Aldeer.com

SMR Build Part 3

Posted By: treemydog

SMR Build Part 3 - 01/16/22 08:59 PM

Spent this snow day morning putting in some quality time on the southern mountain rifle. Man.... a solid 2.5 hours of slowly, deliberately working on getting all the hardware pinned to the stock. Whew... it was pretty draining. I felt like I've sat through the ACT twice back to back. The hardware when clamped on the stock has metal flanges that line up with pre-drilled holes in the stock. My job was to clamp the parts, then carefully drill the flanges through the pre-drilled hole to be able to gently insert pinning stock wire through the stock and metal flanges to hold it in place.
[Linked Image]

Trigger guard was first, then came the ramrod pipes and the barrel. It was slow and steady wins the race, for sure, but it all came together. I marked the flanges with everything clamped, then took the part out and completed drilling the hole to keep from wallowing out the hole in the stock. Here is a barrel underlug and I was testing the pinning stock through the hole before trying to assemble it.
[Linked Image]

Finally got it all drilled and wire cut and temporarily pinned together.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Still have to disassemble to finish the wood and metal parts, but I'm pretty happy how it all come together. When disassembled, i can shorten the pins to make them flush with the stock... but that's for another day. I'm going to sit back and enjoy some coffee for a while.
[Linked Image]

Posted By: top cat

Re: SMR Build Part 3 - 01/17/22 12:00 AM

Looking good 👍🏻
Posted By: BCLC

Re: SMR Build Part 3 - 01/17/22 05:45 PM

Absolutely fascinating. I’ve really enjoyed following this build
Posted By: woodsnwater

Re: SMR Build Part 3 - 01/19/22 06:51 PM

Wow, nice! What grade of maple is that?
Posted By: treemydog

Re: SMR Build Part 3 - 01/21/22 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by woodsnwater
Wow, nice! What grade of maple is that?

Its the standard grade Jim offers. I didn't want to spend the extra $ for the upgraded stock, being that this is my first build.
Posted By: woodsnwater

Re: SMR Build Part 3 - 01/24/22 05:33 PM

I took my Crockett 32 for a walk Saturday, not a squirrel in sight. Matter of fact I haven't seen one in the yard all weekend or here at work today. I think they're hibernating.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM