider vinegar? I have a bunch of banana peppers and jalpeno to do something with this year.

1 cup vinegar
1 cup water
2-3 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons kosher salt
3 tablespoons sugar
Put all in a pot and bring to a boil. Turn off heat and throw in peppers. Let sit till cool enough to put in a jar. Leave jar on counter until it gets to room temp. Then put lid on and put in fridge.
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: Canning/Pickling recipe's - 08/09/17 01:59 PM

WHITE
Posted By: DEADorALIVE

Re: Canning/Pickling recipe's - 08/10/17 10:49 PM

White.
I made 3 half gallons and 2 quarts of pickles last night. smile

My recipe is similar to the one above, except I don't put sugar in the brine, I add a few black peppercorns and some pickle crisp, and process them, so they only go into the fridge once they're opened.

Re: Canning/Pickling recipe's - 08/11/17 05:25 PM

I have some late cucumbers coming on gang busters and hope to make some pickles with them. Dang hon, you made some pickles last night!!
Posted By: BamaGrad85

Re: Canning/Pickling recipe's - 08/11/17 06:00 PM

I did banana peppers in both white & apple cider vinegar. They both turned out excellent. I got my spices from Ace Hardware here in Carrollton. I've got 2 jars of Jalepenos done the same way. I used a recipe similar to the one above except no sugar. Thanks for the heads up Maggie. I cut them with water too.
Posted By: Luke Stepp

Re: Canning/Pickling recipe's - 08/12/17 11:24 PM

I make jalapeno pickles with the old-timey pickling recipe (vinegar, sugar, water, turmeric, pickling spices, etc.) They're good, but dangit they're spicy.

I'll power through one mason jar every fall until I give in. Too hot. Take the pickled jalapeno's and mix with sto-bought dill pickles... buy 'em on sale for $0.99/jar, drain off their juice, add some of the pickled jalapeno's juice, spices and garlic, top jar with sugar and let sit for a month or two.

Best, easiest and cheapest pickles you'll ever have. I plant around 10 jalapeno plants and one good harvest of mid-summer jalapeno pickles (mixed with the sto-bought) will last 2-3 years.

I hand then out as gifts to friends year round. My kids always ask for them on turkey and ham sandwiches.
Posted By: Geezer

Re: Canning/Pickling recipe's - 08/13/17 07:46 AM

I am doing pickle okra.

Re: Canning/Pickling recipe's - 08/13/17 10:56 AM

I pickled two quarts of okra a few days ago and a pint of jalapenos. My late cucumbers are about to go wild, so pickled of some sort in the works for those too.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM