Aldeer.com

Ideas for a good watch dog?

Posted By: Myerz

Ideas for a good watch dog? - 05/15/20 10:32 AM

I own a lawn and outdoor business, and with the craziness going on everywhere, I'm on the hunt for something that can watch my place while we're either gone or asleep. Id like something with good temperament, bc we do have company over from time to time, but could also keep someone away from our stuff. What do you guys think?
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Ideas for a good watch dog? - 05/15/20 11:09 AM

big black German Shepherd
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: Ideas for a good watch dog? - 05/15/20 12:57 PM

Female rednose pitbull
Posted By: BayedUp

Re: Ideas for a good watch dog? - 05/15/20 01:35 PM

A Blackmouth cur or a American Bulldog
Posted By: top cat

Re: Ideas for a good watch dog? - 05/15/20 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by BhamFred

Yup
Posted By: CNC

Re: Ideas for a good watch dog? - 05/15/20 07:00 PM

My Kopov is a great watch dog and you couldn't ask for a better temperament.....Now he's not gonna eat someone up if they do try to break in but he's gonna let you know if a skwerl farts in the yard.

Re: Ideas for a good watch dog? - 05/15/20 08:03 PM

if you ain't home and they break in, then you want something that will eat their azz up.

I'd say a Mal, but they are a handful just to get a smart guard dog. My Mal Taz was friendly with everyone who came to my house cept one. Neighbors 16 year old punk entered my house one day, thought I was gone. Error. Taz ate his azz up but good. I heard the commotion and finally found them in the side yard and she had a hold of his leg pretty good. I called her off pretty quick. Scared me at first, then I realized he had come into my house. I didn't call the cops, but made it plain to him if he ever came back in my yard I'd kill his azz. He left a blood trail as he left. Never saw him again.
Posted By: Bull64

Re: Ideas for a good watch dog? - 05/22/20 09:51 PM

Chessie...
Posted By: Jakethesnake

Re: Ideas for a good watch dog? - 05/27/20 06:42 AM

German Shepherd hands down. Mine lives to guard everything. He seems to know when he needs to attack too. Not much goes unnoticed by him. Only breed i will ever have.
Posted By: Myerz

Re: Ideas for a good watch dog? - 05/27/20 12:32 PM

I believe I've settled in a GS, now just to find one lol.
Posted By: jmudler

Re: Ideas for a good watch dog? - 05/27/20 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by BhamFred

This. They live to protect.
Posted By: cc28

Re: Ideas for a good watch dog? - 06/28/20 09:01 AM

I've been impressed with my Presa.. very intimidating, and will destroy an unwanted human, or animal. At the same time lay around in the yard with the cats that live here. Canary Island Mastiff for me.
Posted By: 3% outdoorsman

Re: Ideas for a good watch dog? - 07/01/20 03:52 AM

Rottweilers..... Mine are VERY smart,easy to train even at older ages,and don't bark alot except when something is going on.most loyal obedient pet you could ever own.only reason not used by police as used to be is they break bones and cause serious injury when they bite.strongest bite of any dog. they tend to over heat more than a Shepard because of short snout and dark coat but they are not as hyper and do not bark as much as most Shepard's.great dogs for truck rides or fishing boat trips. they don't tend to wonder off they only want to be beside you and protecting you and best of all if you get one that's not mean no one will take a chance they just look mean as hell.luckily mine will put a hurting on someone no doubt but are trust worthy and great around kids even small children
Posted By: Geno

Re: Ideas for a good watch dog? - 07/15/20 11:48 PM

Mal or dutch shepherd if you have the time and wherewithal to work them properly. It's every day. Big german shepherd otherwise.

We have a 60 pound dutchie and a 120lb weimeraner.

Our dutchie speaks english after being with us for about a year (all of ours were adult rescues). Just tell her what to do and she's on it. She came to us with a bad get out of the yard habit. That was tough to work through and she isn't 100% - more like 98% - if she sees a deer/rabbit/other dog, she really wants to go chase it.. She also sneaks about 1/4 of a lick in daily. No licking people in our house so that's a tough one when they love you so much.
Posted By: Scout308

Re: Ideas for a good watch dog? - 09/07/20 03:05 AM

Catahoula Bulldog

Re: Ideas for a good watch dog? - 09/07/20 12:11 PM

Geno, my Mal Taz had probably an 80 word English vocabulary. I rarely gave her dog commands, just talked to her like I would a person.

One day my wife was in one of those arguing moods...Taz didn't like any fussing period and would get very alert. Wife went in the very small bathroom and sat on the toilet. Her feet were maybe twenty four inches from the door to the bedroom. She was still arguing with me. I told Taz to go "snatch momma off the pot". Wife said you better not. Taz Looked at me and grabbed wife pants leg and snatched her five feet off the pot onto the bedroom floor. I laughed till I cried...then Taz and I ran for it and hid for a few hours.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM