Aldeer.com

New Owner of Mountain Cur

Posted By: desertdog

New Owner of Mountain Cur - 07/11/17 11:09 PM

Had him a couple weeks now is around 3 months old. So far we couldn't be happier. Surprised at the the number of people that have never heard of the Cur breed. Any tips on training one or other info, they seem to like a job and appears they can be trained to hunt about anything.
Posted By: oakachoy

Re: New Owner of Mountain Cur - 07/12/17 08:23 AM

Congrats, I love my two. I would just start with basic training. leash and load, definitely come when called. Do you know the bloodline?
Posted By: Reno

Re: New Owner of Mountain Cur - 07/12/17 09:38 AM

I got my mt cut pup from oakachoy and he's a damn good dog. I listened to what he said and just let him be a pup, just teaching him the basics here and there.. He's almost most 8 months and has that stuff down.

I just got a track and train collar so now I'm getting him used to wearing it and figuring him out as far as getting his attention without verbally calling him.

Be patient and he'll come along good. I found it best to work on training when its just you and him.
Posted By: oakachoy

Re: New Owner of Mountain Cur - 07/12/17 10:19 AM

I never used drags or skins to train, I think most do and say not to overdo it. I taught mine to leash really well and took them to Wind Creek park and walked trails and back area's where there is a lot of squirrel. If no one was around I let him chase and tree. Both of my dogs know what we are after. After they know the game, they really improve when you shoot the game to them and give them a good taste. I only shot out when they were treeing well and stayed with it. I am by no means an expert but it works for me. They are my pet's and a part of my family, I have patience with them. I don't comp hunt so, take what I say for what its worth. I just know it's in the blood of my dogs for sure and that's all it takes for the right Cur.

http://www.register-herald.com/sports/do...dd9d33dd61.html
Posted By: desertdog

Re: New Owner of Mountain Cur - 07/12/17 11:40 AM

Thanks guys not sure on the bloodline is as he's not registered. What's the best way to train to walk on a leash. I know all dogs will fight a leash they will pull every direction against you. What about if they lay or sit and refuse to move. Any suggestions besides dragging them?
Posted By: Reno

Re: New Owner of Mountain Cur - 07/12/17 01:37 PM

From what I've read, if they pull and act crazy, just be still until they figure out they cant get away... If he just sits, tie him out and walk away so he will try to follow you.
Posted By: Cuz-Pat

Re: New Owner of Mountain Cur - 07/13/17 09:44 PM

I have a 2 year old brindle female that I got from oakachoy.

Best dog I've ever owned in my life.

Period.

They are an awesome breed.
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: New Owner of Mountain Cur - 07/31/17 12:28 PM

Anyone ever used a cur to retrieve dove? i ve always had labs but was just curious
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: New Owner of Mountain Cur - 07/31/17 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Shaneomac2
Anyone ever used a cur to retrieve dove? i ve always had labs but was just curious

Mine don't have soft mouths so it wouldn't be a good idea.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM