Aldeer.com

Small rifle magnum primers

Posted By: birdcarver

Small rifle magnum primers - 01/18/23 06:04 PM

Anyone use them in 223 and if so what powder and charge
Posted By: trailertrash

Re: Small rifle magnum primers - 01/18/23 09:20 PM

I have used them in the past with H335. Can't remember the charge but I always backed up the starting/max charge by a grain to be safe. Seems like my best load was about 2 grains under listed max (with standard primers).
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Small rifle magnum primers - 01/18/23 09:39 PM

I use them with about 26 gr TAC under a 65 gr Sierra GK.

Re: Small rifle magnum primers - 01/18/23 11:27 PM

I have 4 pounds of TAC will work up a load using 55 gr poured lead powder coated

Re: Small rifle magnum primers - 01/18/23 11:54 PM

Let us know how it works. I've heard powder coat can go pretty fast but curious if the lead itself can handle that kind of speed and not just strip off in the rifling due to it's relative softness.

Re: Small rifle magnum primers - 01/19/23 12:41 AM

[Linked Image] This is powder coated bullets that have been beat with a hammer and the powder coat will not break , so the powder coat will not come off in your barrel ,going to work up a load and will relay results on here

Re: Small rifle magnum primers - 01/19/23 12:43 AM

Not going to shoot just lead will be powder coated
Posted By: BOFF

Re: Small rifle magnum primers - 01/19/23 12:42 PM

Following.

God Bless,
David B.

Re: Small rifle magnum primers - 01/20/23 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by birdcarver
Not going to shoot just lead will be powder coated

I understand but was curious if the lead could handle the stress regardless of the coating. I've seen lead bullets driven fast and the rifling mechanically strips off lead from the bearing surface. Most of the lead ends up in the lands.
Posted By: stoolshooter

Re: Small rifle magnum primers - 01/24/23 06:52 PM

Mag primers--- depends on the brand. Back in my benchrest days, I discovered that Wolf small rifle primers gave good results. The problem was that I pierced a few with the hot loads that we shoot in those custom actions. I then discovered that the Wolf srm primer was the same except it had a harder cup. They were made for the AR's but were not as hot as some of the other mag primers I still have a few cases of them
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Small rifle magnum primers - 01/24/23 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by stoolshooter
Mag primers--- depends on the brand. Back in my benchrest days, I discovered that Wolf small rifle primers gave good results. The problem was that I pierced a few with the hot loads that we shoot in those custom actions. I then discovered that the Wolf srm primer was the same except it had a harder cup. They were made for the AR's but were not as hot as some of the other mag primers I still have a few cases of them

CCI uses a harder cup in their 450 magnum primers also.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM