Aldeer.com

Roll crimping

Posted By: Ridge Life

Roll crimping - 03/15/22 02:31 AM

Any tips or tricks to help the looks? They shoot good but ugly as a duck
Posted By: sw1002

Re: Roll crimping - 03/15/22 04:16 AM

are you using a handheld drill or a drill press? I use a handheld and it is harder to get them to look as good. I just try to go slow and put a dab of wd40 on a q tip on end before crimping.

Re: Roll crimping - 03/15/22 11:48 AM

To be honest I started out on a drill press. It isn’t as slow as it needs to be, but I finished with a old school dewalt 18v drill and done a lot better with the drill…
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Roll crimping - 03/15/22 02:51 PM

Run the roll crimper on the shell lip for a few seconds right before you apply pressure. It heats up the hull and starts to melt it and gives a much more consistent roll crimp.
Posted By: sj22

Re: Roll crimping - 03/16/22 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Bustinbeards
Run the roll crimper on the shell lip for a few seconds right before you apply pressure. It heats up the hull and starts to melt it and gives a much more consistent roll crimp.
Posted By: Fldoghunter

Re: Roll crimping - 03/16/22 10:07 PM

Lube it a little bit with whatever you have.
Posted By: Snuffy

Re: Roll crimping - 03/20/22 01:05 PM

Invest in a Mec 600 Jr.

Re: Roll crimping - 03/21/22 02:29 AM

Will check it out

Re: Roll crimping - 03/21/22 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Snuffy
Invest in a Mec 600 Jr.

I have 2 Sizemasters, one in 16 and one in 12, and I use the roll crimper more. I like being able to make the hull fit the load instead of the other way around. I do use the presses to resize and prime when I'm not loading new hulls.
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: Roll crimping - 03/22/22 12:10 PM

If youre just concerned about the crimp then invest in a cheap Lee press and use it for the star crimp....I find my loads stay more consistent with the star crimp
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Roll crimping - 03/22/22 07:51 PM

Seriously.... many of us understand that it's not high volume... but get a real press. Otherwise it's amatuer hour.

Re: Roll crimping - 03/23/22 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Goatkiller
Seriously.... many of us understand that it's not high volume... but get a real press. Otherwise it's amatuer hour.

I wouldn't call it amateur. It's surely not high volume. I have some great shooting loads that just can't be made with a fold crimp.
Posted By: TurkeyJoe

Re: Roll crimping - 03/30/22 10:40 AM

A little 3-1 oil around the end of each shell with a q-tip helps a lot. I’d try the press again and take it slow. You don’t have to make the entire crimp at one time. Go a little ways then look at it. When I make ugly crimps, it’s because I pressed down too much or let it spin too long. Good luck!!

Re: Roll crimping - 03/30/22 10:29 PM

When my shell has been fired it has splits along the crimp… too much crimp?
© 2024 ALDEER.COM