Aldeer.com

Ph level in a garden

Posted By: Moodyc24

Ph level in a garden - 03/08/17 12:35 PM

How important is it? I've never checked the pH level in my garden and have always had pretty decent Gardens. I was just wondering if it makes a big difference or not
Posted By: JayHook

Re: Ph level in a garden - 03/08/17 08:18 PM

It is important. If you have decent production you must be pretty goo (6ish) or better but you will be amazed if you can get it up in the high 6's. Your fertilizer just gets utilized so much better towards 7.0.
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Ph level in a garden - 03/08/17 09:17 PM

I spread a little bit of lime on my garden every year.
Posted By: Joe4majors

Re: Ph level in a garden - 03/08/17 10:15 PM

My garden did terrible until I started doing soil tests and adding lime and fertilizer. I've raised the pH from 5.5 to 6.4 if memory serves me correctly. Only problem now is my production is too high and I can't pick it all.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Ph level in a garden - 03/09/17 12:41 PM

For small areas like a garden I use Basic Slag. It goes to work very fast and has lots of micronutrients in it.
Posted By: DEADorALIVE

Re: Ph level in a garden - 03/09/17 04:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Joe4majors
My garden did terrible until I started doing soil tests and adding lime and fertilizer. I've raised the pH from 5.5 to 6.4 if memory serves me correctly. Only problem now is my production is too high and I can't pick it all.

Dang...I have to constantly arm-wrestle nature to keep my pH down in the 5.5-6.0 range, in the orchard!

Re: Ph level in a garden - 03/10/17 07:23 PM

Originally Posted By: FurFlyin
For small areas like a garden I use Basic Slag. It goes to work very fast and has lots of micronutrients in it.

Where do you get it, how much does it cost, and how do you apply it?
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Ph level in a garden - 03/10/17 08:31 PM

Originally Posted By: DEADorALIVE
Originally Posted By: FurFlyin

Where do you get it, how much does it cost, and how do you apply it?

Co-op. Last I bought was about $4.50 per bag. I spread it in a 4 wheeler size pull behind spreader. It don't know what the conversion rate comparing it to lime is, I just put out 10-15 bags and call it good.

Re: Ph level in a garden - 03/10/17 08:59 PM

Roger that. I'll look for it when I'm back in town.
Posted By: countryjwh

Re: Ph level in a garden - 03/11/17 10:08 PM

Basic slag is some good stuff.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM