Aldeer.com

Plott Hound Litters

Posted By: CNC

Plott Hound Litters - 02/09/21 05:37 PM

Anybody know of any Plott Hound puppies out of a good hunting line? I'm looking at getting another dog sometimes between now and June.
Posted By: foldemup

Re: Plott Hound Litters - 02/09/21 05:58 PM

Did you ever have any luck finding a contact for a Hindes Lacy?

Re: Plott Hound Litters - 02/09/21 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by foldemup
Did you ever have any luck finding a contact for a Hindes Lacy?

No, I never really pursued it any farther.....I was hoping to find someone on here to deal with and it was kinda just taking a long shot.......I'm leaning toward either another lab or a Plott Hound......I really like my lab I got last year but something I'm learning is that if you dont try other dogs and such then you'll never really know what you might be missing out on.....Different breeds are like different tools in a toolbox......They have pros and cons when compared to one another. I think an old Plott Hound would do good in a lot of these scenarios I track in. You really need "leggy" dogs for what I'm doing
Posted By: Ryano

Re: Plott Hound Litters - 02/09/21 06:20 PM

There are not a lot of plotts around here. If you don't mind going out of state, I can get you in touch with a guy I know. He lives in N Bama and has plotts. He does not have litters, but he has hunted plotts all my life and he knows all of the old timers with the good lines. I went on a hunt in Ohio with him and we made several stops at his buddies places on the way. He coon hunts but knows a lot of the guys who use them for bears and hogs. Be ready to talk if you call him. Shoot me a PM if you want his info.

Re: Plott Hound Litters - 02/09/21 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ryano
There are not a lot of plotts around here. If you don't mind going out of state, I can get you in touch with a guy I know. He lives in N Bama and has plotts. He does not have litters, but he has hunted plotts all my life and he knows all of the old timers with the good lines. I went on a hunt in Ohio with him and we made several stops at his buddies places on the way. He coon hunts but knows a lot of the guys who use them for bears and hogs. Be ready to talk if you call him. Shoot me a PM if you want his info.

PM sent
Posted By: C3SEAST

Re: Plott Hound Litters - 02/09/21 08:13 PM

For a track dog the Hicks line is hard to beat. The ones I’ve had were very smart, gamey and gritty. You might want to look into some of the old OMCBA bloodlines. I had an OMCBA female from the Nicholson line that looked just like a plott. She had a super nose on her and the brains to know how to use it.

Re: Plott Hound Litters - 02/09/21 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by C3SEAST
For a track dog the Hicks line is hard to beat. The ones I’ve had were very smart, gamey and gritty. You might want to look into some of the old OMCBA bloodlines. I had an OMCBA female from the Nicholson line that looked just like a plott. She had a super nose on her and the brains to know how to use it.

I appreciate the info..... thumbup
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Plott Hound Litters - 02/10/21 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by C3SEAST

If he wants longer legs he’d be better suited for a black mouth. Riggs will get gone in a hurry and isn’t a lot smaller then a plot.

Re: Plott Hound Litters - 02/10/21 08:40 PM

C'mon Bayedup......Hook a brother up!..... grin
Posted By: Stickers

Re: Plott Hound Litters - 02/11/21 07:46 PM

State dog of NC- probably some good info from folks there.
Posted By: BayedUp

Re: Plott Hound Litters - 02/15/21 12:28 AM

I just text a guy to see if he is planning to breed anything this year or if he has any young pups he would sell.

I know most of his stuff is from Bayou Cajun Plotts. If you don’t mind traveling to Louisiana you can probably get one straight from Bayou Cajun Plotts. Mr. Mike Cauley has some fine hounds. If I’m not mistaken they are mostly weems blood.

Re: Plott Hound Litters - 02/15/21 12:59 AM

Thanks man I appreciate that.......I dont mind traveling for a good dog.......I drove nearly to Chicago to get Otis.......I'm not familiar with the different lines so I'll take y'alls word on whichever you tell me would make a good tracking dog.....I'm just wanting to try and get the best quality I can to begin with

Re: Plott Hound Litters - 02/15/21 04:25 PM

My experience with plotts I’ve owned has been that they are slower to mature than curs. They were very hard headed to trash break and of course 99% are very open on track.

I am a cur dog man so I am bias. Lol but unless you are just wanting something with a colder nose I would stick with a cur or a cur/hound cross. The plotts that I had, I ended up breeding to curs to try to get a little colder nose on the curs. I ended up selling the plotts and culling most of the pups. The 2 pups that turned out of the 16 were good dogs but I eventually got my hands on the line of dogs I have now and haven’t looked back.

Re: Plott Hound Litters - 02/15/21 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by BayedUp
My experience with plotts I’ve owned has been that they are slower to mature than curs. They were very hard headed to trash break and of course 99% are very open on track.

I am a cur dog man so I am bias. Lol but unless you are just wanting something with a colder nose I would stick with a cur or a cur/hound cross. The plotts that I had, I ended up breeding to curs to try to get a little colder nose on the curs. I ended up selling the plotts and culling most of the pups. The 2 pups that turned out of the 16 were good dogs but I eventually got my hands on the line of dogs I have now and haven’t looked back.

When you say cur……which cur are you referring to?.....BMC?

I’d like to try a different breed than what I currently have just to branch out and see how other dogs work in comparison and to maybe have a little different “tool” to use……There’s a number of breeds I’d be willing to try…..My main goal though more than being set on one particular breed is to be able to get one from a quality line of hunting dogs whichever one it may be. I'm open to suggestions as to what you think might make the best tracking dogs out of the lines you're familiar with
Posted By: Ar1220

Re: Plott Hound Litters - 02/15/21 10:13 PM

I really likey black mouth cur. My buddy has a blue lacey that is a sho nuff good track dog

Re: Plott Hound Litters - 02/16/21 12:37 AM

Catahoula and black mouth are the most common but there are others that aren’t a recognized breed.

Parker Curs, Campbell Curs, Cracker or Florida Curs

Re: Plott Hound Litters - 02/16/21 01:02 PM

I know of a good breeding of catahoulas not far from me that will have pups later this spring.....I may go that route

Re: Plott Hound Litters - 02/16/21 02:43 PM

Are you wanting a big blocky dog that will possibly catch or a more athletic agile built dog?

Re: Plott Hound Litters - 02/16/21 03:22 PM

I’m not necessarily wanting a catch dog but I do want one that will be a good aggressive bay dog…..I track a lot out in the rural areas of Bullock and Macon on big properties where having a taller, leggier dog comes in handy. Otis is a good tracking hound but he’s just too short legged to be effective on many of the live deer…The quail plantation type understory is also tough for a short legged dog......It's just a lot easier for a taller dog to get around in that stuff

Re: Plott Hound Litters - 02/16/21 11:40 PM

If you don’t mind a big blocky built cur then I can get you in contact with a guy that has pups right now but they may already be spoken for. They are Howard blood line SBMC (Southern Black Mouth Curs)

They make good blood and squirrel dogs. I personally don’t like them for hog hunting because of their size, lack of agility to avoid getting cut, and to gritty for the way I like to hunt. We have one on the farm and he is just a old watch dog. He will bay a cow or hog, tree a squirrel, find a wounded deer, and is very protective of my kids and pop.

If you are interested just let me know and I will get you in contact with him.

Here are some pictures of some of them.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Plott Hound Litters - 02/17/21 12:44 AM

Yeah man!.....Check and see if they're spoken for and if he has any left.......That would be awesome to go ahead and get one so that I have all spring and summer to train before its first season......How is their temperament around other people? Do you think they would do well going from place to place around strangers? I know a lot of that is training and socializing too

Re: Plott Hound Litters - 02/17/21 01:54 AM

Ours runs free and roams all over the little community around the farm and has never acted aggressive towards anyone.

When a stranger pulls up and my kids are in the yard he stays close to the kids but always in between the stranger and the kids. If the kids aren’t around he meets them at the door trying to get petted. I don’t think they would be any trouble.

He said he may have one left. It is spoken for but the guy that’s supposed to get it still hasn’t sent deposit.

Re: Plott Hound Litters - 02/17/21 03:46 AM

Cool!.......Thanks for checking.... thumbup ...If something happens and it falls through let me know......Maybe something else will come up in the next few months
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Plott Hound Litters - 02/20/21 01:39 AM

I definitely think the black mouth is the way to go. Riggs is very smart and took to blood tracking almost immediately.

Re: Plott Hound Litters - 02/20/21 02:31 AM

Nah cnc don't need no black mouth......he needs him a pitbull dashund cross, short legged can't run off fast and gritty
Posted By: johnv

Re: Plott Hound Litters - 02/22/21 08:17 PM

I wouldn't take anything for my redbone/ BMC crossed hound I have. I love my plott hound puppy to though. She has got to where she takes her time and has a very cold nose on my mock tracks. One of my Catahoulas cotton has started opening and baying deer. Makes a awesome sounding race with the Catahoulas and hounds running together also. I got my last Catahoula from a guy named Raymond Plummer. He said she would be the smartest dog I ever owned and not scared of nothing. She definitely has turned into the smartest dog I ever owned and listens very well

Re: Plott Hound Litters - 03/03/21 04:56 PM

I've put a deposit down on a female black mouth cur puppy that will be here next week.....She's straight out of the Howard line in Washington Co.......Pretty excited to get her home. smile

Re: Plott Hound Litters - 03/04/21 03:02 AM

Post a pic of her when you get her if she turns out in a year or 2 and wanna raise some let me know

Re: Plott Hound Litters - 03/04/21 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Ar1220
Post a pic of her when you get her if she turns out in a year or 2 and wanna raise some let me know

thumbup

Re: Plott Hound Litters - 03/08/21 08:01 PM

Got a text from a guy last night that I track for about 5 miles down the road. It said "Heard you're getting one them South Alabama dogs this weekend!"......I didnt think nothing about it because I've told a few people and just figured it had gotten around. I sent him back a response and told him yeah and that I was excited about it.....I also attached a pic of the daddy....He responded laughing and told me the guy I was getting him from was his brother!.....Small world.....He's coming up here this weekend for the youth turkey hunt and bringing Lu-Lu to me. Cant be that..... grin....... Technically her name is gonna be Luna but I'm gonna go ahead and call her Lu-Lu......Bound to happen anyways.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM