Aldeer.com

Recommend a muzzle loader.

Posted By: Rmart30

Recommend a muzzle loader. - 07/24/16 09:20 PM

Been thinking about a muzzle loader.

The CVA's have caught my attention. Particularly the Optima for $250, or the Wolf for $200.

Any input on these?
Posted By: Teacher One

Re: Recommend a muzzle loader. - 07/25/16 01:43 PM

Buy a TC Omega. They run about the same on price but the Omega is one of the best MLs made.
Posted By: Displaced Texan 01

Re: Recommend a muzzle loader. - 07/26/16 03:44 PM

I have a TC Omega & use Blackhorn 209 powder. It works great

Re: Recommend a muzzle loader. - 07/26/16 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Displaced Texan 01
I have a TC Omega & use Blackhorn 209 powder. It works great

X2

I bought the Omega so I could shoot the Blackhorn powder in it. I have a Knight MK 85 I bought new that is not designed to shoot the BH powder in so I bought the Omega. At 100 yards both the Knight and the Omega will shoot with enough accuracy to amaze me. One inch groups at 100 yards are common. I topped my Omega with a Zeiss Davarti and it is a killing machine. I know it is an expensive package the way mine is sat up, but it is the last one I will ever have to buy.
Posted By: AC870

Re: Recommend a muzzle loader. - 07/27/16 10:27 PM

I got the Optima pistol and that speed breech is easiest thing to.clean I ever seen. I owned T/C traditional sidelock ML and the older Remington 700 ML previously. If they're very accurate at all I'd think the Wolf is a tremendous bargain. I've thought of buying one myself.
Posted By: wmd

Re: Recommend a muzzle loader. - 07/28/16 08:06 PM

I third the Omega. I want one of the stainless, thumbhole stock ones but they are hard to find. It is a shame that TC quit making them.
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Recommend a muzzle loader. - 07/29/16 06:05 PM

My son has the Optima Pro Magnum in stainless and it's a breeze to clean.
Posted By: .308

Re: Recommend a muzzle loader. - 07/30/16 04:21 AM

Me & my dad both have the wolf, shoots great & kills deer. For an extra $50, the Optima feels better in the hands.
Posted By: .308

Re: Recommend a muzzle loader. - 07/30/16 04:22 AM

Invest in the Blackhorn powder, easy stuff to clean.

Re: Recommend a muzzle loader. - 07/30/16 11:26 AM

Originally Posted By: wmd
I third the Omega. I want one of the stainless, thumbhole stock ones but they are hard to find. It is a shame that TC quit making them.

That is exactly what mine is. Thumbhole stock is beautiful and the silver Zeiss matches the stainless perfectly. It is the nicest gun that I own. I have had several offers on it, but I have turned them all down. I turned down 800.00 for the gun last year and was told I was a fool for not selling. Problem is I can't replace it for that offer.
Posted By: Claims Rep.

Re: Recommend a muzzle loader. - 08/03/16 10:22 PM

For me it's a TC Encore, shooting 130 grains of BH209, and topped with a Vortex Viper 3.5x10x50mm. It's a tack driver and I've never had a deer go more than 30 yards using this ML. thumbup

Posted By: mrfuzz

Re: Recommend a muzzle loader. - 08/04/16 01:42 PM

What ever you decide to get, you'll either love it or hate it.
I love mine! The first time I made smoke with mine, I lit up like a kid at Christmas and told my wife "That's the shucks!"
I have found myself carrying my ML more and more.
Good luck.
Posted By: trlrdrdave

Re: Recommend a muzzle loader. - 08/04/16 02:09 PM

Me too mrfuzz. Now I got to kill something with my flintlock besides pigs and yotes. But that was fun too.
Posted By: LUMPY

Re: Recommend a muzzle loader. - 08/11/16 02:48 PM

get you a smokeless savage
Posted By: Hunter454

Re: Recommend a muzzle loader. - 08/19/16 11:13 PM

I have a Knight Ultra lite. I use 3 pellets of 50 grain pyrodex pellets. I use to have the Omega, but the Knight is 1 pound lighter. It also shoots better. You will carry it more than you shoot, also.
Posted By: Hunter454

Re: Recommend a muzzle loader. - 08/19/16 11:14 PM

I have a Knight Ultra lite. I use 3 pellets of 50 grain pyrodex pellets. I use to have the Omega, but the Knight is 1 pound lighter. It also shoots better. You will carry it more than you shoot, also.
Posted By: Gobl4me

Re: Recommend a muzzle loader. - 08/20/16 08:27 AM

Cva accura
Posted By: DEADorALIVE

Re: Recommend a muzzle loader. - 08/20/16 09:35 PM

Originally Posted By: mrfuzz
What ever you decide to get, you'll either love it or hate it.
I love mine! The first time I made smoke with mine, I lit up like a kid at Christmas and told my wife "That's the shucks!"
I have found myself carrying my ML more and more.
Good luck.

Same here! I don't get to go much, the past few years, but everytime I've gone, I carried a Hawken.
Posted By: DEADorALIVE

Re: Recommend a muzzle loader. - 08/26/16 01:34 AM

I had a CVA Optima Pro in nkl/blk...enjoyed shooting it, but my preference has since migrated to sidelocks. Now I've got 3 Hawkens that I like, and gave the Optima to 'Huntress. The Hawken is a little harder to clean, but I just enjoy the more traditional sidelock a little more than I did the inline.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM