Aldeer.com

Dog won't "go"

Posted By: Reno

Dog won't "go" - 10/03/17 09:58 PM

Not sure what's going on but here lately, my dog wont "go"... I'll cut him loose and he'll lead out about 50 yards and then stop, look at me and then come sit beside me crazy If I start walking, he'll get out ahead of me but if I stop, soon as he notices it, he'll come flop down beside me.

I've tried to send him on and I've tried to ignore him.. He still comes back. He'll sniff around and he'll get up on a tree (he's checked quite a few trees that had a nest in it) and he shows interest but how can I get him to get some range to him and hunt?

Edit: he's a 10 month old mt cur
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Dog won't "go" - 10/03/17 10:01 PM

He's hunting with you. That's the difference in a squirrel dog and a hound. A squirrel dog hunts with you and a hound is going hunting whether you go or not

Re: Dog won't "go" - 10/03/17 10:34 PM

Lol, so its normal? I was thinking that he would get out a little farther, like 100-200 yards. He was putting some distance between us until the last few times we went to the woods...
Posted By: juice

Re: Dog won't "go" - 10/04/17 12:57 PM

Have you corrected with an ecollar lately? Burned him for running off?
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Dog won't "go" - 10/04/17 05:08 PM

Haven't ever had that problem unless they were real young. Just keep walking and see if he gets out of it.

Re: Dog won't "go" - 10/04/17 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: juice
Have you corrected with an ecollar lately? Burned him for running off?

Yes, in the park... He was going after a chic running with her dog.

Re: Dog won't "go" - 10/04/17 08:32 PM

I was thinking that buzzing him may have had something to do with him not getting out there... I've only had to let him know twice and both times were in the park.

Its fun watching him get some fire in him on those park squirrels grin but we're done with that for a while. Now that season is in, we're going after that first kill
Posted By: Jwattsmojo

Re: Dog won't "go" - 10/05/17 06:23 AM

Juice gave you your answer

Re: Dog won't "go" - 10/05/17 12:21 PM

Now that you know what caused it, do you know how to properly collar condition your dog to the here command?

Re: Dog won't "go" - 10/05/17 12:41 PM

Now that you know what caused it, do you know how to properly collar condition your dog to the here command?

No sir, this is my first crack at training a dog. He's good about coming when I call for him (just me and him) but other dogs can be a distraction... If you've got some pointers, I'm all ears

Re: Dog won't "go" - 10/05/17 06:57 PM

I'll be tied up with s field trial the next few days. If you will pm me your number I'll give you a call.

Re: Dog won't "go" - 10/05/17 07:50 PM

I'll be tied up with s field trial the next few days. If you will pm me your number I'll give you a call.

thanks, pm sent thumbup
© 2024 ALDEER.COM