Aldeer.com

What defines obedience?

Posted By: AUwrestler

What defines obedience? - 02/16/19 09:16 PM

I've started helping some friends with training there but and going well. But have found my very strick standard for dogs and how they act and follow commands is not matched. My border collie passed HRC seasoned a year ago. I like a dog to do what I say, when I say and seek permission before doing things on their own, unless in "free" mode. I like for dogs to be able to walk on loose leash, come, stay, sit, down, and place/kennel on command Everytime to be called basic obedient.
What do you look for in a obedient dog?
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: What defines obedience? - 02/17/19 01:29 AM

doing what I say the first time I say it, without hesitation or raising my voice.

My K-9 Tax was trained on most of her work in hand signals, same standards.
Posted By: icducks

Re: What defines obedience? - 02/22/19 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by BhamFred
doing what I say the first time I say it, without hesitation or raising my voice.

My K-9 Tax was trained on most of her work in hand signals, same standards.

That’s how I feel too.
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: What defines obedience? - 02/22/19 02:55 PM

[quote=BhamFred]doing what I say the first time I say it, without hesitation or raising my voice.
Posted By: Fishduck

Re: What defines obedience? - 02/22/19 04:05 PM

My standards are similar. Basically it means the dog is under control at all times and not a pain in the rear.

People in general don't know squat about dogs. They treat them like little people. Dogs are pack animals and don't reason. So if the dog is allowed to put paws on the owner, steal food off plates and out of the garbage and jailbreak every time a door opens then the dog is the alpha. The human is just a facilitator. You can bribe the dog with treats, affection, ect but the dog is in charge and will do what it wants when presented with a better option.
Posted By: inatree

Re: What defines obedience? - 03/19/19 03:07 AM

BhamFred basically hit the nail on the head.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM