Aldeer.com

Any traditional black powder shooters?

Posted By: 7x57_Mauser

Any traditional black powder shooters? - 05/31/18 10:43 PM

Hey all,

Just wondering if there are any traditional black powder shooters here? I'm talking flintlock or percussion (I have nothing against in-line, have one myself). If there is anyone around Birmingham that likes to shoot black powder let me know.

Best,
Dave
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Any traditional black powder shooters? - 05/31/18 11:51 PM

I have a Lyman Great Plains in .50, haven't shot it in a while. I killed a lot of deer with a .54 bbl on it years ago.
Posted By: Sgiles

Re: Any traditional black powder shooters? - 06/01/18 01:29 AM

I have a TC Hawken I'll be using this season. 50 round ball and real black. I owned a 54 Lyman trade rifle but it got recalled so I picked up the TC. I'd like to pick up a smoothbore flinter next but it may take awhile since I'd like to upgrade to a semi custom rifle. It can be addicting.
Posted By: Stob

Re: Any traditional black powder shooters? - 06/01/18 02:18 AM

I have .45 and .50 TC Hawken's, the 50 with a Green Mtn. conical barrel.
That Mon-Fri. 5 day Muzzy season is bout worthless.
Posted By: CAM

Re: Any traditional black powder shooters? - 06/01/18 03:27 PM

I have a TC Hawken percussion and 2 Flintlocks, a CVA St Louis Hawken and a TC Firestorm. I also have a TC Encore that I have a .243 and 50 cal barrels. I hunted with the percussion Hawken last year instead of changing the barrel on the Encore. The season was so short that I didn't want to change barrels and check the scope on the Encore.

Re: Any traditional black powder shooters? - 06/02/18 08:41 PM

Where are y'all getting your black powder from if you're in the Birmingham area?
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Any traditional black powder shooters? - 06/04/18 10:17 PM

I've got a TC Hawken and a couple shotguns I shoot occasionally. Most of the time I mess with a 209x50 just because it is easier to clean up the aftermath shooting Blackhorn and it shoots ridiculously good.
Posted By: Stob

Re: Any traditional black powder shooters? - 06/05/18 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Goatkiller
I've got a TC Hawken and a couple shotguns I shoot occasionally. Most of the time I mess with a 209x50 just because it is easier to clean up the aftermath shooting Blackhorn and it shoots ridiculously good.

Those inlines are worth it just for the convenience of cleaning.
Posted By: DEADorALIVE

Re: Any traditional black powder shooters? - 06/09/18 11:13 PM

Gave my inline to 'Huntress, and I've got 3 sidelocks, all .50's.
Posted By: boker

Re: Any traditional black powder shooters? - 06/10/18 02:21 AM

You still have the cva Hawkins?

Re: Any traditional black powder shooters? - 06/11/18 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Stob
Originally Posted by Goatkiller

Those inlines are worth it just for the convenience of cleaning.

Yeah, the flintlocks take a bit more effort to get cleaned but they sure are fun when you pull one out at the range!

Re: Any traditional black powder shooters? - 06/17/18 08:27 PM

Yeah...still got it.
Posted By: boker

Re: Any traditional black powder shooters? - 06/18/18 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by DEADorALIVE
Yeah...still got it.
you ever hunt with it?

Re: Any traditional black powder shooters? - 06/21/18 09:55 PM

I have an old Traditions sidelock that I usually hunt with...it's more of a rough & tumble gun, so it ain't as pretty! smile
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Any traditional black powder shooters? - 06/22/18 02:28 PM

I'll go shoot with any of you guys whenever you want I've got more round balls than I know what to do with I've even been melting them back down into bars. The deal is you've got to clean my rifle when we are done that's why I don't shoot it. Hate cleaning it!
Posted By: znrichie

Re: Any traditional black powder shooters? - 08/08/18 01:26 AM

I hunt with a cva flintlock on wheeler refuge every year. Have killed a couple deer and pigs with it. I love them!

Re: Any traditional black powder shooters? - 08/15/18 11:45 PM

Goatkiller, give me a PM and I'll hit you up the next time I head out to FOP. I think I can bring a guest
Posted By: Hayzeus

Re: Any traditional black powder shooters? - 08/28/18 08:25 PM

I have a 45 caliber flintlock Southern Mountain Rifle that I assembled from a Jim Kibler kit. It's the only gun I've hunted with the past 2 years.
Posted By: CatHeadBiscuit

Re: Any traditional black powder shooters? - 11/20/18 07:53 PM

I just picked up a used CVA no frills perfusion and plan to go to the Cahaba WMA range in the next couple weeks and shoot it to see if I can hit anything intentionally with it. Big learning curve coming. Spent two hours last night cleaning it up.
Posted By: CatHeadBiscuit

Re: Any traditional black powder shooters? - 11/24/18 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by CatHeadBiscuit
I just picked up a used CVA no frills perfusion and plan to go to the Cahaba WMA range in the next couple weeks and shoot it to see if I can hit anything intentionally with it. Big learning curve coming. Spent two hours last night cleaning it up.

Perfusion is the passage of fluid through the circulatory system or lymphatic system to an organ or a tissue, usually referring to the delivery of blood to a capillary bed in tissue.

Percussion is the striking of one solid object with or against another with some degree of force.
Man the concussion caused by one f’n letter.
Posted By: treemydog

Re: Any traditional black powder shooters? - 02/19/19 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Hayzeus
I have a 45 caliber flintlock Southern Mountain Rifle that I assembled from a Jim Kibler kit. It's the only gun I've hunted with the past 2 years.

PM to you Hayzeus...
© 2024 ALDEER.COM