Aldeer.com

Hay prices?

Posted By: .308

Hay prices? - 07/26/17 06:06 AM

Who on here cuts hay & what are you getting for a roll this year? I'm gonna need about 40 rolls for winter. I thought about buying my own equipment but buy the time I buy equipment, beg for or lease land to cut, spray & fertilize I don't see how I could come out ahead of just buying.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Hay prices? - 07/26/17 06:36 AM

$30 per roll. 48" wide x 64" tall roll. I wouldn't sell it that cheap but we've got one guy that buys it all. He'll wind up with 500-600 rolls this year.

If you pay $100 roll, you could never justify buying the equipment to roll your own hay for 40-100 rolls per year, especially after you add the costs of lime, fertilizer, and spraying.

I'd suggest finding a local and building a relationship with them. Buy from the same guy every year. Find somebody that bales actual hay, not weeds and sage grass.

Re: Hay prices? - 07/29/17 01:21 PM

I have different contacts & made a new one this week. Paid $25 for a 4x5 mixed fertilized heavy. Bermuda, orchard with some young Johnson grass. I bought 16 rolls just to see how my cows would eat it. I can get hay, just curious what others were charging.

Re: Hay prices? - 07/29/17 01:24 PM

& you are right Fur, I could never justify buying equipment. I would have to lease a field to cut, just thinking out loud.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Hay prices? - 07/29/17 03:27 PM

If you buy from more than one person, I'd suggest weighing some of the rolls. The guy that buys ours, was buying 5x5 rolls from someone else for $25 per roll. He told us we were too high since ours are 4x5.5 I suggested he weigh some of what he was buying and some of ours and he took me up on the offer. Our bales outweighed the 5x5 rolls by 300 lbs.

A properly set John Deere baler with net wrap can pack a whole lot of hay into a roll.
Posted By: coachg34

Re: Hay prices? - 08/03/17 07:43 PM

Hay is very abundant this year, you should be able to get good hay rolls for $30 or less. We have a barn full, have it lined up out side and still have hay to cut !
© 2024 ALDEER.COM