Aldeer.com

Concentricity Gauge

Posted By: Abram

Concentricity Gauge - 01/12/20 01:09 AM

how many handloaders on here using concentricity gauge and which one do you prefer?
Posted By: dave260rem!

Re: Concentricity Gauge - 01/12/20 01:39 AM

Abram I've messed about with a Sinclair and co-ax both worked fine. The co-ax gauge had bigger numbers than the Sinclair. You turning benchrester on us?
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Concentricity Gauge - 01/12/20 02:21 AM

I prefer the Sinclair. I also use a Redding case neck thickness gauge, which is a great tool. You'll find that you can't achieve concentric loads if the brass has large variations in thickness. These gauges are one reason I've decided to quit using Winchester brass. Last batch of 7X57 brass varies as much as .004 in neck thickness and you can't load concentric rounds with this crap.

Dave260, I didn't like the Forster gauge and I think the design is flawed. I'm a big fan of all things Forster, except their concentricity gauge.

Re: Concentricity Gauge - 01/12/20 02:36 AM

No, not really into the bench rest thing Dave but I do want to build more accurate ammo and I have had great success so far, I was just thinking that maybe sorting my rifle brass and checking things like the concentricity and neck thickness may help em to eek out a little more accuracy. I want to get into long range shooting, we will see, I really do not have a range close by to test the loads I develop.
Posted By: 1bamashooter

Re: Concentricity Gauge - 01/12/20 04:06 AM

Sinclair but the 21st century is better. Also you will need a neck thickness gauge to check for neck thickness a concentricity gauge is for measuring runout of loaded bullets or sized necks. Get on YouTube and watch the reloading videos for benchrest shooting you will learn tons because really you want to load like a br shooter to get the most out of your rifle
Posted By: dave260rem!

Re: Concentricity Gauge - 01/12/20 04:12 AM

Cool Abram,AU(since I don't know your real name.) I think someone paid Forster to use that design.I would say how tight the groups were with the .222 we were being kinda serious loadwise with but people would accuse me of Internet braggery. Will say those 50 grain noslers were quite close together.

Re: Concentricity Gauge - 01/12/20 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by 1bamashooter
Sinclair but the 21st century is better. Also you will need a neck thickness gauge to check for neck thickness a concentricity gauge is for measuring runout of loaded bullets or sized necks. Get on YouTube and watch the reloading videos for benchrest shooting you will learn tons because really you want to load like a br shooter to get the most out of your rifle

I would have bought the 21st century when someone showed me one but I already had the Sinclair.
Posted By: jacannon

Re: Concentricity Gauge - 01/13/20 07:02 PM

I have the Sinclair.

Re: Concentricity Gauge - 01/15/20 06:29 PM

How often do you guys use the gauge?

Re: Concentricity Gauge - 01/15/20 07:44 PM

I use it on every round I load. Powder the case, seat the bullet and roll it on the gauge while my RCBS chargemaster is weighing out the next charge. Mark and segregate any rounds that have more run out than I want.

Re: Concentricity Gauge - 01/16/20 06:48 PM

I check necks after setting up my sizing die then every 20 or so. I'll check loaded after seating the first few bullets but a wilson inline and my hydro press makes them with very little runout.

Re: Concentricity Gauge - 01/18/20 10:44 PM

I may get the Sinclair as that is all my budget will allow right now

Re: Concentricity Gauge - 01/19/20 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Abram
I may get the Sinclair as that is all my budget will allow right now

Nothing wrong with a Sinclair I love mine had it for years you will like it but it takes some practice to get good with it especially on short cartridges like my Dasher

Re: Concentricity Gauge - 01/19/20 02:26 AM

Check out Accurateshooter.com you can find them used fairly cheap
© 2024 ALDEER.COM