Aldeer.com

Flintlock question?

Posted By: Forrestgump1

Flintlock question? - 12/15/22 04:25 AM

I’ve been seriously looking at building a flintlock thanks to tree my dogs post on his public land doe. I’ve decided to go full traditional with the flintlock design. My question pertains to me shooting left handed, and it appears that just about everything I can find is right handed. Is that a big deal? Is it more difficult to grow accustomed to the flash shooting a right handed flint left handed? I’ve done a little research and seems to me that most people just deal with it. Thinking back to the old days, I’m sure that’s what they did. Anybody have any experience on the matter?
Posted By: 7x57_Mauser

Re: Flintlock question? - 12/15/22 03:24 PM

If it were me I would not want the flash pan next to my eyes, but I've seen many people do it at black powder shoots.

In addition to the flash pan, you also get hot gases coming out of the touch hole, especially if it's been enlarged or is worn out.

Another consideration is that most right hand kits will have "cast" aka "cast off" aka just a plain ole "bend in the stock" of about 1/8" - 1/4". Think of it as a dog leg. This *could* (not saying for sure will) complicate your sight picture and sight alignment a little bit. In longer stocks it may not be much of a problem and you can compensate. Effect is magnified in shorter stocks. This will complicate your sight picture and sight alignment a little bit.

The most important thing to me would be ability to get down on the comb of the rifle when shooting - cheek weld. If it was not enough, I guess you could fashion something cool out of leather to make up some space. Just morning ramblings. Glad you're interested in getting into flintlocks! It's a hell of a lot of fun.
Posted By: Sgiles

Re: Flintlock question? - 12/15/22 08:24 PM

Tennessee valley muzzleloader has left handed kits. I believe pedersoli sells left handed rifles,but since Italy stayed locked down during Covid it may be hard 5o find one in stock anywhere.
Posted By: treemydog

Re: Flintlock question? - 12/16/22 01:36 AM

He doesn't offer a left handed kit yet, but without a doubt, if you decide on a righty, I'd recommend one of Jim Kibler's models to put together. Give his website and youtube vids a look. Very good instructions and I put mine together on the kitchen table with just a few extra tools I got from the local hardware store.

Be careful.. its addictive. I am seriously thinking about putting one together each spring, hunting with it that winter, then selling it to get a new kit to put together the following spring.... making it a yearly tradition.
Posted By: smallgame

Re: Flintlock question? - 12/17/22 12:50 AM

you can just buy a stock blank and left hand lock and make your own also I shoot double barrel Flintlock and you don't notice the flash if you are focused on target
Posted By: Broadhead26

Re: Flintlock question? - 12/17/22 11:22 PM

I’m a lefty but shoot a righty flint lock.

I haven’t had any issues but 99% of the time I wear clear safety glasses when I fire it just in case.
Posted By: gcr0003

Re: Flintlock question? - 01/02/23 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Broadhead26
I’m a lefty but shoot a righty flint lock.

I haven’t had any issues but 99% of the time I wear clear safety glasses when I fire it just in case.

I had the same question and was thinking if I end up with a righty I’ll just wear safety glasses. Thanks!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM