Aldeer.com

Went Thru Bee Hives Today

Posted By: Wade

Went Thru Bee Hives Today - 07/28/17 09:03 PM

Most of them looked pretty good. I was actually expecting more beetles than I saw. The two most recent swarms are going to need feeding soon to get some honey stored for winter. The one from a couple of weeks ago had four frames of brood and pollen filled out. I had a pleasant surprise and had to add a third box to a swarm from a couple of months ago. Both boxes were full of brood and honey. I only have 7 hives at the farm and 5 of them looked strong. The other 2 are just newer. I started both packages in medium supers because that was all I had at the time. I stuck deep boxes on the bottom of 2 mediums a month or so ago to try and make them build out the deeps. They completely ignored the boxes on the bottom so I moved them up in the stack to see if they will use them before winter. I should have added them at the top back when. Oh well, live and learn.

I definitely overheated today. Be careful, even in a vented bee jacket.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Went Thru Bee Hives Today - 07/28/17 09:51 PM

I'm gonna try to go through as many of mine as I can tomorrow. It's supposed to be "cool."

I also bought me a stand alone veil. Never had one. I put it on a wide brim hat with mesh ventilation. I may wear it tomorrow and hope I don't get in a pissed off hive. A short sleeve shirt isn't going to do much but at least I won't get stung in the face.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM