Aldeer.com

Powder Scale Finicky

Posted By: Hammertime7v2

Powder Scale Finicky - 04/09/23 04:19 AM

Another issue I ran into today was with my Lyman powder Scale.

I wanted my charge weight to be consistent at 37.6gr of H4350, but kept running into some issues between my powder trickler and scale keeping zero-tare.

First, I would dump a charge and empty it into the tray and use a powder trickler to add the last few 0.1's of a grain into it. What I found is that when I used the powder.trickler slow and steady, the weight wouldn't change. But then, I'd pick up the powder tray and reset it on the scale and it would be 1-2 grains too heavy all of the sudden. Best I could figure was that the small incrental additions were too small to register, but when I reset the whole tray it was able to ready the whole new weight correctly. Which, if this is the case, what is the point of a powder trickler?

Whenever this happened, it seemed like my scale would lose its zero altogether, but that Lyman 1500 microtouch would periodically lose zero for seemingly no reason.

I did the calibration steps when I turned it on but I frequently had to keep rezeroing and check weighing every round...gets annoying when this thing is supposed to be accurate to within 0.1 grains.

Anyone have any suggestions or faced this issue before?
Posted By: k bush

Re: Powder Scale Finicky - 04/09/23 08:58 AM

Possibly a voltage issue. Recently read about using either a uninterrupted power supply or some other device to “regulate “ the power supply. If I can find it again I will link it. Google probably has the answer
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Powder Scale Finicky - 04/09/23 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Hammertime7v2
Another issue I ran into today was with my Lyman powder Scale.

I wanted my charge weight to be consistent at 37.6gr of H4350, but kept running into some issues between my powder trickler and scale keeping zero-tare.

First, I would dump a charge and empty it into the tray and use a powder trickler to add the last few 0.1's of a grain into it. What I found is that when I used the powder.trickler slow and steady, the weight wouldn't change. But then, I'd pick up the powder tray and reset it on the scale and it would be 1-2 grains too heavy all of the sudden. Best I could figure was that the small incrental additions were too small to register, but when I reset the whole tray it was able to ready the whole new weight correctly. Which, if this is the case, what is the point of a powder trickler?

Whenever this happened, it seemed like my scale would lose its zero altogether, but that Lyman 1500 microtouch would periodically lose zero for seemingly no reason.

I did the calibration steps when I turned it on but I frequently had to keep rezeroing and check weighing every round...gets annoying when this thing is supposed to be accurate to within 0.1 grains.

Anyone have any suggestions or faced this issue before?

Had a lyman scale years ago with same issues. Too many issues to trust it.

Got rid of it.

Re: Powder Scale Finicky - 04/09/23 12:28 PM

What did you replace it with? If the same issue persists even when using the cord and plugging into the outlet than I'm going to switch it up.

Re: Powder Scale Finicky - 04/09/23 12:42 PM

Went back to balance beam scale for a couple years then I bought a RCBS chargemaster
Posted By: riflenut

Re: Powder Scale Finicky - 04/09/23 01:11 PM

How do you like the chargemaster? I use a balance beam because of issues I've heard with various digitals.

Re: Powder Scale Finicky - 04/09/23 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by riflenut
How do you like the chargemaster? I use a balance beam because of issues I've heard with various digitals.

It's been great. Just make sure you use it in a controlled environment without fans. My loading room is a conditioned room off my garage but sometimes I like to open the garage door and the door to my room when the weather is nice. Tried it while using the Chargemaster and it had issues with under/over throws. Closed the door and worked just fine.
Posted By: riflenut

Re: Powder Scale Finicky - 04/09/23 02:25 PM

Fantastic, I may go in that direction
Posted By: dave260rem!

Re: Powder Scale Finicky - 04/09/23 05:55 PM

Before I bought Dillon I used a Lyman Orange crush press Hornady scale and Rcbs trimmer. So I was multicolored before it was cool. Then I got my Blueness on.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Powder Scale Finicky - 04/09/23 05:58 PM

I couldn’t stand the slowness and inconsistency of a balance beam scale. I bought a Chargemaster and have been happy ever since.

Re: Powder Scale Finicky - 04/09/23 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by N2TRKYS
I couldn’t stand the slowness and inconsistency of a balance beam scale. I bought a Chargemaster and have been happy ever since.

Which chargemaster did y'all get? I see three models/tiers available. I'm a winning lottery ticket available from getting the $900 model, so probably looking more towards the mid-tier if the features are worth the $$$.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Powder Scale Finicky - 04/09/23 11:32 PM

Which chargemaster did y'all get? I see three models/tiers available. I'm a winning lottery ticket available from getting the $900 model, so probably looking more towards the mid-tier if the features are worth the $$$.

Mine is the 1500 combo. I don’t know if they even offer that one anymore.
Posted By: johnmcgowan

Re: Powder Scale Finicky - 04/10/23 12:12 AM

Pony up for that charge master and you will be a happy camper. I have the 1500 and really like it
Posted By: thayerp81

Re: Powder Scale Finicky - 04/10/23 01:50 AM

The only thing I implicitly trust is my rcbs balance beam and I will always keep one around to verify anytime I’m not 100% on another scale. After watching some of the reviews I was really impressed by the performance of the frankfort arsenal intellidropper (I had my eye on an rcbs chargemaster initially) but it’s been an amazing machine and been dead nuts accurate and very fast when you calibrate it for the powder being used.
Posted By: Butchman205

Re: Powder Scale Finicky - 04/10/23 04:48 AM

I’ve had problems with several electric powder measures.
After trying the let them warm up, control air movement nearby, etc…I finally settled on setting them so they throw as close as possible by short by a tad. Then I tap on the powder measure with a light pencil or pen until it hits the sweet spot. Works fairly quickly, and VERY accurate.

Re: Powder Scale Finicky - 04/10/23 01:48 PM

Mine is the older 1500 model which is discontinued. Don't waste money on the $900 model, get a Chargemaster Link model which sells for around $300.
Posted By: Uokman2014

Re: Powder Scale Finicky - 05/03/23 02:24 AM

I've heard that fluorescent lights can cause issues with electronic scales.
Posted By: 3% outdoorsman

Re: Powder Scale Finicky - 05/08/23 11:40 PM

Buy a tuned beam scale from Scott Parker on accurate shooter forum.
You can send yours but it will take a long time to get it back.you can tune it yourself
Need checkweights and follow folks instructions on tuning beam scales.
I have a tuned Redding that reads to the kernel of powder.
Low sd es very easy without buying a auto trickler
© 2024 ALDEER.COM