Aldeer.com

RCBS Chargemaster.

Posted By: AU338MAG

RCBS Chargemaster. - 06/07/18 09:30 PM

After rolling my own with a powder measure and balance beam scale for 35 years, I finally ordered a Chargemaster today. Brownells has a good price on them right now and decided to take the plunge. It may take a while before I can trust it.
Posted By: Dixiepatriot

Re: RCBS Chargemaster. - 06/07/18 09:39 PM

I always wondered how much you can trust them myself.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: RCBS Chargemaster. - 06/08/18 01:05 AM

I love my Chargemaster. I got tired of the inconsistency of a beam scale.
Posted By: odocoileus

Re: RCBS Chargemaster. - 06/08/18 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by N2TRKYS
I got tired of the inconsistency of a beam scale.

Not trying to incite a riot, but please clarify this statement for me. What leads you to believe a mechanical beam scale to be inconsistent?

Re: RCBS Chargemaster. - 06/08/18 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by odocoileus
I got tired of the inconsistency of a beam scale.

Not trying to incite a riot, but please clarify this statement for me. What leads you to believe a mechanical beam scale to be inconsistent?

It doesn't measure the a check weight the same each time.
Posted By: odocoileus

Re: RCBS Chargemaster. - 06/08/18 01:56 PM

Then I'd believe something is going on with the scale. As crazy as it sounds, dust and dirt in the pivot points can do weird things on a scale. I am not trying to say an electronic scale is inaccurate or inconsistent, but it all depends on the precision of the scale. Most of the ones I have seen say +/- 0.1 grain. I have not done enough load development to translate this into consistency of loaded rounds, and I realize there are many other factors that contribute to it that make make it a moot point. I also realize that the "consistency" in a beam scale is solely subjective to my eye putting the the line to the same place each time.

All that aside, everyone I know that has a chargemaster says it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: RCBS Chargemaster. - 06/08/18 02:09 PM

It took me a while to get used to the chargemaster. I just didn't trust it and I'd reweigh the load on a beam scale to be sure. once I built confidence in the electronics I learned to trust them that being said I still reweigh randomly for my own peace of mind

Re: RCBS Chargemaster. - 06/08/18 03:38 PM

Your beam scale may be a POS. clean the knife and pivot points. I've used RCBS and Redding beam scales and never had an issue.

I bought a Lyman digital scale a few years ago and it drove me crazy. Wouldn't stay zeroed, inconsistent readings, and it crapped out completely in less than a year. I have read mostly good reviews on the Chargemaster, and its why I decided to give digital scales another try since the price was right.

Re: RCBS Chargemaster. - 06/08/18 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by odocoileus
Then I'd believe something is going on with the scale. As crazy as it sounds, dust and dirt in the pivot points can do weird things on a scale. I am not trying to say an electronic scale is inaccurate or inconsistent, but it all depends on the precision of the scale. Most of the ones I have seen say +/- 0.1 grain. I have not done enough load development to translate this into consistency of loaded rounds, and I realize there are many other factors that contribute to it that make make it a moot point. I also realize that the "consistency" in a beam scale is solely subjective to my eye putting the the line to the same place each time.

All that aside, everyone I know that has a chargemaster says it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

If you get into an accuracy node, it seems like you have room for error in your powder charges. I believe this is why a lot of folks build consistent loads by using a powder thrower.

This has just been my observation from my short time reloading. YMMV

Re: RCBS Chargemaster. - 06/08/18 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by AU338MAG

Your beam scale may be a POS. clean the knife and pivot points. I've used RCBS and Redding beam scales and never had an issue.

I bought a Lyman digital scale a few years ago and it drove me crazy. Wouldn't stay zeroed, inconsistent readings, and it crapped out completely in less than a year. I have read mostly good reviews on the Chargemaster, and its why I decided to give digital scales another try since the price was right.

Mine is a RCBS beam scale. I can level is out, move the weights on it, then move them back and it won't return to zero. Not worth the inconsistency to me.
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: RCBS Chargemaster. - 06/09/18 05:08 PM

I really like my GemPro 250.
Posted By: Fun4all

Re: RCBS Chargemaster. - 07/22/18 06:15 PM

Panhandle Precision this guy used the Chargemaster only. May want to see some of his other videos on long range shooting and checking zero on his scope/rifles. He is results driven for accuracy/consistency in hunting not just punching paper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5bvOyfZS40&t=1279s
Posted By: Fun4all

Re: RCBS Chargemaster. - 07/22/18 06:23 PM

Some of Panhandle hunting shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogiLSyMGOzw
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: RCBS Chargemaster. - 07/23/18 04:12 PM

I always check the first couple the Chargemaster throws on a separate simple electronic scale. They are cheap and easy. Just take it and pour it on the other scale to double check. The odds of both being wrong by the exact same would be essentially zero. No more risk than a beam scale in my mind and way easier.

But you also check with the provided weights on the chargemaster itself while setting it up, etc.

Not much risk here guys if you do it properly.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: RCBS Chargemaster. - 07/23/18 04:18 PM

AU338MAG - get you a couple soda straws handy you need to just do that mod from the start. Cut off a couple inches and shove it in the tube where the powder comes out assuming they still have not done a factory enhancement on this. I'm not going to say "fix" because it ain't broke but the straw trick is necessary IMO just makes it throw way more accurately.

Re: RCBS Chargemaster. - 07/23/18 04:47 PM

Thanks GK. I will look into the straw mod. I have not used it yet just checked to see that the scales were calibrated with the check weights and verified a charge weighed on my Redding balance beam scale. Too damn hot for shooting now and I have plenty loaded right now.

Re: RCBS Chargemaster. - 08/12/18 01:31 AM

Well I finally got around to using the Chargemaster today. Loaded 50 rounds of 308 ammunition. Only thing I can say is, why in the cornbread hell did I not get one of these magnificent machines years ago.
Posted By: BOFF

Re: RCBS Chargemaster. - 08/12/18 11:28 PM

Well I finally got around to using the Chargemaster today. Loaded 50 rounds of 308 ammunition. Only thing I can say is, why in the cornbread hell did I not get one of these magnificent machines years ago.

Yep!!

They are great to use!

God Bless,
David B.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: RCBS Chargemaster. - 08/21/18 01:33 AM

Only thing I'll ever use anymore
Posted By: trlrdrdave

Re: RCBS Chargemaster. - 11/15/18 05:24 AM

Amazon has some good prices on the chargemaster lite right now if anybody is interested!
Posted By: 1bamashooter

Re: RCBS Chargemaster. - 11/15/18 11:13 AM

They are fairly accurate I thought they were more accurate until I got a Auto trickler and A&D 120i
Posted By: joshm28

Re: RCBS Chargemaster. - 11/19/18 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag
Only thing I'll ever use anymore

Me too
Posted By: silent_warrior

Re: RCBS Chargemaster. - 01/25/19 09:43 AM

The best money that I have ever spent on reloading......besides Sierra bullets.
Posted By: Jtb51b

Re: RCBS Chargemaster. - 01/27/19 02:31 PM

Midsouth Shooters supply has them on sale for $369. Not sure if thats a good buy or not, I just got an email this morning and thought I would share. I use a Lyman and it does just fine for me but the RCBS has great reviews.

Jason

Re: RCBS Chargemaster. - 01/28/19 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jtb51b
Midsouth Shooters supply has them on sale for $369. Not sure if thats a good buy or not, I just got an email this morning and thought I would share. I use a Lyman and it does just fine for me but the RCBS has great reviews.

Jason

Not a good deal. It you wait and look for the right sales, you can find them for around $270.
Posted By: Jtb51b

Re: RCBS Chargemaster. - 01/29/19 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jtb51b

Jason

Not a good deal. It you wait and look for the right sales, you can find them for around $270.

Good to know. FYI same folks have the Hornady version of this for $157 this morning. Not sure if thats a good buy, or even a good unit but its there.

Jason
© 2024 ALDEER.COM