Aldeer.com

Pulling Bullets

Posted By: Standbanger

Pulling Bullets - 10/22/23 01:47 PM

I have a grip and pull. It leaves marks/scratches on the bullet. What method are you fellows using ?
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: Pulling Bullets - 10/22/23 02:56 PM

Theres really not many choices when it comes to this
The G&P and inertia pullers are about all I know of
Posted By: Dixiepatriot

Re: Pulling Bullets - 10/22/23 04:11 PM

I have An RCBS inertia puller. You need a solid piece of oak to whoop it against because it takes quite a lick.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Pulling Bullets - 10/22/23 04:35 PM

Inertia puller works. Concrete floor is your friend.

Stuff a cleaning patch in it and save bullet tips.
Posted By: Lockjaw

Re: Pulling Bullets - 10/23/23 03:41 PM

I have a hand held gripper that works pretty good, as long as you don't have a bullet that is super sleek. For example, it won't effectively grab a remington accutip in 270 or 7-08.
Posted By: trailertrash

Re: Pulling Bullets - 10/23/23 09:38 PM

I use the hammer type inertia pullers. Mine has a rubber pad in it to protect bullet tips. If it doesn't do what 338 does and add one. I actually made a heavy stand made from dried scrap oak just to smack it on so I don't have to use the floor and get it up to a better working level for bad back folks like me.
Posted By: cartervj

Re: Pulling Bullets - 10/24/23 12:47 AM

I dented my reloading bench trying to get the stw round to let loose its bullet.
Posted By: Oscarflytyer

Re: Pulling Bullets - 10/24/23 08:10 PM

Finally upgraded the hammer (inertia) to die and collet. RCBS. Was pulling lead, so yeah, marked, Not tried on FMJs. But for 3-400 bullets, collet beats the snot outta the hammer!
Posted By: roadkill

Re: Pulling Bullets - 10/25/23 09:58 AM

If you will break the seal of bullet to case first they will come out much easier. I use a small vise for this when pulling FMJ bullets. I have an old solid brick I use for the pullet impact striking point.
Posted By: Standbanger

Re: Pulling Bullets - 10/25/23 08:14 PM

Thanks y’all.
Posted By: Butchman205

Re: Pulling Bullets - 10/26/23 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by roadkill
If you will break the seal of bullet to case first they will come out much easier. I use a small vise for this when pulling FMJ bullets. I have an old solid brick I use for the pullet impact striking point.

☝️this!
Posted By: stoolshooter

Re: Pulling Bullets - 10/28/23 05:09 PM

I use the old Foresters and rcbs collet pullers with no issues but I use bushing dies and load with light to medium tension
Posted By: Reloader79

Re: Pulling Bullets - 11/06/23 12:06 AM

Rcbs collet puller, that’s all, the hammers are useless imo.
Posted By: 1bamashooter

Re: Pulling Bullets - 11/06/23 12:23 AM

Uses both and both work as designed I prefer inertia pullers for light neck tension
Posted By: dave260rem!

Re: Pulling Bullets - 11/06/23 01:48 AM

Top tip use half to 3/4 swing power with inertia hammer types I prefer wood to concrete to cushion the blow a bit. Cussing seems to help too.
Posted By: Oscarflytyer

Re: Pulling Bullets - 12/02/23 01:29 AM

Have inertia and collet. Collet HANDS DOWN. The minor marks aren't going to matter with a hunting bullet or paper puncher.
Posted By: brassmagnet

Re: Pulling Bullets - 12/14/23 10:12 AM

I have the Lyman hammer and I put a foam ear plug or two to protect the bullet nose, have a piece of pear tree trunk on the hearth to pound on. Therapy when
i need to hit something!! Works for me.
Posted By: murf205

Re: Pulling Bullets - 01/06/24 06:01 PM

The inertia pullers work just fine with a shell holder of the appropriate size for the ammo being pulled. My best luck is to seat the bullet 3 or 4 thousands deeper to break the grip and use a pair of wire strippers to grip the bullet. Like Oscarflytyer said. the little marks dont affect the bullets performance. Just run the loaded cartridge up into the threaded die hole on the press until the bullet is above the frame and gently grip it with the teeth of the wire stripper and withdraw the ram.
Posted By: Hammertime7v2

Re: Pulling Bullets - 01/07/24 12:57 AM

I've not tried an inertia puller, but I have a Hornady collet on station 4 of my Dillon. I mainly use it when changing seating depth and it's just easier/faster for me.

I was putting big marks in bullets before I really figured out how much pressure I needed. I do better with it now.
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: Pulling Bullets - 01/07/24 07:59 PM

I ordered the RCBS collet puller. I have 100 rounds of PPU hollow point rounds for my Grendel that I bought during the shortage. I want to pull the bullets, dump the powder and use the primed brass to load a good hunting bullet like, Barnes, Interbond, Speer, or Hornady Interlock. I’ve been researching loads and haven’t decided on one yet. I’m not going to derail this thread so I’ll start a load data thread later.
Posted By: Butchman205

Re: Pulling Bullets - 01/11/24 09:26 PM

I do LOVE a collet puller. Several years ago a guy was selling out and had accumulated many many sizes. If you take your time, they are VERY good.
For an FYI, if you can “break the seal” by pushing a bullet into the cartridge a tad without damaging bullet nose, then they pull much easier.
Posted By: 3% outdoorsman

Re: Pulling Bullets - 01/16/24 04:12 AM

I hardly ever use mine.pull a few bullets if I discovered I reached max then reuse those bullets for foulers/sighters.
Posted By: Gav-n-Tn

Re: Pulling Bullets - 02/07/24 05:47 PM

I have the RCBS collet puller and the collets for what I currently might need. I don’t think it’s the best choice for cast according to RCBS. All I have in line to pull down is som 348 Win for donor cases to reform into 45-75 Win. I don’t own an inertia puller but I know they have their place.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM