Aldeer.com

Coon problems.

Posted By: L8hnter

Coon problems. - 11/13/18 06:02 PM

Anyone come up with a ingenious way to stop the coons from climbing legs and spinning your feeder empty. The so called varmint cage doesn't work. Thinking maybe metal cones on the legs that they can't get around. Even thought two litre bottles turned as cones. Hit me with the fix guys. These bastards have emptied 2 that should have lasted til February.
Posted By: huntndave

Re: Coon problems. - 11/14/18 12:39 AM

if you can find a couple of 4' pieces of pvc pipe 10" in diameter slip them over each of the legs. If you use smaller diameter they can still climb it.
Posted By: jdfarm23

Re: Coon problems. - 11/14/18 12:51 AM

Coons? Well raccoons tried to get in our back porch, mama just chase ‘em off with a broom
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Coon problems. - 11/14/18 03:29 AM

Moultrie has a motor and spinner with a shocking cage around it. I have had no issues with it keeping the coons out thus far

Re: Coon problems. - 11/14/18 04:44 AM

Sounds like a great idea but quite expensive.
Posted By: Squadron77

Re: Coon problems. - 11/14/18 12:38 PM

Boss Buck makes the shark teeth. I have never used them but like you I have a coon problem. I'm going to set traps next week while I'm off and take a few out.

https://www.amazon.com/Boss-Buck-Deterrent-Strips-Silver/dp/B0046UDJDU
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: Coon problems. - 11/14/18 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by jdfarm23
Coons? Well raccoons tried to get in our back porch, mama just chase ‘em off with a broom

The only reason I clicked on this thread is because I was going to say that and you beat me to it lol
Posted By: BC

Re: Coon problems. - 11/14/18 03:14 PM

Kill them.
Posted By: jmudler

Re: Coon problems. - 11/14/18 03:49 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Runningdeer

Re: Coon problems. - 11/14/18 07:00 PM

Use vaseline generously on the legs or crisco shortening. Make sure there are no overhead trees or limbs for them to climb and hop down on top of the feeder.
Posted By: mickyblues

Re: Coon problems. - 11/14/18 07:55 PM

invite one of your local coon hunters to come in and hunt them about once a month and you can get rid of them pretty quick. Find a coon hunter that really loves the sport of coon hunting and they will treat you and your land with respect. I live in Eufaula AL. and I use to get invited to a place in Brewton Al. and we would hunt all night once a month. I haven't been back in about a year now because the coon population is still way down.
Posted By: jdfarm23

Re: Coon problems. - 11/14/18 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Coosa1
Originally Posted by jdfarm23

The only reason I clicked on this thread is because I was going to say that and you beat me to it lol

Haha. I’m sorry I stole your thunder, it was just too good to pass up
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Coon problems. - 11/15/18 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by L8hnter
Sounds like a great idea but quite expensive.

$80
Posted By: Out back

Re: Coon problems. - 11/15/18 02:00 AM

I have a simple solution. Don't bait.
No bait, no coon problem. Simple.
Posted By: Cutover

Re: Coon problems. - 11/15/18 09:04 AM

Anyone come up with a ingenious way to stop the coons from climbing legs and spinning your feeder empty. The so called varmint cage doesn't work. Thinking maybe metal cones on the legs that they can't get around. Even thought two litre bottles turned as cones. Hit me with the fix guys. These bastards have emptied 2 that should have lasted til February.

Try carpet strips and attach with zip ties. I am currently using this method and on the last card pull there were zero coons trying to climb the legs after a few got sore feet. Also, I had considered trying Vaseline but was afraid the cold would freeze up.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Coon problems. - 11/15/18 01:38 PM

Curious how carpet strips will make their feet sore? I would have thought carpet would make it easier for them to climb.
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: Coon problems. - 11/15/18 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by blumsden
Curious how carpet strips will make their feet sore? I would have thought carpet would make it easier for them to climb.

I'm guessing you haven't laid much carpet

Re: Coon problems. - 11/15/18 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by blumsden

The nail strips. Not actual strips of carpet.
Posted By: BC

Re: Coon problems. - 11/15/18 05:12 PM

I had a friend tell me this was pretty effective.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Blue

Re: Coon problems. - 11/17/18 12:02 PM

Grease up legs with vaseline and sprinkle cayenne pepper on them. That's what we do and they will leave it alone
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: Coon problems. - 11/18/18 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by BC

[Linked Image]

Easy there. Careful with this

Re: Coon problems. - 11/20/18 07:06 PM

Who's baiting. It's supplemental feeding.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Coon problems. - 11/21/18 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by jmudler
[Linked Image]

This man has the right idee.
Posted By: PaintRock0

Re: Coon problems. - 11/21/18 02:14 AM

like 991 said be careful with golden marlin. what ever eats it will die. Grapaco drink works well with it.

Re: Coon problems. - 11/21/18 08:37 AM

Who's baiting. It's supplemental feeding.

OH okay, in that case you're supplemental feed is beneficial to all wildlife, not just one particular game animal. Coons are wildlife too, so there's no problem. See, problem solved. Simple. thumbup
Posted By: lectrode

Re: Coon problems. - 11/22/18 02:59 AM

Yep, get non scented vaseline and grease the top third of the leg. Pretty damn funny to watch
Posted By: willdo22

Re: Coon problems. - 11/25/18 05:45 PM

https://silencerco.com/silencers/hybrid/
Posted By: James

Re: Coon problems. - 11/25/18 07:52 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GKelly

Re: Coon problems. - 12/04/18 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by BC

[Linked Image]

this make a platform to mount up high enough on a tree deer cant lick it up and attach a cakepan with a rubber washer so it dont leak put a cup of golden malrin and 1 can of grape soda theyll die within 20 yards. screw trapping them takes to much time then u gotta empty and reset this will get them all in a few days.ive heard an old lock on with a piece of plywood attached works great and is easy to relocate or so ive heard...
Posted By: ParrotHead89

Re: Coon problems. - 12/07/18 12:11 PM

I just go about 2 table spoons per can. Make sure you use a bowl they cant tip over. I have found them with their head in bowl dead. Got 24 in 2 weeks couple years ago by my chicken coop
Posted By: baitstop

Re: Coon problems. - 12/13/18 02:28 AM

GW informed my buddy that each pan carried a very stiff fine on the blue juice..
Posted By: lefthorn

Re: Coon problems. - 12/13/18 02:52 AM

Golden Malrin story. My mom and dad live on the coast and we go down there for 4th of July fairly often. One year the flies around the shrimp boil and shells were bad so dad set out a plate with some on it. We forgot about it and left the plate out all night. Woke up the next morning and there was a coon dead as a hammer halfway falling off the table. Looked like he had a really ad night(which I guess he did). We learned that night that stuff is dangerous

Re: Coon problems. - 12/13/18 07:43 PM

I sure hope anyone that puts out any poison to kill wild life gets caught. there are legal ways to control them.
Posted By: GKelly

Re: Coon problems. - 12/13/18 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by mickyblues
I sure hope anyone that puts out any poison to kill wild life gets caught. there are legal ways to control them.

malrin kills them in a few minutes they'll all die within sight of it. but you are right it's probably more humane to break their leg in a trap let them sit there for a day or two then bash their brains in with a baseball bat if it ain't it sure is alot more fun and at least it's legal.
Posted By: JohnG

Re: Coon problems. - 12/13/18 10:30 PM

I thought lefthorn's post was going to be about a pet at first.

Re: Coon problems. - 12/14/18 02:10 PM

poison is illegal I don't care how quick it kills them it is breaking the law. you don't have to us a trap, let a coon hunter get them. that's know different then a deer hunter killing a deer. Deer hunters kill for food or sport (trophy) coon hunters are the same way.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Coon problems. - 12/15/18 12:07 AM

Coon hunters always wanta "save some for seed" , they won't get rough on them.
Posted By: WARPhEAGLE

Re: Coon problems. - 01/30/19 03:04 AM

I tried lots of duct tape with thumbtacks on my bird feeder pole. The internet said it would work. The internet was wrong.
I then starting using dog proof traps. That did work. I had a lot of fun with them. My first real trapping experience. I've since bought other traps for coyotes and stuff.
Posted By: sumpter_al

Re: Coon problems. - 04/06/19 08:11 PM

We have one that has 1" expanded metal around the base. It is far enough away from the spinner that the coons arm cant reach it. The corn comes through the 1" fine.

Coons can climb all over it but eventually leave it alone because they cant turn the spinner. I had a 3 second game cam video that one was hanging on the feeder when it went off. Was funny.
Posted By: dagwood

Re: Coon problems. - 04/06/19 08:47 PM

Buy 3 slinkeys and attach to the top of each leg. If anyone tries this and it works please report back. Oh, you young folks probably don't know what a slinkey is so you'll have to google it
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Coon problems. - 04/06/19 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by mickyblues
poison is illegal I don't care how quick it kills them it is breaking the law. you don't have to us a trap, let a coon hunter get them. that's know different then a deer hunter killing a deer. Deer hunters kill for food or sport (trophy) coon hunters are the same way.

You may just be in the wrong place if killing animals bothers you. Dead is dead. We enjoy killing animals around here. If another animal interferes with us killing the animals we want to kill, we kill that animal too. The man asked for advise how to get rid of coons, advise was given, coons will die because of this thread. The world will be a better place and maybe theres a hen turkey somewhere that can sit on her nest in peace.
Posted By: dagwood

Re: Coon problems. - 04/07/19 03:46 PM

Do they make non scented vaseline? How about just using corn oil on the legs.
Posted By: sanderson

Re: Coon problems. - 04/10/19 01:50 PM

Anybody ever made a hog-style trap for coins? Seems like it would work good to put a dent in them quick
© 2024 ALDEER.COM