Aldeer.com

Blue tick hound - looking

Posted By: Darver540

Blue tick hound - looking - 02/22/23 12:43 PM

Looking for a family dog and not so much a hunting dog. But we all like the neighbor’s blue tick. Any thoughts? We’re a family of 4 including two small kids who are 7 & 9 years old (probably a nuisance to most dogs).

We tried a chocolate lab mutt (mixed with something but not sure what). That dog growled and nipped at the kids so we had to give him away after two years (and obedience training). It also had more energy than we could handle…

Where do you even get a blue tick? Doesn’t have to be pure bred. Thanks.
Posted By: twaldrop4

Re: Blue tick hound - looking - 02/23/23 03:11 AM

Hounds can be loud and they can stink bad if you don’t keep their ears clean. Also their nose overrules their ears a lot of times so they aren’t the best listeners But they are cool dogs.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Blue tick hound - looking - 02/24/23 04:28 AM

Look at a cur they are great dog for kids and can be used for several different hunting purposes. I would not suggest a blue tick as a pet. Mountain cur or black mouth if I wanted the hound look. You really can’t go wrong with either.
Posted By: Cuz-Pat

Re: Blue tick hound - looking - 02/24/23 04:55 AM

I'm gonna suggest, as TN has, that you look into an OMC. Original Mountain Cur. They make a fine, fine family dog.
Posted By: Ridge Life

Re: Blue tick hound - looking - 02/24/23 09:38 PM

Those walker/Lab mix over in the classifieds will be some fine dogs I’d bet..
Posted By: twaldrop4

Re: Blue tick hound - looking - 02/26/23 03:06 AM

I’ve got a black mouth cur. He’s 10 months old and wide open. Pretty smart dog and loves his people. He can get a little mouthy with my boys but they start playing rough. He will quit if they stop. He can bark about a million times a second. He wants to catch and chase anything that moves.
Posted By: James

Re: Blue tick hound - looking - 04/14/23 04:44 PM

Miss my Blue tics. With that said i wouldn't overlook Beagles, we have 2 Beagles as house dogs.
Posted By: johnmcgowan

Re: Blue tick hound - looking - 04/19/23 05:06 PM

No really a hunting dog but consider getting you a Boston Terrier. They make absolutely the best family dog Ive ever had. Ive had several Boston's in my lifetime as well as some treeing Walkers for deer hunting when I was waaay younger smile
Bostons dont do well out in the summer heat so its best to make them an inside dog if possible. They are short haired so really no shedding to speak of. Very intelligent and highly trainable too. Ive currently got 2 Boston males.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM