Aldeer.com

At what age?

Posted By: shootnmiss

At what age? - 12/22/19 04:27 PM

So my daughter got my wife a yellow lab for Christmas. Hes 8 week old. My wife is determined to train him to track. At what age would be best to start working him? Thanks for any response.
Posted By: Ar1220

Re: At what age? - 12/22/19 04:56 PM

Now start playing with him with a piece of hide doing lil short 20 yard liver drags
Posted By: shootnmiss

Re: At what age? - 12/22/19 05:17 PM

Appreciate it
Posted By: Ar1220

Re: At what age? - 12/22/19 07:28 PM

My dog was 5 months old when he ran his first live track on a deer I shot.
I started him on short liver drags and hide drags playing with him and teaching some obideince( some my not have took like I wanted ).
Save you up some deer blood and a couple livers and get you some feet
Most professors will save you a liver and feet but you want feet off deer that ran atleast a 100 yds after there shot
Posted By: Rutabaga

Re: At what age? - 12/22/19 08:45 PM

Don’t know your situation, but if you hunt at home or have access to your puppy every time you kill a deer, put it on all of them. I had a blue heeler I trained this way. Shoot a deer DRT in my greenfield and I would let it lay. Obvious there was not a blood trail. I would go to the house and get the puppy and bring back to the field and put her down as far away from the deer as possible. I would let her sniff and play and lead her closer and closer to the dead deer and she would eventually wind it and find the deer. Of course, nothing beats a good bloody trail. Over the years this dog tracked and winded deer for me. Dang I miss that dog.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM