Aldeer.com

Duck Dog training

Posted By: Dalton

Duck Dog training - 03/05/18 02:14 PM

I have a 14 week old black lab pup that i am wanting to train as a duck dog. I’ve never duck hunted before and am wanting to give it a try next season so im hoping i can get her trained so we can have a good first season. Are there any experienced hunters that wouldn’t mind giving me some advice on training her? I don’t want to make any big mistakes getting her trained. Thanks in advance
Posted By: Blackwater_Reb

Re: Duck Dog training - 03/05/18 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dalton
I have a 14 week old black lab pup that i am wanting to train as a duck dog. I’ve never duck hunted before and am wanting to give it a try next season so im hoping i can get her trained so we can have a good first season. Are there any experienced hunters that wouldn’t mind giving me some advice on training her? I don’t want to make any big mistakes getting her trained. Thanks in advance

Check out this site. You can learn alongside with her.

https://www.cornerstonegundogacademy.com/
Posted By: BONETHUG

Re: Duck Dog training - 03/05/18 03:57 PM

Silver Banded Retrievers, William Crawford 205-792-9288
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Duck Dog training - 03/06/18 12:11 PM

PM Jwattsmojo on here. He's in Ft. Payne.
Posted By: Fishduck

Re: Duck Dog training - 03/06/18 03:23 PM

You are asking at a good time. Black Warrior will have a test this weekend at the State Cattle Ranch out of Greensboro. Both of the trainers mentioned will be running dogs.

I will be at Master B probably shooting flyers if you want to meet a few people. Bring a shotgun with a skeet choke & you can sit with me and shoot mallard ducks a while.

Mark Land
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: Duck Dog training - 03/07/18 03:57 AM

I learned off youtube and chris akin videos. Found a buddy while training and now he teaches me alot. Got my first dog ever to train to pass his hrc seasoned on first try. Just be patient and love your dog.
Posted By: cpcal21

Re: Duck Dog training - 03/12/18 11:37 PM

I would 100% recommend getting a comprehensive program of some kind. Especially since you have little experience in gun dog work. They are going to walk you through training the dog and will help you learn the ropes as well. I use Cornerstone Gundog Academy (Alabama/Mississippi guys started it) and I would recommend it to anybody, but there are lots of other good programs out there. I've heard great things about Bill Hillman and Lardy's programs as well.
Posted By: Bull64

Re: Duck Dog training - 03/13/18 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by AUwrestler
I learned off youtube and chris akin videos. Found a buddy while training and now he teaches me alot. Got my first dog ever to train to pass his hrc seasoned on first try. Just be patient and love your dog.

Just be patient and love your dog.This...
Posted By: laidback

Re: Duck Dog training - 03/13/18 10:10 PM

I use several programs but mainly Lardy's Total Retriever Training 2. It's 5 or 6 DVD'S and a lot of info. You need to hook up with a local training group. Fishduck and I trained for years together along with a few others. If you hook up with him he is a wealth of knowledge.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM