Aldeer.com

Pickled Okra

Posted By: FurFlyin

Pickled Okra - 07/22/17 08:08 PM

Thursday I made my first ever batch of lacto fermented pickled okra. My sauerkraut turned out so good, I had to try something different. Okra is a fast ferment as opposed to sauerkraut which takes a month or more. I tasted the okra just a little while ago and it's already getting really good. Another couple of days and it will be ready for the fridge to stop the ferment.

The recipe I used:

1 1/2 T of natural salt to 32 ounces of water
2 Cloves of fresh garlic, one of them mashed with a knife blade
1 T or so of mustard seed (not measured, just poured some in each jar)
1 1/2 T or so of whole black peppercorns
A couple of small sprigs of fresh dill
1 T of sauerkraut juice from my recent batch to act as a starter

[img:center][/img]
Posted By: DEADorALIVE

Re: Pickled Okra - 07/22/17 10:44 PM

I'll have to try it...LOVE me some pickled okra!
Posted By: Maggie123

Re: Pickled Okra - 07/23/17 09:52 AM

I usually pickle okra every year the old fashion way...never use a recipe per say but add dill, garlic, mustard seed, celery seed, salt and black peppercorns with vinegar/water mixture for the brine. When I want hot, I add hot pepper to the mix which is usually.

Been a bit under the weather, so I have not done any yet this year. Yours looks great!
Posted By: 300gr

Re: Pickled Okra - 07/23/17 09:57 AM

Just need a pickled squash recipe to go with the others

Re: Pickled Okra - 07/23/17 10:07 AM

All you had to do was ask..

Re: Pickled Okra - 07/23/17 10:07 AM

Originally Posted By: 300gr

Pickled Squash

Ingredients:

1/4 cup salt
2 1/2 pounds young yellow squash and zucchini, sliced into rounds
1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
2 small onions, thinly sliced
2 1/4 cups white sugar
2 cups distilled white vinegar
2 teaspoons mustard seed
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon celery seed

Prep Time:
4 hours

Directions:

In a large non-aluminum pot, combine the squash, bell pepper, and onions. Cover with salt, and let stand for 2 hours to release the liquids. Stir occasionally.

Just before the 2 hours are up, combine the sugar, vinegar, mustard seed, turmeric and celery seed in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Drain the salty liquid from the vegetables. Pour the spice brine over the vegetables, and let stand for 2 more hours.

Ladle into 1 pint sterile jars, filling with the liquid to within 1/4 inch of the top. Wipe rims with a clean towel, and run a thin spatula around the inside of the jar to remove air bubbles. Seal with lids and rings. Process for 10 minutes in a simmering water bath to seal completely.
Posted By: Wade

Re: Pickled Okra - 07/23/17 01:23 PM

Okra looks good. I want to eat lunch the next time I come up there. I will bring the vienna's if you bring the sauerkraut and pickled okra.
Posted By: 300gr

Re: Pickled Okra - 07/23/17 02:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Maggie123
Originally Posted By: 300gr

Pickled Squash

Ingredients:

1/4 cup salt
2 1/2 pounds young yellow squash and zucchini, sliced into rounds
1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
2 small onions, thinly sliced
2 1/4 cups white sugar
2 cups distilled white vinegar
2 teaspoons mustard seed
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon celery seed

Prep Time:
4 hours

Directions:

In a large non-aluminum pot, combine the squash, bell pepper, and onions. Cover with salt, and let stand for 2 hours to release the liquids. Stir occasionally.

Just before the 2 hours are up, combine the sugar, vinegar, mustard seed, turmeric and celery seed in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Drain the salty liquid from the vegetables. Pour the spice brine over the vegetables, and let stand for 2 more hours.

Ladle into 1 pint sterile jars, filling with the liquid to within 1/4 inch of the top. Wipe rims with a clean towel, and run a thin spatula around the inside of the jar to remove air bubbles. Seal with lids and rings. Process for 10 minutes in a simmering water bath to seal completely.

Thank you ma'am
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Pickled Okra - 07/23/17 04:33 PM

Looks good. Prolly eat good to.

Re: Pickled Okra - 07/24/17 08:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Wade
Okra looks good. I want to eat lunch the next time I come up there. I will bring the vienna's if you bring the sauerkraut and pickled okra.

Sounds like a deal to me.

Re: Pickled Okra - 07/24/17 08:16 AM

Maggie hate to hear you've been sick. I was wondering where you were.

Thanks for all the replies.

This lacto fermenting is weird. Like I said the okra is a fast ferment so you're supposed to taste it daily starting at 3 days and refrigerate when it's like you want it. I tasted it Saturday and it was good and I felt it needed one more day. Yesterday I tasted it and it wasn't nearly as tangy as it was Saturday. So I don't know if I've waited too long, or not long enough.

I know that 2 cloves of garlic is too much.

Re: Pickled Okra - 07/25/17 09:52 AM

Thanks hon. Getting better every day. Hope your okra works out for you after your efforts!! Keep us posted.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM