Aldeer.com

Started dogs

Posted By: Mully

Started dogs - 01/02/19 01:47 PM

I had to put my 13 yr old lab down last week. Man that is something I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy. I'd say within the next 6 months I will be looking to get another dog to keep my boykin company. I had said I wanted to buy a started boykin but they are hard to some by and now that I don't have my lab I sure do miss having a lab. I am now leaning toward a started female black lab. I am wanting one as a family dog, companion and a dog to dove hunt/duck hunt 15-20 times a year. I don't need a dog that can run 200yd blinds and mark 4 birds at once and be the next world champion retriever. I just want a well behaved dog that will retrieve to hand. I have searched the internet and these dogs can be found from $1000-$15,000 from people all over. I am just looking for some suggestions of a reputable trainer/kennel where I could find a dog like this. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Posted By: PaintRock0

Re: Started dogs - 01/02/19 02:23 PM

Look on the retriever training Forum web pages. You may find a started dog there but may still be $1000 or so. Check it out.

Re: Started dogs - 01/02/19 02:27 PM

I have looked on them and dogs are plentiful for whatever price you want to pay. I don't mind paying a fair price for a good dog but I am just looking for someone that knows more than me that might could steer me in the direction of a reputable trainer/kennel. Maybe someone who has purchased one or who trains with someone that is trustworthy. I just feel a little weird calling up John Doe off of a random forum about a dog I know nothing about.
Posted By: AU coonhunter

Re: Started dogs - 01/02/19 03:51 PM

It all depends on what level of started you want. A well bred puppy will run $500-1000+. Then it depends on what level of training you want the dog to have. I know you mentioned 200 yard blinds, it is still the same framework for a 20 yard blind as a 200 yarder. So there is still a lot of work involved with the initial training. Lots of variables involved is what I am getting at. I can give you a guys number from North Alabama/ Southern TN that trains and sells some started dogs.

Re: Started dogs - 01/02/19 05:33 PM

I guess I am trying to say I basically want a steady retriever. One that can live inside/outside, and be part of the family but I can also take her hunting and she not embarrass me by acting a fool(I will work with her in the off season to keep her tuned up). I'd like a dog that is crate trained, has basic obedience, FF, collar conditioned, conditioned to gun fire, water conditioned, and just general basic retrieves. My want for a started dog comes because I failed with this boykin I have mainly due to shortly after getting her my wife found out she was pregnant and I got a big contract at work that kept me there more and in turn my boykin became an excellent companion/bed buddy.
Posted By: AU coonhunter

Re: Started dogs - 01/02/19 09:05 PM

I would suggest calling around to different trainers and see if they have anything that would fit your needs. You will be looking at an 8-10+ month old pup, and I would say $2,500-5000. You might also find one that isn’t a hard charging retriever that doesn’t fit the trainers program for less money.
Posted By: demp17

Re: Started dogs - 01/03/19 08:26 PM

A guy you could check with is over in Athens, AL. He owns Spin Top Kennels and deals with Boykins. His name is David Holt and he breeds some great dogs, also one of the nicest people you will ever meet.
Posted By: jw33

Re: Started dogs - 01/04/19 01:50 AM

I am no expert but I do have a lab that I bought as a started dog from Sporting Life Kennels in Oxford Mississippi that I am happy with. Training prices vary from trainer to trainer and some dogs take longer than others to get where you want them. If I was giving any advice it would be to talk to several different trainers and tell them what you expect the dog to be able to do when you get it back. A started dog to one trainer is not the same as a started dog to another trainer. They all have their own definition, so the more you know about what you expect the better you can communicate that to the trainer and the better idea he can give you as to how long it will take to get the dog to that level. Oh by the way I do have a 4 month old yellow female puppy that I would sale.

Re: Started dogs - 01/04/19 02:30 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I am starting to email and call a few folks to see what is out there.
Posted By: chevydude2015

Re: Started dogs - 01/05/19 03:30 AM

Check out Old Dixie Kennels on instagram. He has a started Boykin spaniel for sale

https://www.instagram.com/olddixiekennels/?hl=en
Posted By: juice

Re: Started dogs - 01/05/19 03:14 PM

Send me a PM and I can try to help you run something down.

Re: Started dogs - 01/05/19 03:15 PM

I’m not trying to be ugly but that guy couldn’t train his way out of a wet paper sack.

Originally Posted by chevydude2015
Check out Old Dixie Kennels on instagram. He has a started Boykin spaniel for sale

https://www.instagram.com/olddixiekennels/?hl=en
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: Started dogs - 01/06/19 02:58 AM

Man, I'm really sorry to hear about your dog. It's awful to go through that. Laidback on here may be able to help you out with someone that may have what you need.

Dr. B
Posted By: Bull64

Re: Started dogs - 01/07/19 01:01 AM

Jimmy McMahan and Tyler Patterson @ Sur-Shot Kennels...

Re: Started dogs - 01/07/19 09:26 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am paying attention to everyones suggestions. Doc, it was a tough thing to go through but I knew when he virtually quit eating on Dec 23 that something was wrong. I fed him twice a day for 13 years and for him to not eat wasn't normal. I noticed in that time period he was drinking more water and I had a good feeling that his kidney were failing as the last two dogs I have had died the same way at around the same age. Dr. Aman and Sirmon at Partners for Pets along with their staff were excellent people to deal with during that tough couple of days.
Posted By: Honolua

Re: Started dogs - 01/31/19 05:07 AM

Good thing to do while you're looking is to ask the owners if the parents of whatever dog you are looking at are OFA'd and Cerf'd (at the minimum). If they ain't I'd run the other way pretty quick. You can often find hunt test/field trial wash outs at a discount that will make fine bird dogs.

Re: Started dogs - 01/31/19 01:58 PM

I will definitely make sure the parents have been tested for hips, eyes and EIC for sure.

Re: Started dogs - 06/03/19 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by juice
Send me a PM and I can try to help you run something down.

I have just bought a 5 month old puppy and she is heading to train with Shawn Sims. I got to thinking the sire's name sounded familiar and well the sire is Juice. She is out of Juice and HRCH Battlecreek's Crown Jewel(Diamond). I am really looking forward to see how she progresses.
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: Started dogs - 06/04/19 12:26 AM

Congrats on new pup! What color and name?

Dr. B

Re: Started dogs - 06/04/19 12:57 PM

She is black and her current name is Boo. Shawn says at her age it could be changed if I wanted to change it but I think I kind of like Boo!

Re: Started dogs - 06/04/19 05:31 PM

Mully, did you buy her from Kyle Stanfield?
Posted By: laidback

Re: Started dogs - 06/04/19 05:31 PM

Shawn is a good trainer. I have sold several pups to him and he trained another pup I sold to his client to HRCH/MH. I just sold exactly what you are looking for but it was a male. I sold him for $1200. He was well bred and worth way more than what he sold for. Let me know when you get ready. I have a 7 month old BLF that might be available in few months.

Re: Started dogs - 06/05/19 01:25 PM

I did. Shawn put me on her. Heopfully she turns out to be a good one.

Re: Started dogs - 06/06/19 07:27 PM

Gotcha. Hopefully she will turn out. I felt like it was a pretty solid breeding when we did it.

Originally Posted by Mully

I did. Shawn put me on her. Heopfully she turns out to be a good one.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM