Aldeer.com

Garlic & Onions

Posted By: BamaGrad85

Garlic & Onions - 03/04/17 10:38 AM

Has anyone planted garlic in their gardens? Any pointers? Same with yellow onions. Thanks for any suggestions.
Posted By: Skinny

Re: Garlic & Onions - 03/04/17 12:04 PM

I got a stand of elephant garlic that has been growing for about 10 years now. Its a bulb, if I need some I go pull a bulb and leave the rest alone.
Posted By: Maggie123

Re: Garlic & Onions - 03/04/17 02:06 PM

Have had garlic and onions for years. Not a lot to growing either but neither of them likes "wet feet" while growing. Easier to grow in loose soil than is not real compacted. I generally plant onions spring and fall; they grow fine all year for me. With my garlic, I harvest as needed and basically treat it just like onions.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Garlic & Onions - 03/04/17 02:39 PM

I make a bed in the garden for onions. I pull dirt from both sides of the row to make a mound down the length of the row. I plant them basically on top of the ground. Just deep enough for the roots and about the bottom 1/3 of the bulb covered. Growing big onions takes LOTS of fertilizer. 5-10-15 or 5-20-20

Re: Garlic & Onions - 03/04/17 02:47 PM

Originally Posted By: FurFlyin
I make a bed in the garden for onions. I pull dirt from both sides of the row to make a mound down the length of the row. I plant them basically on top of the ground. Just deep enough for the roots and about the bottom 1/3 of the bulb covered. Growing big onions takes LOTS of fertilizer. 5-10-15 or 5-20-20

Agreed on the fertilizer. I plant lots of onions and generally pull every other one before I really lay the fertilizer to them.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Garlic & Onions - 03/04/17 02:49 PM

Dixondale Onions recommends 21-0-0 for onions, every 3-4 weeks after planting.
Posted By: Skinny

Re: Garlic & Onions - 03/04/17 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Maggie123
Have had garlic and onions for years. Not a lot to growing either but neither of them likes "wet feet" while growing. Easier to grow in loose soil than is not real compacted. I generally plant onions spring and fall; they grow fine all year for me. With my garlic, I harvest as needed and basically treat it just like onions.

Yup, my elephant garlic grows on a small sandy bump that drains well. I dump a bucket of rabbit litter on it once a year and that is really all it needs.

Re: Garlic & Onions - 03/18/17 04:28 PM

Been out in the yard working most of the day and the onions are coming up great as well as the garlic I transplanted. How are your onions doing??

Re: Garlic & Onions - 03/18/17 06:09 PM

Originally Posted By: BhamFred
Dixondale Onions recommends 21-0-0 for onions, every 3-4 weeks after planting.

I thought everything that grew a bulb needed lots of P and K but I guess onions are different.

Re: Garlic & Onions - 03/18/17 07:11 PM

I just went back and checked...21-0-0 is what they reccomend.

Mine are doing good in the raised bed.

Re: Garlic & Onions - 03/18/17 09:38 PM

thumbup Guess I've got to change my skrategy.

Re: Garlic & Onions - 05/16/17 04:05 PM

Harvested a few more onions this morning...those Dixondale Farms onions have grown beautifully for me. How are yall doing with your onions?

Re: Garlic & Onions - 05/16/17 05:52 PM

I've been harvesting a few Dixondale onions every day, Texas Supersweets and granex.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM