Aldeer.com

Tell me the best way to...

Posted By: treemydog

Tell me the best way to... - 04/18/17 03:19 PM

Keep deer out of a small garden spot. Is it going to take electric fence or what?

I got a late start. Have the ground prepped... waiting on some rain this weekend. I have a couple of patches ready to go, figure to bait a field a hundred or so yards from the main garden spot with a pea patch. I was hoping that the critters would nail that spot and leave the tomatoes, corn, and watermelons alone. And I don't mind 'sharing' some. If half of it makes, there will be plenty. I just don't want them to mow it down to the ground.

Advice needed, and I know y'all have plenty to dish out. Any more new techniques out there that work?
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Tell me the best way to... - 04/18/17 03:23 PM

not for everybody but I have six foot chain link fence around my garden.
Posted By: Maggie123

Re: Tell me the best way to... - 04/18/17 04:48 PM

My gardens are all behind fencing too. My raised beds are in my backyard and my other in ground plot near my chicken coop is behind plastic orange fencing on T posts.

We have deer, rabbit coons and such to worry about too but my worst enemy is the chickens!

Now, the garden I am sharing with my neighbor that is very large has a two strand wire fence around it...if you just glance at it you would think electric fence but it is not hot. There are a few pieces of plastic flagging around in a few spots along the wire and it seems to work well at keeping most critters out.

Like you, we don't mind sharing a bit. Good luck!
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Tell me the best way to... - 04/18/17 07:28 PM

Plant enough for you and them, get a dog, hot wire fence or a tall fence. Sit out there at night and shoot the suckers. Don't tell nobody though. It's a fight you may not win. I fight them all the time here. Sometimes I win and sometimes I lose. I have found that the deer don't mess with the garden as much when I plant in the spring but if I plant in July or later they will smash it. I can plant late corn and they wont bother it.
Posted By: Maggie123

Re: Tell me the best way to... - 04/18/17 07:56 PM

Originally Posted By: jaredhunts
Plant enough for you and them, get a dog, hot wire fence or a tall fence. Sit out there at night and shoot the suckers. Don't tell nobody though. It's a fight you may not win. I fight them all the time here. Sometimes I win and sometimes I lose. I have found that the deer don't mess with the garden as much when I plant in the spring but if I plant in July or later they will smash it. I can plant late corn and they wont bother it.

Never heard that before, good tip.
Posted By: Joe4majors

Re: Tell me the best way to... - 04/18/17 11:21 PM

Milorganite
Posted By: Geezer

Re: Tell me the best way to... - 04/19/17 05:59 AM

Electric fence with peanut butter on wire I guarantee that works.
Posted By: Blackwater_Reb

Re: Tell me the best way to... - 04/19/17 09:18 AM

I finally had it and last year hung some construction fence on t-posts around the garden. Also got stuff for an electric fence if that did not work. Never had to put it up. Only problem I had, rabbits chewed a few holes in a couple spots and got in. But otherwise, no problems. Cept maybe the fluorescent orange eye sore down by the creek, hahaha.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Tell me the best way to... - 04/20/17 07:49 AM

Rabbits are my problem. I hate them bastards.
Posted By: curt99rsv

Re: Tell me the best way to... - 04/20/17 10:12 AM

^^^milorganite. After years of electric fences (deer would stay away until things got ripe, then just crash through it, saw it with my own eyes), I finally used milorganite after seeing it recommended here. Zero tracks in my garden last year until two weeks or so after I quit putting it out, then they came back. Just refresh it every two weeks or after every heavy rain, whichever comes first. One bag was about $15 and lasted all year.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Tell me the best way to... - 04/20/17 11:02 AM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/DTala/garden/IMG_0402_zpsdbfivynx.jpg

chain link fence
Posted By: PaintRock0

Re: Tell me the best way to... - 04/20/17 11:48 AM

get a person to who cuts hair to save you the cutting when they sweep them from the floor. spread them out around and in the area. the human sent will keep-em out refresh at least once a week
Posted By: MS_Hunter

Re: Tell me the best way to... - 04/20/17 12:58 PM

gun
Posted By: G/H

Re: Tell me the best way to... - 04/20/17 02:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Joe4majors
Milorganite

^^this and I also have an electric fence.
Posted By: treemydog

Re: Tell me the best way to... - 04/21/17 08:23 AM

Why haven't I heard of Milorganite?

Looks like some pretty good reviews on the web about it's capabilities as a slow release fertilizer and deer deterrent.

For those who use it... do you just use it like a fertilizer on the garden spot (broadcast or row application), or do you set up a perimeter around the spot, or is it both broadcast and perimeter?

Ever how you apply it, feel free to share the rates that you use to get effective results. I don't want to put half enough out and get skinned in one night. If anything, I'd rather have too much than not enough... especially since it looks like you aren't going to over do it with the nitrogen and burn the plants ... per the analysis.
Posted By: curt99rsv

Re: Tell me the best way to... - 04/22/17 09:16 AM

We just make a perimeter about 10 feet away from the garden. I put some in a five gallon bucket and use a small cup to pour it out slowly as I quickly walk around the perimeter. Hard to give a rate but I probably use no more than 3-5 lbs every time around a 150x50 garden spot. The stuff doesn't smell real good but I'm sure that's what keeps the deer away too.
Posted By: 300gr

Re: Tell me the best way to... - 04/22/17 11:43 AM

Dog wire 6' fence or you will be fighting deer all the time. It also keeps rabbits out
Posted By: 300gr

Re: Tell me the best way to... - 04/22/17 11:50 AM

Posted By: Joe4majors

Re: Tell me the best way to... - 04/22/17 04:22 PM

Originally Posted By: treemydog
Why haven't I heard of Milorganite?

Looks like some pretty good reviews on the web about it's capabilities as a slow release fertilizer and deer deterrent.

For those who use it... do you just use it like a fertilizer on the garden spot (broadcast or row application), or do you set up a perimeter around the spot, or is it both broadcast and perimeter?

Ever how you apply it, feel free to share the rates that you use to get effective results. I don't want to put half enough out and get skinned in one night. If anything, I'd rather have too much than not enough... especially since it looks like you aren't going to over do it with the nitrogen and burn the plants ... per the analysis.

My garden is about 1100 square feet and one 32-pound bag of Milorganite lasts the whole growing season. I've spread around the garden and broadcast within. Main thing is to put a little out every 2-3 weeks as the smell fades with time. I don't factor the Milorganite into my fertilization calculations.

I'll have trophy rock and corn on one side of the yard and the garden on the other side with no deer messing with my plants.
Posted By: birdcarver

Re: Tell me the best way to... - 05/07/17 07:58 AM

slap rofl I shoot firecrackers every couple days around and in garden and after every rain, never have deer problem , ps do this late in evening.
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: Tell me the best way to... - 05/07/17 11:21 AM

They make a dual perimeter electric fence about 4-5 ft apart at knee high. Deer wont jump it cause of the 2 strands. It how guys keep them out of food plots till season starts. Outdoor life had a DIY article where he built on for like 75 bucks.
Posted By: msu33

Re: Tell me the best way to... - 05/08/17 12:54 PM

I put up a 6ft welded wire fence just like 300gr. Have not had a deer track in it yet. Not real expensive, but effective. Can keep rabbits out if you put the bottom edge on the ground. I put mine about 4-6 inches above the ground to get just a little extra height. I may lower mine, as rabbits do get in there.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM