Aldeer.com

training/shock collars

Posted By: Shaneomac2

training/shock collars - 07/18/18 09:09 PM

Looking for one for my sons lab. Ive had some stubborn ones but he takes the cake. any suggestions on the best brand to get? For strictly obedience training, i ve tried all the easier methods ive used in year spast. But not all dogs are the same.
Posted By: AU coonhunter

Re: training/shock collars - 07/18/18 09:31 PM

All I have ever used is tritronics/garmin. You may try collar clinic and see what deals / refurbs they have. https://www.collarclinic.com

Re: training/shock collars - 07/18/18 09:53 PM

thnaks bud. Gonna look at them later!
Posted By: Carlos

Re: training/shock collars - 07/19/18 03:52 AM

I use a pet safe 1000. He is a different dog when the collar is on. It beeps or shocks. Use shock sparingly and only when needed to reinforce a command. Also, he HATES a pinch (not choke) collar. I can put it on and kids can lead him around. He will not put any resistance on the collar and it’s perfect for training on a leash. Mine is batchit crazy but we are making progress.
Posted By: volfan

Re: training/shock collars - 07/19/18 11:46 AM

Be sure to get one that's water proof. We have used Sport Dog and had good luck with them.
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: training/shock collars - 07/19/18 02:23 PM

I have a Garmin that works well.
Posted By: Bull64

Re: training/shock collars - 07/19/18 03:58 PM

I have used a Sport Dog Wetlandhunter and never had a problem with it
Posted By: rst87

Re: training/shock collars - 07/19/18 08:56 PM

I have a sport dog 425. I like it only thing is the remote is smaller. Which is good in ways. I think the remote is bigger on the next size collar. Look on gundogsupply.com. They have a lot of video reviews and good prices from what I can tell.
Posted By: hallb

Re: training/shock collars - 07/20/18 01:27 AM

I have a Garmin Delta that works really well. It has vibrate, which usually does the trick b/c most of the time it's about getting their attention.
Posted By: ozarktroutbum

Re: training/shock collars - 07/20/18 12:52 PM

I used to use a
Originally Posted by Bull64
I have used a Sport Dog Wetlandhunter and never had a problem with it
I believe I used to use this one. It was really easy to use. You could either beep or shock.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: training/shock collars - 07/20/18 03:07 PM

Tritronics 9 years and still works great. Got to order a new collar for my new puppy soon
Posted By: CAM

Re: training/shock collars - 07/21/18 07:52 PM

I'm on my second Sports Dog Wetland Hunter. I got about 5 years out of the first one. My Lab will be 7 years old in August and I rarely have to use it anymore wink

Re: training/shock collars - 07/24/18 08:25 PM

I went with the sd-105 sport dog trainer from gundogsupply. Put it on him and gave him a "buzz". he looked at me like i was lsap azz stupid. So he proceeds to do whathe wanted to, so i elevated the power. After about 30- 45 minutes of calling,trying to teach him about the whole collar deal, i ( actually him) decided this one isnt going to work. I need something with a little more "juice" apparently.....

Re: training/shock collars - 07/24/18 08:47 PM

What are you trying to get him to do or not do?

Re: training/shock collars - 07/24/18 09:05 PM

stay, heel lay, exc.. ive trained several dogs ( i know all are different). but he is just plain stubborn. if he doesnt want to do it he doesnt.

Re: training/shock collars - 07/24/18 09:13 PM

Ive tried with and without treats every since he was a puppy. I normally spend 20 minutes a day doing the basic stuff. Either his elevator is stuck on the 3rd floor or hes just a hard head. Or im terrible at training.lol

Re: training/shock collars - 07/24/18 09:14 PM

Have you tried a pinch collar and check cord? How old? Stubborn dogs can dang sure try your patience. I have a 5 month yellow female that has finally saw the light, I hope lol.

Re: training/shock collars - 07/24/18 09:17 PM

he is 9 months old and he does great on a leash .. Off of the leash and something peaks his interest? he gone!
Posted By: Reno

Re: training/shock collars - 07/24/18 09:27 PM

Ive got a sportdog I use and like it pretty good. It has more than enough juice for my dog... now I just give him a tone and he stops what hes doing because he knows whats coming next

Re: training/shock collars - 07/24/18 09:35 PM

Maybe i need to shave his nuggets and see how he responds.. I kid i kid... ( kinda)

Re: training/shock collars - 07/24/18 09:52 PM

Is the collar making good contact? May need to trim his hair back so the contacts can touch his skin. I have the sportdog tek1 and it will put my dog on his ass (thats how I figured out about the collar making good contact eek)

Re: training/shock collars - 07/24/18 09:53 PM

You may just need some more voltage then. Make sure the collar is plenty tight to give the points contact.

Re: training/shock collars - 07/24/18 09:58 PM

Yeah it has good contact. I can watch his neck move when i hit the button.
Posted By: rst87

Re: training/shock collars - 07/24/18 10:37 PM

My sport dog has a high setting can’t remember how you activate it. Seems like you turn it on and then hold the power button until it beeps twice and that will activate a higher setting. I leave mine on the lower setting. It is a 425. Not sure if your model has that.

Re: training/shock collars - 07/25/18 01:16 PM

Im sending it back. back to square one.

Re: training/shock collars - 07/26/18 02:38 AM

I had a pit once that was hard headed as they come.. That joker took off one day to the neighbors house when he was about 8-9 months old. I hollared and he stopped, looked back and kept on running mad so I grab his leash and take off towards there house (about 400 yards) and along the way I picked a switch about 6' long. He ran circles while i beat his ass the whole way home... After that day, he was the best dog I ever had
Posted By: BC

Re: training/shock collars - 07/26/18 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Shaneomac2
Looking for one for my sons lab. Ive had some stubborn ones but he takes the cake. any suggestions on the best brand to get? For strictly obedience training, i ve tried all the easier methods ive used in year spast. But not all dogs are the same.

Is it one of the ones I gave y'all several years back? If so he come by it honest, his dad was the hardest headed lab I've ever seen. That stupid dog would completely ignore a shock collar. He would just take it until you got tired of dishing it out and then go on about his business. He finally met a car up on the highway that he couldn't handle.

Re: training/shock collars - 07/26/18 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by BC
Originally Posted by Shaneomac2

Is it one of the ones I gave y'all several years back? If so he come by it honest, his dad was the hardest headed lab I've ever seen. That stupid dog would completely ignore a shock collar. He would just take it until you got tired of dishing it out and then go on about his business. He finally met a car up on the highway that he couldn't handle.

No it wasnt him he caught parvo and died when he was less than a year old. but he was stubborn as a mule. My buddy still has the female and she is a good dog!
Posted By: BC

Re: training/shock collars - 07/26/18 04:59 PM

All the females in that litter turned out great but the males weren't worth shooting.
Posted By: laidback

Re: training/shock collars - 07/27/18 03:58 AM

Is the dog collar conditioned? Does he know how to turn on and off the pressure? It sounds like basic obedience is weak and should be revisited before you apply collar pressure.
Posted By: sgt0004

Re: training/shock collars - 08/15/18 02:05 AM

I have the Garmin Delta and when it is charged it works good. The collar won't stay charged. I can charge it until the green light starts flashing and within an hour it is dead.
Posted By: WIDGEON

Re: training/shock collars - 08/27/18 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by laidback
Is the dog collar conditioned? Does he know how to turn on and off the pressure? It sounds like basic obedience is weak and should be revisited before you apply collar pressure.

Exactly.
Posted By: Dano

Re: training/shock collars - 08/27/18 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by WIDGEON
Originally Posted by laidback

Exactly.

You can ruin a good dog without this for sure.
Posted By: hyco

Re: training/shock collars - 09/30/18 10:01 PM

You have to find his number. All dogs are different. Some are more hard headed but all can be broke. I started with TriTronics and have graduated up to Garmin Alpha. The most important thing is they know what you want. I start all of mine on a 100ft string. First thing they learn is to come here. They graduate to different things at different times depending on stubborness. An old coon hunter once told me that you could make a dog scratch the bark off a tree trying to climb it if that’s what he thinks you want him to do. That’s the key, he has to have an idea what you want him to do.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM