Aldeer.com

Gin waste ( Moates)

Posted By: G/H

Gin waste ( Moates) - 03/20/17 07:06 PM

Guy I work with made his raised bed with this. I have a regular garden and picked up a truck load of this stuff. Anybody use this before? Pro/cons?
Posted By: Maggie123

Re: Gin waste ( Moates) - 03/20/17 07:19 PM

I have a friend who bought a house and established a sizable garden spot. Once he established an area, he added a dump truck load of gin trash, worked it in well and he has had an awesome garden ever since. That was several years ago and I think he has added more gin trash a couple of times since then.
Posted By: DEADorALIVE

Re: Gin waste ( Moates) - 03/20/17 07:26 PM

Cotton seed meal is a FINE fertilizer...about the only downside to using mill trash might be an occasional uncrushed seed that comes up as an undesirable weed in the garden.
Posted By: G/H

Re: Gin waste ( Moates) - 03/20/17 08:50 PM

Should I till itvin the whole garden or just in my rows where my plants will be?

Re: Gin waste ( Moates) - 03/20/17 09:04 PM

I would think just put it out over the area, and till it all in...as it composts, it'll improve the soil for the years to come, too, even if your rows end up slightly offset from where they are this year.
Posted By: Maggie123

Re: Gin waste ( Moates) - 03/20/17 09:05 PM

My friend tilled it in his entire garden.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Gin waste ( Moates) - 03/20/17 09:36 PM

I'm guessing ya'll are talking about cotton seed waste? I know cotton seed meal use to be used as a fertilizer/soil additive.

Re: Gin waste ( Moates) - 03/20/17 09:41 PM

This would be more like all the stuff leftover after the cotton is ginned and the seed (or most of it) removed. A little cotton fiber and a little seed meal, bolls, stems, leaves, weeds, etc...it gets pretty chopped up in the ginning process, and would make an excellent addition of organic matter to soil.
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Gin waste ( Moates) - 03/21/17 12:01 PM

My cotton farmer friends uses it exclusively in his raised beds. Grows giant veggies out of it.
Posted By: JayHook

Re: Gin waste ( Moates) - 04/05/17 11:31 AM

til you get you some SPiny amarynth....aka pigweed seed...don't even ask how i know...
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Gin waste ( Moates) - 04/05/17 08:03 PM

Originally Posted By: JayHook
til you get you some SPiny amarynth....aka pigweed seed...don't even ask how i know...

We've got 1000's of acres of pastureland infested with that around here. It's the devil.

In good soil, under good conditions, one plant can produce 250,000 seeds.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM