Aldeer.com

Dog food

Posted By: oakachoy

Dog food - 10/03/21 11:43 PM

I feed my OMC's Purina one dry with Purina one can mixed. They seem to do well with it. What yall feed game dogs?
Posted By: Ridge Life

Re: Dog food - 10/04/21 12:29 PM

I’ve fed 3 different feeds over the past 20 years. Changed 1 bc of price, another bc it started getting poor quality and got a dog sick, now I am feeding Joy. Started out at a very good price but in the last year it’s went up drastically. It hasn’t reached the pro plan price and is really good for my dogs. This may not be so for some just is for me
Posted By: BuckRidge17

Re: Dog food - 10/04/21 12:54 PM

I feed Diamond HI-Energy. Mine seem to do well with it
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Dog food - 10/04/21 04:58 PM

I’m feeding diamond also.
Posted By: Ryano

Re: Dog food - 10/05/21 12:49 AM

When I had curs, I could put them in a pen with an automatic feeder and it didn't matter how much or little they got worked, they always looked like they hadn't been fed in days. It's just in their genetics I guess. Every other hunting dog I've had, I fed the highest protein feed that was locally available but curs I went with a high in fat feed. I always added some bacon grease a time or two a month for outside dogs. I am down to one dog now. It's a Boykin mix that I got from a member here. He stays in a kennel in the house so I skip out on bacon grease. I started adding some coconut oil to his feed to try to help with shedding. It appears to help some.
Posted By: remlap

Re: Dog food - 10/05/21 01:57 AM

I feed my Feist Victor. They seem to do very well on it.
Posted By: johnv

Re: Dog food - 10/05/21 02:13 AM

I feed all my tracking dogs victor. They do really good on it
Posted By: oakachoy

Re: Dog food - 10/05/21 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ryano
When I had curs, I could put them in a pen with an automatic feeder and it didn't matter how much or little they got worked, they always looked like they hadn't been fed in days. It's just in their genetics I guess. Every other hunting dog I've had, I fed the highest protein feed that was locally available but curs I went with a high in fat feed. I always added some bacon grease a time or two a month for outside dogs. I am down to one dog now. It's a Boykin mix that I got from a member here. He stays in a kennel in the house so I skip out on bacon grease. I started adding some coconut oil to his feed to try to help with shedding. It appears to help some.

My oldest cur looks under fed, she eats all she wants and has plenty of energy for her age.
Posted By: Dano

Re: Dog food - 10/05/21 01:20 PM

I switch between PPP and Victor, but mainly stay on Victor. Shiny coats and solid stools
Posted By: jb20

Re: Dog food - 10/06/21 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by BuckRidge17
I feed Diamond HI-Energy. Mine seem to do well with it
Posted By: low wall

Re: Dog food - 10/06/21 10:46 PM

I believe the Purina 1 I've been feeding for years has darn near doubled in price in the last 3 months.
Posted By: MorningAir

Re: Dog food - 10/07/21 01:59 PM

Purina 1 was 23 dollars a bag at wal mart yesterday. My dogs always has half purina 1 half Iams. I gotta find something cheaper. Who carries this diamond brand?
Posted By: Cuz-Pat

Re: Dog food - 10/08/21 02:15 AM

Hills Science Diet Adult - Chicken & Barley for Sadie.

Re: Dog food - 10/08/21 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by MorningAir
Purina 1 was 23 dollars a bag at wal mart yesterday. My dogs always has half purina 1 half Iams. I gotta find something cheaper. Who carries this diamond brand?

I think that’s around the same price as Diamond then. Tractor supply carries it. But I buy it at the local feed store and I believe it’s 21 or 22 for 50lbs. And that place is usually just a little cheaper than TS

Re: Dog food - 10/08/21 02:38 PM

If your getting it for $21 for 50lb your getting a deal
Posted By: Mully

Re: Dog food - 10/08/21 03:01 PM

I think Purina One Lamb & Rice is like $39 for 34lbs or something like that at Publix. Thats where I buy it because it is most convenient when we are getting groceries and I also feed it since it keeps me from having to go to the co-op or specialty pet store.

Re: Dog food - 10/09/21 08:09 PM

It may be more. I haven’t really payed attention to the price
Posted By: hyco

Re: Dog food - 10/12/21 03:19 AM

Pride yellow bag. 27/20 and had to cut down the amount I was feeding foxhounds. Really good feed. $27 for 50lbs
Posted By: odocoileus

Re: Dog food - 10/12/21 12:52 PM

Pet food industry has been hit pretty hard by supply issues and increased demand. I carry Hill's and Purina. Mostly Purina now. Had to do something because Hill's was backordered on almost everything, and prices had jumped by 30-35%. Picked up Purina about 8 months ago and now it's hard to get some of their products, and the price has drastically increased. Protein = $$
Posted By: AUjerbear

Re: Dog food - 10/13/21 12:11 AM

I feed Purina Pro Focus Large Breed to my lab. I’m only feeding one but it’s about 58 for 34lbs.
Posted By: Lonster

Re: Dog food - 10/14/21 02:27 AM

Diamond has killed lots of dogs. On more than one occasion. Research it.
Posted By: 3% outdoorsman

Re: Dog food - 10/15/21 04:00 AM

I'm sure any quality dog food should be fine.had mine on blue buffalo for years then authority and now my only dog is eating nutro large breed adult lamb and rice.used diamond years ago but to many recalls and no sense in feeding a dog something only a co-op or feed store sells cause it's a hunting dog
Posted By: Dixiepatriot

Re: Dog food - 10/18/21 01:20 AM

I feed my dogs Cannidae. It’s not cheap but when I started using it my lab’s skin issues disappeared.
I used to feed my bird dogs Joy but haven’t seen any of that in years. I didn’t think they made it anymore.

Re: Dog food - 10/18/21 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Dixiepatriot
I feed my dogs Cannidae. It’s not cheap but when I started using it my lab’s skin issues disappeared.
I used to feed my bird dogs Joy but haven’t seen any of that in years. I didn’t think they made it anymore.

I drove an 1hr to buy 20 bags of joy yesterday. The grandson of the Joy owner started up the old recipe and has nutrina making it for him. Started out at $27/50lb 24-20. Over the short time it has been out again it has went up to $35 and supposedly going up. It is outselling a lot of nutrina’s feed. I’m calling Joy tomorrow to see what the deal is with our local guy not carrying it anymore. Some of this is 2nd hand info, I do know the e price change though.
It has changed the life of some hounds we have. Black bag sportsmix about killed some with the recall bags.
Posted By: johnmcgowan

Re: Dog food - 10/19/21 04:36 AM

I feed my 2 Boston's Diamond, the beef and sweet potato, its the large bag and its about $45 at Pet Supply Plus on Green Springs. Unfortunately it never goes on sale.
Posted By: rst87

Re: Dog food - 10/22/21 12:01 AM

Victor in the teal bag. Does well and keeps his coat shinny.
Posted By: Jakethesnake

Re: Dog food - 10/25/21 07:03 AM

My german shepherds only get Fromm. Its the best we have tried. Expensive but the dogs look great and don't eat a lot of it. They will eat 3xs more of the cheap stuff and look like crap. It was cheaper for me to buy the good stuff so they eat less. Not much filler in Fromm.
Posted By: laidback

Re: Dog food - 11/04/21 06:36 PM

I wouldn’t feed Diamond if they gave it to me. They have killed a bunch of dogs over the years. I fed Taste Of The Wild for years until they had several recalls including one that said don’t touch it. I now feed Extreme Fuel which is manufactured in Arkansas with ll ingredients from the US. it was developed Chris Akins and some vets. I had a hard time getting it stocked here but coordinated my local feed store and the manufacture so I could buy it locally.
Posted By: YellaLineHunter

Re: Dog food - 11/07/21 02:14 PM

I feed my labs science diet. No complaints. When I ran rabbit and deer dogs they got the gas station dog food called tops. Usually on Thursdays I’d feed em some of the high protein stuff and that was like racing fuel for em.

Re: Dog food - 11/09/21 02:40 AM

After reading about Diamond on here I’ve swapped to Victor and so far so good.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM