Aldeer.com

need some help

Posted By: dnolen

need some help - 08/20/14 10:59 PM

Has any one had problems reloading remington brass? When we resize the brass it buckles at the shoulder. But we van take Hornady and not change anything and does fine. When you mic the shoulders theirs about a .002 difference and you can not close the bolt. How do I fix this?
Posted By: nitroexpress

Re: need some help - 08/21/14 09:21 AM

Well lets get some more info.
1. Where did remington brass come from?
2. Is the brass new or already fired, and if fired, was it fired in your gun or someone elses.
3. In what manner are u lubricating the brass.
4. Most important..........have you measured the length of the brass before you try to resize the brass. If for some reason the case length of the brass is to long you might crush it in the die.

Any images of the crushed cases. That could help identify what the issue is.

Check length of cases, trim to manufacture specifications for case length if needed and then proceed as usual.
Posted By: Dixiepatriot

Re: need some help - 08/21/14 07:52 PM

Try using less lube.
Posted By: longshot

Re: need some help - 08/21/14 09:52 PM

I've used alot of Remington brass. Never had a problem with it. Now Hornady brass is a different story.
Is it just a dent on the shoulder or is it crushed down? A dent on the shoulder is too much lube. If it's crushing the brass down, your die is not setup right

Re: need some help - 08/21/14 10:41 PM

I will get some pics up. They were shot in a different gun. Out of a auto. The brass is bulging at the base of the shoulder. Is it possible the brass swelled to much ?
Posted By: pop_a_cap

Re: need some help - 08/22/14 06:16 AM

What caliber, not that it matters with your problem but I'm curious. My guess is 223/5.56 or 308?
Posted By: dave260rem!

Re: need some help - 08/22/14 02:15 PM

If a semi,use small base dies.
Posted By: jacannon

Re: need some help - 08/22/14 02:52 PM

I would guess that the Remington brass came from a rifle with a sloppy chamber.

Re: need some help - 08/22/14 09:28 PM

Its a 30-06
Posted By: longshot

Re: need some help - 08/22/14 11:21 PM

Back the die out 1 full round then try it
Posted By: pop_a_cap

Re: need some help - 08/23/14 08:56 AM

how are you setting your die up?
are you raising the ram then screwing the die down to meet the shell holder then back up 1/4 to 1 turn?

Have the dies you are currently using been used before with no issues?

If you had a way to measure your shoulder bump that would help you set up your dies but not absolutely necessary.
Posted By: riflenut

Re: need some help - 08/23/14 11:03 AM

Most folks follow the instructions in dies that say to screw in until it touches the shell holder and then another 1/8 - 1/4 turn. This assumes chamber is cut to perfect SAAMI specs which many are not. Try screwing die in until it touches shell holder and then back out 1 turn. Size a case, chamber and close bolt. If bolt won't close, screw die in 1/8 turn, size and chamber. Repeat until bolt closes.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM