Aldeer.com

Digging Dog

Posted By: hallb

Digging Dog - 07/26/18 03:34 PM

So, adopted a hound mix from the pound so my other dog would have a running partner. I have about 1.5 acres fenced in, mix of woods and grass in my backyard...this stupid dog still won't stop digging under the fence. I've fixed holes, blocked them off and she'll dig right next to it, rinse, lather, repeat. And yes, the dog has learned of my displeasure with said holes. I also have a 10X20 dog run in the yard, with half of it a concrete slab with a big covered house on it. I've left her in there a few times, and she about dug to China, but never was able to get out of it.

Any suggestions besides a .22 to the ear? I have a shock collar, but the problem is have to catch her in the act for it to do any good. I don't want a dog that's gonna keep doing this, I don't want to go tracking it down in the neighborhood or patching dang holes under the fence. About ready to just take my collars off of it and let it go run.
Posted By: furnfeather

Re: Digging Dog - 07/26/18 06:31 PM

Constant not pulse 5 mile and up fence charger ran in a single strand or ribbon 4" off the ground and that'll stop the digging under the fence.
Posted By: Stob

Re: Digging Dog - 07/26/18 06:41 PM

We have a Cur dog that will open the front door to the house and come
in the AC if you don't keep it locked.
Posted By: Brianmashburn

Re: Digging Dog - 07/27/18 12:07 AM

I agree with furnfeather/cousin eddie.
Posted By: BayedUp

Re: Digging Dog - 08/21/18 12:38 AM

Hound = very high drive ( most of the time).

Sounds to me like you are fighting a losing battle. Hounds are hunting dogs that require action. They don’t make good yard dogs unless they are able to ramble on way more than an acre and a half. You may can break him from it but it’s gonna be hard.
Posted By: MS_Hunter

Re: Digging Dog - 08/21/18 01:52 AM

The only thing that I ever found to make my dog stop digging was to put his chit in the hole.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Digging Dog - 08/21/18 03:15 AM

Light her up, stay on her til you catch her and shock the piss out of her a couple times, as soon as her foot hits the dirt hammer her.
Posted By: Pwyse

Re: Digging Dog - 08/22/18 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by Ben2
Light her up, stay on her til you catch her and shock the piss out of her a couple times, as soon as her foot hits the dirt hammer her.

This

Re: Digging Dog - 08/22/18 05:39 PM

Well, she has moved on from the digging under the fence and now just jumps it. 5' chain link. So, I gave up and she's now a free range dog and she comes and goes as she pleases. If she gets picked up, she ain't getting bailed out!
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Digging Dog - 08/22/18 06:14 PM

So now she's everybody else's problem? Man up and put a bullet in her head.

Re: Digging Dog - 08/22/18 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by blumsden
So now she's everybody else's problem? Man up and put a bullet in her head.

Nobody else's problem as far as I know, have you talked with my neighbors? I live in the country, there's plenty of other free range dogs around me and she's not causing anybody any problems.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Digging Dog - 08/23/18 12:28 PM

Hall, I don't know your situation, but let me give you an example of what has happened to me. My brother owns some remote hunting property on top of a mountain. No houses within 3 miles or more, yet everytime we went hunting we had free ranging dogs coming thru, usually chasing deer. We handled the situation, but this is the mindset most pet owners have, "My free ranging dog isn't bothering anybody, but usually they are. Just because there are other free ranging dogs in the area, doesn't mean you need to add to the already existing problem. Dogs are pack animals and those free ranging dogs will pack up and make their rounds every single day. They will cover miles. We used to have a big problem on our hunting club, but not anymore.

Re: Digging Dog - 08/23/18 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by blumsden
Hall, I don't know your situation, but let me give you an example of what has happened to me. My brother owns some remote hunting property on top of a mountain. No houses within 3 miles or more, yet everytime we went hunting we had free ranging dogs coming thru, usually chasing deer. We handled the situation, but this is the mindset most pet owners have, "My free ranging dog isn't bothering anybody, but usually they are. Just because there are other free ranging dogs in the area, doesn't mean you need to add to the already existing problem. Dogs are pack animals and those free ranging dogs will pack up and make their rounds every single day. They will cover miles. We used to have a big problem on our hunting club, but not anymore.

Not any hunting going on around me. The dog still spends the majority of it's time here and best I can tell doesn't roam too far. I've talked with my neighbors. If you see it on your hunting land, feel free to handle it as you deem necessary.
Posted By: bowtarist

Re: Digging Dog - 09/02/18 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Stob
We have a Cur dog that will open the front door to the house and come
in the AC if you don't keep it locked.

Mine does the same thing. Especially at supper time.
Posted By: goodman_hunter

Re: Digging Dog - 09/13/18 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ben2

Yep
© 2024 ALDEER.COM