Aldeer.com

Powder coated bullets what will stop them

Posted By: birdcarver

Powder coated bullets what will stop them - 06/10/22 05:47 PM

What will stop them ,I've just got into powder coat have coated 30/30 152 gr , I have a place at farm I shoot at 50 yards , 5 30 inch tires stacked upon each other and filled with sand , let my Granddaughter shoot couple my old 30/30s at 50 yards and these bullets went through front side tire through sand and out back side of tire, Put up 6 2x6 boards screwed together and bullet never slowed down, Elvis ammo says coated bullets will mushroom but will not break apart, anyone on here had this experience.
Posted By: Jtb51b

Re: Powder coated bullets what will stop them - 06/10/22 06:08 PM

Going thru both sides of the tire without damage is impressive enough. 30" of sand is almost unthinkable!

Jason
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Powder coated bullets what will stop them - 06/10/22 06:25 PM

Wet the sand in your tires

Wooden frame or cooler full of wet or dry (depending on who you ask) newspaper layers 12-24in thick

Several 2Liter bottles full of water and placed in a line…line up enough bottles and one of them will catch it
Posted By: Chaser357

Re: Powder coated bullets what will stop them - 06/10/22 06:28 PM

Ar500 1/2” plate will stop them. I shoot cast powder coated 600 gr 458 socom and it really rocks the plate but doesn’t go through. I would suggest a dirt berm if you are just looking for a backstop.

Re: Powder coated bullets what will stop them - 06/10/22 06:50 PM

The sand was wet today because of rain, did shoot some plate and it splattered it, have a 55 gal drum I'm going to try, This just blows my mind which does not take much but going to figure it out, what started this was at a friends hunting club back during deer season and put a paper target on 10 thick oak and bullet went through it, going to get to the bottom of this,

Re: Powder coated bullets what will stop them - 06/10/22 06:53 PM

The one thing this proves to me is you do not want shoot deer with powder coated bullet

Re: Powder coated bullets what will stop them - 06/10/22 06:53 PM

The one thing this proves to me is you do not want shoot deer with powder coated bullet

Re: Powder coated bullets what will stop them - 06/10/22 07:39 PM

I have shot a doe with a cast powder coated bullet from a 45-70. She ran about 30 yds with a good blood trail. It’s all about shot placement. You don’t have any meat damage with a well placed shot. I would not hesitate to hunt with a powder coated bullet. But no, a hard cast bullet is not gonna mushroom like a soft point jacketed bullet. Also you can practice a lot and get really proficient with your rifle when the shots only cost around .15-.20 per shot instead of $3-$5 per shot. I still hunt with jacketed bullets too but it never hurts to have a backup plan with a few hundred pounds of lead sitting around.

Re: Powder coated bullets what will stop them - 06/10/22 08:51 PM

Agree
Posted By: 7x57_Mauser

Re: Powder coated bullets what will stop them - 06/10/22 11:17 PM

I'll be danged. Birdcarver did it go through the wet sand too?

This is good info to know. I've never thought powder coating affecting the bullet's ability to deform. I'm sure you've already evaluated what's behind the target, etc., before pulling the trigger but, I've run into some "other types" like the guy on Dolly Ridge Rd in Birmingham who has a hanging arrow target and there's a damn house 30 - 40yds behind it, no fence, no nothing.

Re: Powder coated bullets what will stop them - 06/10/22 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by 7x57_Mauser
I'll be danged. Birdcarver did it go through the wet sand too? Yes it did

This is good info to know. I've never thought powder coating affecting the bullet's ability to deform. I'm sure you've already evaluated what's behind the target, etc., before pulling the trigger but, I've run into some "other types" like the guy on Dolly Ridge Rd in Birmingham who has a hanging arrow target and there's a damn house 30 - 40yds behind it, no fence, no nothing.
Posted By: 3% outdoorsman

Re: Powder coated bullets what will stop them - 06/11/22 12:58 AM

Anyone powder coated any lead hollow point bullets to see if they penetrate deeper but expand?

Re: Powder coated bullets what will stop them - 06/11/22 10:57 AM

[Linked Image]

I’ve got some of these loaded up for coyotes in my 223 Ar. They are about 61 gr with the pc and gas check. Gonna try them on some coyotes in the near future. The alloy is wheel weights so pretty hard. I figure the hollow point will fragment off leaving the rest of the bullet to pass through. That’s just a guess though.

Re: Powder coated bullets what will stop them - 06/11/22 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Chaser357
[Linked Image]

I’ve got some of these loaded up for coyotes in my 223 Ar. They are about 61 gr with the pc and gas check. Gonna try them on some coyotes in the near future. The alloy is wheel weights so pretty hard. I figure the hollow point will fragment off leaving the rest of the bullet to pass through. That’s just a guess though.
where did you get the hollow point mold or did you make them hollow point your self

Re: Powder coated bullets what will stop them - 06/11/22 03:45 PM

It’s an NOE mold my buddy has.

NOE mold

I’m pretty sure this is the one
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Powder coated bullets what will stop them - 06/11/22 06:03 PM

Does the powder coating not come off in the barrel? I don't mean all of it, but at least some of it?

Re: Powder coated bullets what will stop them - 06/11/22 08:51 PM

I WENT TO FARM AND LOOKED AT TIRES WE SHOT YESTERDAY AND WHEN I TOOK PLYWOOD LID OFF TOP OF TIRE I FOUND WHERE THE RAIN HAD GOTTEN INTO TIRE AND WASHED A LOT THE SAND OUT OF THE TIRE ON ONE SIDE ,BULLET STILL WENT THROUGH MAYBE 8 T0 10 INCHES OF SAND AND OUT OTHER SIDE OF TIRE, SORRY FOR MISS INFORMATION , BUT GOING TO POST PICTURES OF 2X6s CREEDMORE POWDER COATED WENT THROUGH AT 50 YARDS, MR FUR I JUST FINISHED CLEANING 3 DIFFERENT 30/30s THAT WERE COATED WITH RED POWDER AND DID NOT GET ONE FLAKE OF RED ON PATCHES, PICK OF BULLETS NEXT.
Posted By: 3% outdoorsman

Re: Powder coated bullets what will stop them - 06/12/22 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Chaser357
[Linked Image]

Should be great for yotes
© 2024 ALDEER.COM