Aldeer.com

Muzzleloader Newbie

Posted By: WGDfarm23

Muzzleloader Newbie - 04/05/22 06:32 PM

Looking at buying a .50 Cal Muzzleloader. Never owned a muzzleloader before but shot my buddies Knight 50 cal many of times.Wanting one that uses 209 primers and black powder sabots. Preferably one that is newer and easy to handle. Any suggestions on the best brand for an easy to shoot up to 100 yards and accurate 50 Cal that I don’t have to mix and measure powder?
Posted By: top cat

Re: Muzzleloader Newbie - 04/05/22 07:57 PM

CVA is a good gun and won't break the bank
Posted By: Darver540

Re: Muzzleloader Newbie - 04/05/22 09:32 PM

Just bought a cva optima v2 combo with scope from muzzleloaders.com and I dig it but can’t find any 209 primers!!!!
Posted By: CatHeadBiscuit

Re: Muzzleloader Newbie - 04/06/22 03:00 AM

PM to OP incoming

Re: Muzzleloader Newbie - 04/06/22 03:13 AM

Replied. Thanks for the info! Looks like I’m leaning towards CVA but not in any hurry right now so if you have an opinion I’d love to hear it
Posted By: Cuz-Pat

Re: Muzzleloader Newbie - 04/06/22 03:40 AM

I'm real fond of my Thomson Center Encore Endeavor .50 cal ML.

Might want to take a look at them.

I can shoot a 3 shot group from 100 yards that all touch each other, using Hornady SST 250 grain bullets and 110 grain of Blackhorn 209.

Love this rifle.
Posted By: Cousneddy

Re: Muzzleloader Newbie - 04/11/22 01:21 AM

Had a CVA Optima, then a CVA Apex. IMHO can't go wrong with the CVA, if shopping used look for a V2. The easy to remove breech plug is really nice. Plenty of good folks on here that will help you spend your money wisely!
Posted By: TDog93

Re: Muzzleloader Newbie - 04/13/22 12:12 AM

Heard good things about Thompson Center encore - what Cuz Pat says - impressive

I hav a knight and it been good for me
Posted By: thayerp81

Re: Muzzleloader Newbie - 04/13/22 09:43 PM

Encore is a great option, you can always swap to other calibers also. I'm also a big fan of the Knight rifles.
Posted By: Squadron77

Re: Muzzleloader Newbie - 04/14/22 08:57 PM

I bought an Optima and a Wolf last year and both are deadly. You can find your primers on muzzle-loaders.com but buy them now because they will be gone in a few months.
Posted By: ultratec00

Re: Muzzleloader Newbie - 04/15/22 01:59 PM

I recommend either CVA Accura or TC Encore. One requires no paperwork, the other does.

Re: Muzzleloader Newbie - 04/16/22 01:13 AM

Which one doesn’t require paperwork? I’ve been looking at the Accura LR and like it a lot
Posted By: Hunter454

Re: Muzzleloader Newbie - 04/27/22 01:51 AM

I like my knight ultra light.
Posted By: Stoney

Re: Muzzleloader Newbie - 04/27/22 02:22 PM

The Optima V2 from muzzleloaders.com with the scope and gun case is what I have and it is great. So easy to load and clean . A great value also

Re: Muzzleloader Newbie - 04/27/22 02:22 PM

The Optima V2 from muzzleloaders.com with the scope and gun case is what I have and it is great. So easy to load and clean . A great value also

Re: Muzzleloader Newbie - 04/28/22 01:53 AM

Does anyone own a CVA Accura by chance and have any input on it? Been looking at them and the V2 mainly.

Re: Muzzleloader Newbie - 04/28/22 02:31 PM

The CVA Optima V2 is a real good gun.
Posted By: Tree Dweller

Re: Muzzleloader Newbie - 04/28/22 03:21 PM

I'm not going back to Sabots.

Re: Muzzleloader Newbie - 04/28/22 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tree Dweller

Is this your mode of operation TD?

Powder, Spit patch, ball, half cock, cap, ready, full cock, aim, squeeze first tigger, hold, fire.
Or
Are a flinter?
Posted By: ultratec00

Re: Muzzleloader Newbie - 04/29/22 11:18 AM

The Encore will require paperwork if bought new, the CVA can be bought over counter/online/etc.

I have both. The Encore Prohunter has served me well and extremely accurate. Picked up an Accura PR in black nitride last year. Very good trigger and iI too is extremely accurate, shooting less than 1"@100 yards w/ blackhorn 209 and 200 gr shockwave.

Originally Posted by WGDfarm23

Which one doesn’t require paperwork? I’ve been looking at the Accura LR and like it a lot

Does anyone own a CVA Accura by chance and have any input on it? Been looking at them and the V2 mainly.

Posted By: Tree Dweller

Re: Muzzleloader Newbie - 04/29/22 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by CatHeadBiscuit
Originally Posted by Tree Dweller

Is this your mode of operation TD?

Powder, Spit patch, ball, half cock, cap, ready, full cock, aim, squeeze first tigger, hold, fire.
Or
Are a flinter?

[Linked Image]

I don't know about all their hype. I do know they fly nice out of my gun, and have one clean kill last year. "Skirt" "Gas Check", much easier than sabots. (250's)

Re: Muzzleloader Newbie - 04/30/22 03:31 AM

Oh yeah! I forgot about those. Some people rave about their results with power belts. Others not so much. I’ve yet to try them. It’s cap and ball mostly with an in-line of questionable safe use level it’s probably gonna stay that way.
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: Muzzleloader Newbie - 05/11/22 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by WGDfarm23

I have the accura v2 and really like it. Accurate and dependable. Probably the best, smoothest trigger of any gun I own
© 2024 ALDEER.COM