Aldeer.com

Rooting Grapes

Posted By: Teacher One

Rooting Grapes - 07/19/17 07:14 AM

I have a grape vine my dad bought years ago. I would like to have a few more of this variety. I have never rooted one and know some of you know how to do this. I was thinking about cutting some of the runners and placing them in water, etc like you can root some flowers.

Let me know the best way to root a grape vine.

Thanks
B
Posted By: trlrdrdave

Re: Rooting Grapes - 07/19/17 07:18 AM

Rootone works. Dip it then plant it. Get it at Home Depot.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Rooting Grapes - 07/19/17 07:34 AM

You can try a few air rootings. On one of the runners, preferably at a joint, take a knife and scrape lightly the a short section of the vine. Put some rootone on it, put a wad of wet spaghnum moss on it and wrap the area with a piece of aluminum foil. Give it 5 or so weeks and check it for roots. If you have some then cut the section out in early spring and transplant it.
Posted By: Papagator

Re: Rooting Grapes - 07/19/17 11:16 AM

rootone does work well. always have great success with it
Posted By: BamaPlowboy

Re: Rooting Grapes - 07/19/17 12:23 PM

They root best from dormant cuttings
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Rooting Grapes - 07/19/17 12:40 PM

Originally Posted By: timbercruiser
You can try a few air rootings. On one of the runners, preferably at a joint, take a knife and scrape lightly the a short section of the vine. Put some rootone on it, put a wad of wet spaghnum moss on it and wrap the area with a piece of aluminum foil. Give it 5 or so weeks and check it for roots. If you have some then cut the section out in early spring and transplant it.

That's pretty dang cool.
Posted By: Maggie123

Re: Rooting Grapes - 07/19/17 05:37 PM

Originally Posted By: timbercruiser

This should work well. Mine, before I took them all out, would drop roots at different locations on the vine and I actually had them root from that. Good luck!
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Rooting Grapes - 07/19/17 07:02 PM

If any of the vine reaches the ground, just cover a section of it with dirt. It will root fairly quickly then you can dig it up and move it.
Posted By: 300Ruger

Re: Rooting Grapes - 07/20/17 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: FurFlyin
If any of the vine reaches the ground, just cover a section of it with dirt. It will root fairly quickly then you can dig it up and move it.

This is how we do it. We always purposely leave a few runners close to the ground on some of the mature vines for that exact purpose.
Posted By: Teacher One

Re: Rooting Grapes - 07/20/17 04:47 PM

I will give it a try.

Thanks for all the info.
B
Posted By: Geno

Re: Rooting Grapes - 07/22/17 10:17 AM

Originally Posted By: FurFlyin

This.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM