Aldeer.com

Best Brass for the $$.....

Posted By: BentBarrel

Best Brass for the $$..... - 02/12/21 07:41 PM

I need a supply of new brass for a couple new-to-me calibers. Not much available, but did notice some Nosler, and also Lapua available. Have heard reports of loose primer pockets in the Nosler brass after just one firing, that's totally unacceptable. So I'm skeptical. The Lapua is expensive, but heard it holds up well. Might be worth it, if it really holds up to many firings. My experience is mostly with R-P, Win, Starline, and Hornady.

What do the Aldeer reloading experts have to say from their experience..... best, worse, worth it/not worth it....what say ye??
Posted By: Jtb51b

Re: Best Brass for the $$..... - 02/12/21 07:47 PM

Lapua is good brass but its expensive. If you push the envelope on speed then good brass is a must. If you load on on the milder side you can get by with most anything.

Jason
Posted By: riflenut

Re: Best Brass for the $$..... - 02/12/21 08:04 PM

I like ADG and Lapua when I'm looking for something special in accuracy or speed.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Best Brass for the $$..... - 02/12/21 08:15 PM

What cartridge are you looking to buy brass?

If Lapua makes the brass you are needing then you should buy it. It's only expensive on the front but it will outlast all others. Very consistent weight and thickness, and is as good as it gets IMHO.

I use Nosler for a couple rifles and its very good also. Never had an issue with loose primer pockets. Only issue I've had is tight pockets and needing to uniform the depth with a cutter. The cost of Nosler brass is very high and not a good value. It's NOT better than Lapua but they make a much larger selection. For some cartridges, they are the only manufacturer.

Norma makes excellent quality brass also, but same primer pocket issues as Nosler. When Nosler first got into the brass market, it was manufactured by Norma. Don't know if this is still the case but I suspect it is because of the similarities.

Hornady has stepped into the brass market in a big way and makes good brass at reasonable prices. I've bought some recently and it is pretty consistent also. Probably the best value for quality and price. Haven't shot enough to know if it will last but my first impressions are good.

Current manufacture Winchester brass is garbage.

There are now a few premium brass manufacturing companies in the good ol USA, but the selection is limited. Alpha, ADG and Peterson make match quality brass, but it's not widely distributed.
Posted By: 3% outdoorsman

Re: Best Brass for the $$..... - 02/12/21 09:18 PM

The lapua I've bought has always been really good but i got some peterson here recently that's looks amazing but haven't tested yet.the Hornady match brass has been decent.
Hopefully the Peterson brass lives up to all the hype and good to see someone in USA can make good brass
Yeah winchester rifle brass is inconsistent

Re: Best Brass for the $$..... - 02/12/21 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by AU338MAG
What cartridge are you looking to buy brass?

If Lapua makes the brass you are needing then you should buy it. It's only expensive on the front but it will outlast all others. Very consistent weight and thickness, and is as good as it gets IMHO.

I use Nosler for a couple rifles and its very good also. Never had an issue with loose primer pockets. Only issue I've had is tight pockets and needing to uniform the depth with a cutter. The cost of Nosler brass is very high and not a good value. It's NOT better than Lapua but they make a much larger selection. For some cartridges, they are the only manufacturer.

Norma makes excellent quality brass also, but same primer pocket issues as Nosler. When Nosler first got into the brass market, it was manufactured by Norma. Don't know if this is still the case but I suspect it is because of the similarities.

Hornady has stepped into the brass market in a big way and makes good brass at reasonable prices. I've bought some recently and it is pretty consistent also. Probably the best value for quality and price. Haven't shot enough to know if it will last but my first impressions are good.

Current manufacture Winchester brass is garbage.

There are now a few premium brass manufacturing companies in the good ol USA, but the selection is limited. Alpha, ADG and Peterson make match quality brass, but it's not widely distributed.

6.8SPC and 6.5CM

Re: Best Brass for the $$..... - 02/12/21 09:25 PM

Lapua brass will be hard to beat with the 6.5 CM. IIRC it is only available with SRP pockets, so keep that in mind.

Re: Best Brass for the $$..... - 02/12/21 09:48 PM

Y'all are rough on my wallet. There are 100 pieces of Lapua 6.5CM brass on the way to me, LRP pockets. And yes, AU338MAG, it is also offered with SRP pockets. After shipping and tax, most I believe I have ever paid for unprimed brass: $1.15 each.

Re: Best Brass for the $$..... - 02/12/21 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by BentBarrel
Y'all are rough on my wallet. There are 100 pieces of Lapua 6.5CM brass on the way to me, LRP pockets. And yes, AU338MAG, it is also offered with SRP pockets. After shipping and tax, most I believe I have ever paid for unprimed brass: $1.15 each.

Couldn't remember if they offered it with LRP.

But, the 6.5 Gheymoor is not something I load. grin

I think you will be very happy with the brass. If you anneal it every few firings it may last you forever.

Re: Best Brass for the $$..... - 02/12/21 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by AU338MAG
Originally Posted by BentBarrel

Couldn't remember if they offered it with LRP.

But, the 6.5 Gheymoor is not something I load. grin

I think you will be very happy with the brass. If you anneal it every few firings it may last you forever.

Per previous owner, this Gheymoor is a shooter and has a particular fondness for 129gr Hornadys. Gonna put it through its paces and find out.

Aaawwwwww c'mon AU338MAG........not going to debate LRP vs. SRP ? Would love to hear your thoughts on that, BTW

Re: Best Brass for the $$..... - 02/12/21 10:18 PM

lol

Someone better than me will have to debate on the merits of the SRP over a LRP. I just stick with the LRP in my 308 since I've already got a few hundred Lapua LRP cases.

I'm betting the brass will outlast the barrel. grin
Posted By: 1bamashooter

Re: Best Brass for the $$..... - 02/12/21 11:20 PM

Lapua ADG Peterson Norma all good choices. Then again I've got some Hornady 243 and remington 7stw brass that has 5 to 8 loadings on it my some of my lapua br formed to dasher brass has 9 or 10 loadings but these are not hot loads
Posted By: dave260rem!

Re: Best Brass for the $$..... - 02/12/21 11:33 PM

Lapua is quality. Always felt rifles needed large rifle primers.
Posted By: 1bamashooter

Re: Best Brass for the $$..... - 02/13/21 12:16 AM

Nah 308 Palma cases are SR primers and I can get better SD out of them than LR
Posted By: Sandmtnslayer

Re: Best Brass for the $$..... - 02/13/21 12:18 AM

I like the nosler brass
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: Best Brass for the $$..... - 02/13/21 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Sandmtnslayer
I like the nosler brass

I buy Nosler often as possible
Posted By: Hangfire

Re: Best Brass for the $$..... - 02/13/21 07:41 PM

For 6.8 spc brass I think the sellier& bellot brass is the best. I know the softest is federal for 6.8. The remington brass in 6.8 is the only large rifle primers brass made now I believe. The old SSA brass was good for 6.8 too. Now it’s made by Nosler.

Not sure on the 6.5, but if lapua makes it, you probably can’t go wrong for a reloader.
Posted By: Solothurn

Re: Best Brass for the $$..... - 02/15/21 03:44 PM

Lapua is best, Starline is second best and best for the money in my opinion.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM