Aldeer.com

Wet tumbling

Posted By: Ar1220

Wet tumbling - 02/01/21 08:47 PM

Any yuns set up to do it?
What all is needed?
Better yet anybody around east central al wanna do 30 pieces for me?
I acquired some brass that needs a lilore than corn cob seems wet is the ticket to clean it back up
Posted By: Hangfire

Re: Wet tumbling - 02/01/21 09:06 PM

I bought a setup but haven’t used it. It’s a thumblers tumbler I think the machine name is. And it has stainless steel pins in it. And you add this cleaner called lemi-shine. And just let it spin and agitate I was told. Then dry them.
Posted By: Dixiepatriot

Re: Wet tumbling - 02/01/21 10:11 PM

I have a Franklin Arsenal with ss pins. Works good. They have a smaller version now that I would get if buying now.
Posted By: Jtb51b

Re: Wet tumbling - 02/01/21 10:19 PM

I have the frankfort aresenal one also. Works great. I actually have 2 of them, but only use one. They will clean up any brass. I also use straight citric acid from work (granular) and it doesn't take much or long to make brass look new. If your ever up my way I would be happy to run them thru for you. I decap them then run them so the primer pockets get clean also.

Jason
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Wet tumbling - 02/01/21 10:20 PM

Frankford arsenal sells a wet tumbler with the pins included and is less expensive than a Thumlers.

Use a squirt of Dawn and a teaspoon of Lemishine. Cleans em inside and out like new.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Wet tumbling - 02/01/21 10:24 PM

What he said
Posted By: 1bamashooter

Re: Wet tumbling - 02/01/21 10:40 PM

Don't get a HF one mine lasted 2 tumbles and shat the bed

Re: Wet tumbling - 02/02/21 12:04 AM

FYI lemishine is citric acid. Not sure if it’s as pure as what I am using, or better? Mines cheap tho. But yes. That works great, I don’t use dawn as much as I used to as it reacts with my hornady case lube and can be a bear to get off. But if you don’t use hornady one shot lube your fine.
Jason

Re: Wet tumbling - 02/02/21 12:09 AM

I use hornady one shot. I use dawn and lemishine too and I’ve never had any issues

Re: Wet tumbling - 02/02/21 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag
I use hornady one shot. I use dawn and lemishine too and I’ve never had any issues

Hmmm, I wonder if its the citric I am using is too strong then? It doesnt always do it, but when it does its like a black greasy substance that I have to clean with mean green to get off. Once the black is off, they are clean and polished underneath. Strange.

Jason

Re: Wet tumbling - 02/02/21 01:45 AM

I’ve never ever had anything of that sorts happen. And I clean a lot.
Posted By: johnmcgowan

Re: Wet tumbling - 02/02/21 01:58 AM

I've got the harbor freight dual and run steel chips from Southern Shine media ,they come out great.

Re: Wet tumbling - 02/02/21 02:05 AM

I bet I am putting too much citric in there, or too much dawn? Who knows, I haven't cleaned much since I moved (3 years ago). When I was living in Gardendale I had nothing better to do than run brass, so I did. I have a bucket or more of ready to load stuff in about every caliber. May do some 9mm one day soon tho, and maybe some 223 so i will pay attention to how much I put it in there.

Jason

Re: Wet tumbling - 02/02/21 02:49 AM

Same here.
Posted By: ultratec00

Re: Wet tumbling - 02/02/21 01:46 PM

Person I know who sells brass commercially recommended lemishine. I'm sold and won't go back. It cleans brass, or nickel, noticeably better than the cleaning solution that came with my FA tumbler. Just need to remember not to mix brass and nickel together when tumbling else the nickel will be off color. Also reduce the tumble time when cleaning nickel.
Posted By: fladeerhntr

Re: Wet tumbling - 02/03/21 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jtb51b

I bet I am putting too much citric in there, or too much dawn? Who knows, I haven't cleaned much since I moved (3 years ago). When I was living in Gardendale I had nothing better to do than run brass, so I did. I have a bucket or more of ready to load stuff in about every caliber. May do some 9mm one day soon tho, and maybe some 223 so i will pay attention to how much I put it in there.

Jason

I've had the same exact thing happen to me several times that you have described and haven't figured out what I'm doing wrong yet. It leaves a black oily film as you described and the only way to get it off is to clean each one lne at the time or tumble them again after dumping the dirty water and washing with clean water. I am using a thumblers tumbler with the dawn and lemishine mixture.

Re: Wet tumbling - 02/03/21 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by fladeerhntr
Originally Posted by Jtb51b

Jason

I've had the same exact thing happen to me several times that you have described and haven't figured out what I'm doing wrong yet. It leaves a black oily film as you described and the only way to get it off is to clean each one lne at the time or tumble them again after dumping the dirty water and washing with clean water. I am using a thumblers tumbler with the dawn and lemishine mixture.

I rinse the brass with hot water about 5 times after tumbling.
Posted By: riflenut

Re: Wet tumbling - 02/04/21 10:53 AM

For you guys that are wet tumbling, how are you drying your brass? Just letting it sit or something else?
Posted By: fladeerhntr

Re: Wet tumbling - 02/04/21 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by riflenut
For you guys that are wet tumbling, how are you drying your brass? Just letting it sit or something else?

I put a towel on the counter and just spread the brass out on it and let them sit for a day or 2. If you dont have that kind of time to wait I've read where some put them in the oven.
Posted By: ultratec00

Re: Wet tumbling - 02/04/21 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by riflenut

I do most of my tumbling in the summer time on a nice sunny day. Do a quick rinse in distilled water, spread out on window screen material, and simply set them on my pavement. You'd be surprised how quick the brass heats up and dries out on a 80+ degree day sitting in the sun. If you go to wallyworld, there are sliding window screens that work like a champ. They're not expensive, can be used as a strainer to filter out the stainless steel pins when draining the tumbler, then used for drying too.

Re: Wet tumbling - 02/04/21 06:50 PM

During the summer I put mine in a colander and set them on the air conditioner unit outside and let the sun and wind do it. During the winter I put them in a metal colander and put them on the wood stove. Works well for me.

Jason

Re: Wet tumbling - 02/04/21 07:21 PM

After tumbling and rinsing, I separate the pins in a media separator. Then put them into reloading blocks a use a hair dryer on high to dry them.

[Linked Image]

Shiny clean inside and out. thumbup

Re: Wet tumbling - 02/05/21 12:25 AM

I put my brass in a pillow case and set on shelf in clothes dryer
Posted By: JRigs10

Re: Wet tumbling - 02/05/21 06:03 PM

Placing brass in a pan in the oven at 150-200°F for 20 - 30 mins works great for drying if you're short on time.
Posted By: Hangfire

Re: Wet tumbling - 02/07/21 11:02 PM

I’ve heard of guys using an old food dehydrator to dry their brass also. If a guy found an old one at a garage sale it might be worth a try.
Posted By: nitroexpress

Re: Wet tumbling - 03/14/21 09:53 AM

Mine goes into a pillowcase. I grab the ends and lift each end so brass tumbles to other end back an forth about 20 times. Than just pour out on a towel to finish drying overnight.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: CKyleC

Re: Wet tumbling - 03/14/21 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Hangfire
I’ve heard of guys using an old food dehydrator to dry their brass also. If a guy found an old one at a garage sale it might be worth a try.

The "brass dryers" are nothing but a dehydrator with different stickers on it
Posted By: Dixiepatriot

Re: Wet tumbling - 03/14/21 05:40 PM

I just spread them out on a towel in the sun.
Posted By: trlrdrdave

Re: Wet tumbling - 03/14/21 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by 1bamashooter
Don't get a HF one mine lasted 2 tumbles and shat the bed

Hmm I use the HF double rock tumbler and a pvc drum i made. Its done hundreds of batches.
Posted By: Uokman2014

Re: Wet tumbling - 03/15/21 10:17 PM

I dry mine with a dehydrator - works like a charm.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM