Aldeer.com

Bullets, bullets and bullets

Posted By: just_an_illusion

Bullets, bullets and bullets - 07/15/20 11:31 PM

Just bought a CVA Optima MR from wmd and started looking at supplies. I been out of the muzzleloader game for a long time, what bullets have y'all found to be accurate and have the best performance on deer. In the past I tried Power Belt Aerotips, some TC SST/sabots and some 44 cal XTP/sabots with 777 pellets and some Jim Shockey Gold ffg. What's y'alls likes and dislikes?
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Bullets, bullets and bullets - 07/16/20 12:47 AM

Barnes MZ Expanders is all I've shot since the 90s. You can look thru the threads in here and read other's posts in agreement.
Posted By: Holcomb

Re: Bullets, bullets and bullets - 07/16/20 12:27 PM

I get really good groups out of the XTP's, but have some concerns over them that may lead to me trying another bullet this year. I shot a doe a couple of years ago at about 125yds using a 240gr XTP and 2 777 pellets. She was DRT. Buddy of mine shot a doe last year with the same set up at about 50 yds, and she only went about 40 yds into some thick brush, but we never found a drop of blood from her. Both resulted in recoveries but not having a blood trail tends to make me a little nervous.
Posted By: 7x57_Mauser

Re: Bullets, bullets and bullets - 07/16/20 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Wiley Coyote
Barnes MZ Expanders is all I've shot since the 90s. You can look thru the threads in here and read other's posts in agreement.

Same here. All the deer I've shot have been pass throughs and left buckets of blood behind if they weren't DRT. My gunsmith reamed the first inch or so of my barrel so they're easier to load. Accuracy has been outstanding.
Posted By: thayerp81

Re: Bullets, bullets and bullets - 07/16/20 04:42 PM

I’ve found the most consistently accurate projectiles to be crusher rib sabot’s with XTP bullets, also if you’re a DIY’er Lee REAL bullets are also great
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Bullets, bullets and bullets - 07/16/20 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Holcomb
I get really good groups out of the XTP's, but have some concerns over them that may lead to me trying another bullet this year. I shot a doe a couple of years ago at about 125yds using a 240gr XTP and 2 777 pellets. She was DRT. Buddy of mine shot a doe last year with the same set up at about 50 yds, and she only went about 40 yds into some thick brush, but we never found a drop of blood from her. Both resulted in recoveries but not having a blood trail tends to make me a little nervous.

You only have to try Barnes once to get beyond all that.
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: Bullets, bullets and bullets - 08/04/20 06:47 PM

The Harvester Scorpion 300 grain with the crush rib washer is all I shoot
Posted By: garyo

Re: Bullets, bullets and bullets - 08/07/20 03:25 PM

have a cva optima, useing hornady 250sst and 250 monflex blackhorn 209 load scale weight 80grains 1940 fps trip 7 scale weight 78 grains 1920 fps
100 yards good tite groups, my target 50 to 75 yard woody areas.monoflex is more accur, slightly longer no lead.
Posted By: Cousneddy

Re: Bullets, bullets and bullets - 08/19/20 01:03 AM

I have always enjoyed trying different bullets, but have killed enough deer with the XTP to have complete confidence in it. Just remember there are two version of the XTP, one meant for higher velocities. I really haven't found a bullet that has been a failure, I went 5 for 5 one season shooting powerbelts. As hard as this may be to believe, a patched round ball will kill a deer just fine. I believe the key is matching the velocity of your load with the design of the bullet and making a clean accurate shot. I carried Harvester Scorpions last season but my fall kept me from using it on a deer.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM