Aldeer.com

How do you break a dog from eating nails & screws?

Posted By: NFHunter

How do you break a dog from eating nails & screws? - 08/13/19 01:30 AM

We rescued a stray (mostly GSP) about 2 months ago. We're in remodel phase on a house we just bought. The dog is about a year old, according to the vet. He has eaten rocks and brick since we found him. I assume it passes. Today we caught hin eating screws & nails. Does anybody know what the heck is wrong with him? It seems like these things should kill him unless surgically removed, and I'm not sure I want to pay for surgery, especially if he's going to eat them again. I don't know how to keep him away from such things on a mini-farm in the middle of a remodel. Any thoughts or ideas?
Posted By: furnfeather

Re: How do you break a dog from eating nails & screws? - 08/13/19 03:42 AM

Some people might not like what I'll suggest but a dogtra 1900s turned up to 60(goes to 127) stopped a female gsd i have from eating rocks. And this dog is widevopen and constantly worked so boredom wasn't a factor. She's always chewing on a kong or ball but I couldn't take a chance on her ingesting rocks or breaking teeth or worse. Just that quick and no more rock eating. Long line or prong or redirection ever stopped it. The dogtra shut that mess down asap

Re: How do you break a dog from eating nails & screws? - 08/13/19 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by furnfeather
Some people might not like what I'll suggest but a dogtra 1900s turned up to 60(goes to 127) stopped a female gsd i have from eating rocks. And this dog is widevopen and constantly worked so boredom wasn't a factor. She's always chewing on a kong or ball but I couldn't take a chance on her ingesting rocks or breaking teeth or worse. Just that quick and no more rock eating. Long line or prong or redirection ever stopped it. The dogtra shut that mess down asap

We just got a unit of some sort (wife picked it yesterday) to try that. Thanks
Posted By: juice

Re: How do you break a dog from eating nails & screws? - 08/13/19 07:33 PM

You ever heard of a crate?
Posted By: eclipse829

Re: How do you break a dog from eating nails & screws? - 08/13/19 07:42 PM

lay a hand full out in the sun. That'll break him.
Posted By: KHOOKS

Re: How do you break a dog from eating nails & screws? - 08/13/19 08:57 PM

get them a MRI after eating them. that will stop them!
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: How do you break a dog from eating nails & screws? - 08/14/19 12:18 AM

I would think the nails and screws would break him from eating nails and screws.
Posted By: demp17

Re: How do you break a dog from eating nails & screws? - 08/14/19 02:25 PM

must be something about the GSPs and trying to eat weird stuff. I have one that is 3 years old, she doesn't really do it anymore but at one point in time she ate socks like they were dog treats, I quit counting at 22!.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: How do you break a dog from eating nails & screws? - 08/15/19 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by FurFlyin
I would think the nails and screws would break him from eating nails and screws.

This

Re: How do you break a dog from eating nails & screws? - 08/16/19 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by demp17
must be something about the GSPs and trying to eat weird stuff. I have one that is 3 years old, she doesn't really do it anymore but at one point in time she ate socks like they were dog treats, I quit counting at 22!.

They do eat weird stuff. Been looking at forums and there's lots of crazy stories.

Re: How do you break a dog from eating nails & screws? - 08/16/19 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by Ben2
Originally Posted by FurFlyin

This

Agreed
Posted By: Shotts

Re: How do you break a dog from eating nails & screws? - 09/08/19 02:20 AM

Had a mountain cur that ate acorns all the time. The vet said some dogs jut do it and it will ultimately kill them. I kept her in a floored kennel and watched her when we had her out hunting. One of the hardest treeing dogs I have ever seen but didn’t have a lick of sense. I got her she was almost 4 and I finally quit because I thought I was going to kill her with an alpha.

If it can be broke a good shock collar will do it, or that is my experience.
Posted By: Skinny

Re: How do you break a dog from eating nails & screws? - 09/08/19 12:04 PM

Its called pica, a malnutrition thing from being a stray. he needs vitamins.
Posted By: gundoc

Re: How do you break a dog from eating nails & screws? - 09/09/19 12:59 AM

I have a mixed breed that likes to eat empty fired .22 brass crazy
© 2024 ALDEER.COM