Aldeer.com

Tumbler

Posted By: lefthorn

Tumbler - 08/18/20 04:09 PM

Ok, my Hornady sonic cleaner died on me. Think I want to go the tumbler route this time. What y’all recommend? I don’t reload a ton of bullets so don’t need anything too big
Posted By: odocoileus

Re: Tumbler - 08/18/20 04:42 PM

I've got a cabelas branded vibratory tumbler that has been a good one for ten plus years. Started with corncob, then moved to walnut, next step will be stainless pins. Some folks go the rotary tumbler route with pins and liquid cleaner.
Posted By: Dixiepatriot

Re: Tumbler - 08/18/20 05:08 PM

I have a Franklin Armory with the pins. Now they have a smaller version you might consider.
Posted By: deadeyesdad

Re: Tumbler - 08/18/20 05:38 PM

I’ll second the Frankford Armory with pins. Been using it about two years and love it.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Tumbler - 08/18/20 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by deadeyesdad
I’ll second the Frankford Armory with pins. Been using it about two years and love it.

X2. Bought this a couple years ago and my vibratory tumbler gathers dust.

Re: Tumbler - 08/18/20 06:06 PM

What all will I need to get started with the rotary tumbler and pins
Posted By: deadeyesdad

Re: Tumbler - 08/18/20 07:17 PM

The kit I bought came with the pins and a sample packet of the cleaning liquid. I have since bought a bottle of the same stuff. I have heard you can use other polishes like lemi-shine, but I have not tried it. You will also need a five gallon bucket to catch the pins in when rinsing. They make a magnet for picking up the pins, but I use an old magnet wrapped in a ziplock bag to pick them up.
Posted By: dave260rem!

Re: Tumbler - 08/18/20 11:19 PM

Naturally Dave uses Dillon with walnut media.

Re: Tumbler - 08/19/20 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by deadeyesdad
The kit I bought came with the pins and a sample packet of the cleaning liquid. I have since bought a bottle of the same stuff. I have heard you can use other polishes like lemi-shine, but I have not tried it. You will also need a five gallon bucket to catch the pins in when rinsing. They make a magnet for picking up the pins, but I use an old magnet wrapped in a ziplock bag to pick them up.

Frankford arsenal kit comes with a magnet.

Squirt of Dawn and a teaspoon of Lemi Shine works.
Posted By: ultratec00

Re: Tumbler - 08/19/20 12:30 PM

Also have the Frankfort Arsenal tumbler. After trying all the various options out there, the tumbler with stainless steel pins is by far the most effective for cleaning brass. Commercial brass processor turned me on to Lemi Shine recently and it really opened my eyes compared to the detergent that came in the package. Nickel and brass turn out immaculate.
Posted By: 3% outdoorsman

Re: Tumbler - 08/21/20 03:01 AM

Well shoot guess I'll graduate to the stainless pins myself.can I quit cleaning primer pockets if I do this?
Posted By: ultratec00

Re: Tumbler - 08/21/20 01:06 PM

If the brass is already de-primed, yes. The tumbler and pins will clean inside and out, including primer pocket.

Re: Tumbler - 08/21/20 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by 3% outdoorsman
Well shoot guess I'll graduate to the stainless pins myself.can I quit cleaning primer pockets if I do this?

Cases will be spotless inside and out. I decap the brass and drop it in. Two hours later it's sparkling.

Re: Tumbler - 08/21/20 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by AU338MAG
Originally Posted by 3% outdoorsman

Cases will be spotless inside and out. I decap the brass and drop it in. Two hours later it's sparkling.

Man that sweet
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Tumbler - 08/22/20 10:46 AM

I cleaned a massive amount of brass a few years ago and still haven't loaded all of it. To dry it after tumbling in the pins I either spread it out on a towel on the patio table and let the sun dry it or put it on a cookie sheet(s) in the oven and turn the oven as low as it will go for an hour or so.
Posted By: johnmcgowan

Re: Tumbler - 08/23/20 12:01 AM

I have a Harbor Freight vibratory that now sits unused. I swapped over to wet tumbling using Southern Shine stainless media chips, Dawn and Lemi-shine and have been more than pleased while using a Harbor Freight dual drum rock tumbler. I am not a high volume brass guy. Word of caution using Lemi-shine, use only a pinch! Too much and your brass will turn a nice girlie colored pink.

Re: Tumbler - 08/23/20 02:37 AM

Well, despite everyone’s recommendations for the steel pin rotary tumbler, I just couldn’t afford that right now. Had a coupon for $20 off and ended up with this. Hoped it would come with a sample of media but it did not. So gotta make a run to the store sometime soon

[Linked Image]

Re: Tumbler - 08/23/20 02:47 AM

Well at least you won't have to dry brass in dehydrator,oven,or outside.only downside is cleaning primer pockets but I'm right there with you maybe Santa will bring me a rotary tumbler and brass dryer!
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Tumbler - 08/23/20 11:44 AM

For media, get lizard bedding/walnut hull chips at a pet store. That's all you need. Put a dryer sheet or 2 in with the brass and that will help soak up the dust that's created during use.
Posted By: dave260rem!

Re: Tumbler - 08/23/20 12:53 PM

Lyman makes good stuff.
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: Tumbler - 08/23/20 10:02 PM

I have the same tumbler lefthorn. It doesn't a good job. I'm gonna mix some bb's with my media the next batch I clean.

Re: Tumbler - 08/27/20 01:00 AM

Cleaned up nicely

[Linked Image]
© 2024 ALDEER.COM