Aldeer.com

Wanting to reload

Posted By: twaldrop4

Wanting to reload - 07/02/18 06:29 PM

What do I need to buy in order to be able to come home and get started. Are there any kits that I can by. Any brands to stay away from. I have 0 knowledge.
Posted By: odocoileus

Re: Wanting to reload - 07/02/18 06:48 PM

Buy a RCBS rock chucker master supreme and you will be good to go. Even if you are loading pistol, a single stage is the way to go starting out. The only thing you will need is components, and dies and she'll holders for your calibers. There are a lot of little gadgets that help but the RCBS kit has just about all you need. Lifetime warranty.
Posted By: treemydog

Re: Wanting to reload - 07/02/18 07:12 PM

RCBS and Hornady lock and load kits ... sometimes you can catch them on sale for a great deal.

My Lyman crusher press came in just such a kit, on just such a sale. It has paid for itself more than twice with the ammo I've made over the years.
Posted By: Dixiepatriot

Re: Wanting to reload - 07/02/18 07:34 PM

Odo has givien you the best advice your gonna get. After you get a little experience you know what other goodies you want.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Wanting to reload - 07/02/18 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by odocoileus
Buy a RCBS rock chucker master supreme and you will be good to go. Even if you are loading pistol, a single stage is the way to go. The only thing you will need is components, and dies and she'll holders for your calibers. There are a lot of little gadgets that help but the RCBS kit has just about all you need. Lifetime warranty.

X2.
Posted By: riflenut

Re: Wanting to reload - 07/02/18 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by AU338MAG
Originally Posted by odocoileus
Buy a RCBS rock chucker master supreme and you will be good to go. Even if you are loading pistol, a single stage is the way to go. The only thing you will need is components, and dies and she'll holders for your calibers. There are a lot of little gadgets that help but the RCBS kit has just about all you need. Lifetime warranty.

X2.

X3

Re: Wanting to reload - 07/03/18 12:32 AM

Thanks. That's what I needed to know.
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: Wanting to reload - 07/03/18 12:52 AM

I bought the hornady kit a few years back and I've been happy with it.

Re: Wanting to reload - 07/03/18 12:56 AM

I ain't angry at the Hornady gear either. I just went green when I got into the hobby, and their customer service dept has treated me better than I deserve. Therefore, I give them 95% of my business.
Posted By: Stob

Re: Wanting to reload - 07/03/18 02:43 AM

RCBS is good stuff.
Posted By: jawbone

Re: Wanting to reload - 07/03/18 02:45 AM

Sonny Gibbs is the local man to ask about reloading for us.

Re: Wanting to reload - 07/03/18 12:11 PM

Will I need something to check muzzle velocities?

Re: Wanting to reload - 07/03/18 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by twaldrop4

Not necessarily, but it is another useful tool. I've had a chronograph for 10 years and have probably only used it 10 times.

Re: Wanting to reload - 07/03/18 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by jawbone
Sonny Gibbs is the local man to ask about reloading for us.

Really? Never would have guessed that.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Wanting to reload - 07/03/18 01:31 PM

A chronograph is a handloaders best friend, but it is not necessary to get started. Buy the RCBS kit and a couple of bullet manufacturers handloading guides. I always recommend the Sierra guide as a starting point, and you can buy others as time goes on.

READ THE GUIDES COMPLETELY AND UNDERSTAND THE PROCESS BEFORE LOADING!! Also, the internet can have some good, helpful information and a lot of bad, dangerous information. BE CAREFUL!

Re: Wanting to reload - 07/03/18 02:17 PM

10/4. I've got a couple friends who have been loading for a while that I am going to get to help me once I get my stuff so I don't kill myself lol
Posted By: BamaGrad85

Re: Wanting to reload - 07/04/18 01:44 AM

Start your loads low and build up. Read the aldeer threads too. A lot of good folks on here who'll answer your questions.
Posted By: tshane57

Re: Wanting to reload - 07/24/18 04:25 PM

If you are close to Montgomery, follow the Walter Craig's sporting goods store on facebook. I took a class with Bill Hassig there that was sponsored by Hornady earlier this year. I believe he said he would be coming back later that year for another class. It was a great class for beginners!!!
Posted By: Fldoghunter

Re: Wanting to reload - 07/31/18 12:16 PM

If you aren't wanting to drop a bunch of money all at once, there isn't anything wrong with the Lee kit. I have since upgraded most of the pieces, mostly through flea markets and yard sales, but I can't tell that any of the RCBS equipment really works any better than the Lee stuff did. The Lee press presses a bullet straight, as does the RCBS and Hollywood presses I picked up used. The scale that comes with the kit, though cheap, was always accurate. I only upgraded because I wanted to weigh more than 100 grains. The Lee powder thrower was actually a little more consistent than the RCBS Uniflow I picked up used. I have used Lee, Hornady and RCBS dies and prefer Lee. The only dies I will never buy again are Hornady.
Posted By: R_H_Clark

Re: Wanting to reload - 07/31/18 08:34 PM

You could spend as little or as much as you want on it. It all depends on what you want out of it and your personality.
Posted By: Hangfire

Re: Wanting to reload - 09/23/18 01:01 AM

What do I need to buy in order to be able to come home and get started. Are there any kits that I can by. Any brands to stay away from. I have 0 knowledge.

Curious what you chose to get started if you were able to yet?
© 2024 ALDEER.COM